Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 3:23:04 PM EDT
Hello, I have been reading for a few months and finally decided to register. I was looking at some guns last week seeing what I might want as the first gun I buy myself and the salesmen said that a drivers license is required to buy a gun in california, and that an ID would not work. Is this true? From what i have read on the attorney generals website all that is needed is proof of age either a DL, ID, or Military ID.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A CA-issued DL or a CA-issued ID will work. Military ID should also work.

For buying a handgun, you need a HSC card, which is obtainable at any gun store, and proof of CA residency (utility bill or car registration, among others).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You will run into ALL KINDS of intrepretations of the law at gun shops.  Some of them will not bat an eye at the regulations and bend the laws, some go the other direction and make up stuff to try to protect themselves from the JBTs at the DOJ. If your local gunshop is giving you grief, find another. A great way to find FFLs are through the auction sites like gunbroker.com, shotgunnews.com, gunsamerica.com. Spend a little time looking at prices, and try to find a dealer that will work with you. Vote with your dollars!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

For buying a handgun, you need a HSC card, which is obtainable at any gun store, and proof of CA residency (utility bill or car registration, among others).

I used my pay stub, which has my address, as my POR.

The HSC is a $25 fee and is a "lifetime" card.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...The HSC is a $25 fee and is a "lifetime" card.

Yes, but only if you plan on living only five years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...The HSC is a $25 fee and is a "lifetime" card.

Yes, but only if you plan on living only five years.

smokey, you must have confused the HSC with the old BFSC.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Yeah I started to say...  Also you are exempted from if you're serving in any part of the military.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used my pay stub, which has my address, as my POR.

A pay stub will work? I've been at two that wouldn't even accept a paystub with my address on it as a second form of ID on top of my DL.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Car registration works for mine, assuming your drive to your FFL and you own your car and your registration is up to date. And your DL, of course.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Car registration works for mine, assuming your drive to your FFL and you own your car and your registration is up to date. And your DL, of course.

No good for me. I have a family owned work truck that I use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top