Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/24/2007 7:32:43 AM EST
I am wondering if it is a law that you have to have a transfer/purchase permit to buy one, or if its just how FFL dealers do it. I would like to get a lower and because i am in WI during the week, its hard for me to get to a police dept to apply for a permit. As far as I have read there is no law saying i have to get a permit, so couldnt i just get one in WI?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 7:46:27 AM EST
In MN, you need a purchase permit to buy a handgun or an AR receiver (and some other rifle receivers). PERIOD.

You can buy one of these F2F in MN, but as a WI resident, I am not sure that is legal as it is technically a purchase across state lines.

Check with your local authorities about the laws in WI, but my guess is that they are very similar if not identical.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 8:21:57 AM EST
I am a MN resident but i live in WI when i am at school. Is it actually a law that I have to have a permit to purchase? Can i purchase one in WI without a permit to purchase if there law says I dont need one?
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:23:11 AM EST
The law of the state of residence is the kicker! MN Resdient means you have to have a permit to purchase or carry.

Originally Posted By djcslice:
I am a MN resident but i live in WI when i am at school. Is it actually a law that I have to have a permit to purchase? Can i purchase one in WI without a permit to purchase if there law says I dont need one?
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 8:13:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2007 8:14:49 PM EST by Bandit117]
Are you sure? Technically you are just buying a long gun, I dont think MN law applies in WI

ETA: Thats how I got my first AR lower, bought it from a shop about 60 miles from hudson
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 8:26:55 PM EST
The laws of the state of residence have to be followed.

Originally Posted By Bandit117:
Are you sure? Technically you are just buying a long gun, I dont think MN law applies in WI

ETA: Thats how I got my first AR lower, bought it from a shop about 60 miles from hudson
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 4:03:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bandit117:

I am a WI FFL. If you are a MN resident buying a long gun in WI, the transaction must meet all of the requirements of MN law. Therefore, I must see your MN permit to purchase. Ref 18 USC 922(b)(3).
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 5:27:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:
F2F in MN

What is F2F?
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 5:46:43 PM EST

F2F in MN

What is F2F?

Face to Face (ie. Private party sale).
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:10:40 PM EST
Speakin of lowers anybody seen any in local stores?

RRA, Stag, ect.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 8:02:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By MyWar:

F2F in MN

What is F2F?

Personally, I dont sell firearms to anyone I don't know personally or cannot show me a valid CCW and MN DL. I for sure wouldn't sell an AR lower to a private party I didn't know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:21:11 AM EST
By the way, particularly relevant to the OP's situation is ATF Ruling 80-21. In this ruling, ATF determined that college students are residents of their home state during the summer and residents of the state they are living in when going to school during the school year. So the OP could purchase a lower in WI as a WI resident, even if his Driver's License had his MN address on it. He might have to satisfy the FFL that he was indeed a WI resident by showing a school ID or something, but that should be it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:57:34 AM EST
do you have the statute in writing somewhere, or a link to it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:16:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:54:00 PM EST
Oak Grove had a couple at the show for sale. RRA & Stag I beleave. Ask Deathto make sure he works there last I heard.

Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
Speakin of lowers anybody seen any in local stores?

RRA, Stag, ect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:54:49 PM EST
+1 for me to in this day and age. Thats just pain good advice there!!

Originally Posted By MyWar:

F2F in MN

What is F2F?

Personally, I dont sell firearms to anyone I don't know personally or cannot show me a valid CCW and MN DL. I for sure wouldn't sell an AR lower to a private party I didn't know.
Top Top