Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:18 PM EDT
I've been checking out the "Build it yorself" forum for a while and have acquired a stripped lower.  Now I'm ready to get the rest of the goodies.

I've checked a lot of the on-line sellers (Del-ton, JT, Model 1), but I was going to wait until the next gun show at the Westland Mall (4/1/06).  There is usually a dealer there with lots of uppers and accessories.  I think I'd feel better getting a look at what I'm buying.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive used the dpms kit and it works fine. Id imagine they are all pretty good.

Aim has them and if your close to middletown you can go right in and get it:

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Parts_Kits.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS makes a good lower parts kit, I've used them twice.

As for uppers, there's where I'd recommend buying quality, unless you're just after a plinker.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cost effective it is not.

I dunno about that. Stag lower, Delton kit and you're at $100 for the lower, $450 for a decent quality kit, that's $550 for the whole build. Can't buy one that cheap. Delton are good kits. Probably not on par with Bushmaster, but definately better than Model 1's from what I've seen.

As for needing tools, most kits the upper will be assembled so the only tools you'll need are pliers, punches (for the lower pins) and screwdriver/mallet. It's a 15 minute job.

As for barrel quality, I agree don't skimp there. Chrome lining isn't as important as the quality of the metal....but it usually follows that barrels that are chrome lined are good metal to start with. I have a non-chrome lined Armalite barrel that is excellent, for instance. For a varmint or bullbarrel, I wouldn't want chrome lining.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If its your first build get a complete upper, Bravo company USA and CMMG make excelent uppers. IMO every bit as good as Colt. M4 feedramps, 4150 steel MP tested, 5.56, 1/7, ect ect. CMMG even makes the SOCOM M4 profile barrels. These uppers can be had with B/BC for a little over 500.

Get a Stag lower from AIM, $99 out the door, then go to any of the online dealers for a lower parts kit and a buttstock, that should run you about 120.

Add a carry handle or a BUIS and your good to go.

You can get a bare bones AR thats IMO every bit as good as a Colt, bushmaster, ect for under 800.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hunted, LMK if you are getting a lower from AIM.  We could save some $$ buying multiples.  :D
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Del-ton and DPMS here. I used the assembly guide from here at ar15.com   The wife wasn't happy but she shoots it more than I do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
DPMS  uppers SUCK BIG TIME. I've got one that will only shoot 2 rounds before jamming. No matter what I try. It does however function ok with a 22lr conversion kit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
DPMS  uppers SUCK BIG TIME. I've got one that will only shoot 2 rounds before jamming. No matter what I try. It does however function ok with a 22lr conversion kit.

You have any interest in parting with said upper?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have any interest in parting with said upper?

+1...let me know if you want me to take it off your hands...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the great info!  With all of these difficult decisions, I think this is going to be the first of many builds.

I am leaning toward Delton.  I'll probably wait until after the gun show to check things out there.

I'll post pics once it's done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Hunted, I tried to reply to your IM, says to you aren't accepting any.

I'm in Dayton.  LMK if/when you go to buy another lower.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks for all of the great info!  With all of these difficult decisions, I think this is going to be the first of many builds.

I am leaning toward Delton.  I'll probably wait until after the gun show to check things out there.

I'll post pics once it's done.

I've put 5 together so far. 2 RRAs and 3 stags. The stag lowers are excellent (so are RRA).  DPMS parts in all of them without 1 single bad part yet.  Don't try to build the upper unless you have something specific you want (like a SPR setup).  Doing it this way lets you buy good stuff from the get-go.  Magpul or VLTOR or SOPMOD stock, M16 carrier, etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Adaughen, Sorry about that.  I've got it fixed now.    I'll certainly let you know.

bp_968,  I am planning on getting a complete upper like you suggest.  I'm not looking for anything out of the ordinary, and this seems like the cheapest/easiest/least hazarous way to go.

Hope to see some of you guys at the April gunshow.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top