Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 11:21:49 AM EDT
When you buy an individuals private collection of guns that includes long and hand guns, is there
any legal issues I would need to worry about?

Do you need to fill out any paper work or do any transfers when it is person to person sale in GA?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless there are NFA weapons involved, I'm not aware of any specific paperwork.
I personally would just note all S/N's in a list and that you purchased them and have seller sign....that way his collection doesn't magically "come up missing" and "found" at your house with no record of the transaction.

Someone smarter should be along shortly though...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  If you don't know them personally, jsut make sure you have a very specific bill of sale and copy of his DL just in case.  You don't want to end up w/ a bunch of stolen guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You can probably call your local PD's non-emergency number and check the s/n's or a random sampling of them.  I've done that with GCPD.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
What would I need to do if I found there were NFA items in the collection?

This is an old lady who's husband has kinda lost it and gotten violent and been committed.

She wants to get the collection sold.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is an old lady who's husband has kinda lost it and gotten violent and been committed.

What if you hit the lottery tonight?

Worry about that and NFA weapons in the collection after find them.

If you do find NFA have the widow look through his paper work, titles ETC for the paperwork that goes along with the gun.

There are other considerations, but I won't get into that until you find NFA in the collection.

TD
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you hit the lottery tonight?

Worry about that and NFA weapons in the collection after find them.

If you do find NFA have the widow look through his paper work, titles ETC for the paperwork that goes along with the gun.

There are other considerations, but I won't get into that until you find NFA in the collection.

TD

lol, your right, jumped the shark before seeing collection.

Rookie here  <––-
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bad situation = avoid.  Taking another man's guns is heap bad mojo.  Don't do it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad situation = avoid.  Taking another man's guns is heap bad mojo.  Don't do it.

I assume this couple has no kids or the kids do not want them.  What would you suggest, she melt them down?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you are a rookie I will give you a little worthless advice.

I buy, sell and trade guns on a daily basis. That's how I make my meager living.

MAKE the seller give you price on the collection. I don't care if the seller is a little old lady or a seasoned trader.

Buying guns is a lot like poker. Once you show your cards most of your leverage is gone and you are immediately in a defensive mode.

If you make the first offer they will almost always try to get you to bring your offer up.

If the seller come in way over what you want to pay you can always make an offer or politely tell them that is out of your price range but you are still in control.

If they come in at or below your target you can close the deal.

In the case of a widow woman you might let you consciences be your guide if she comes in way below market value. I always love a great deal, but I also like to sleep well at night.

TD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top