Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:29:23 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good place to get a 1911 type pistol in Central Florida.  I have a couple questions on buying a gun in Florida.  I'm military and I just moved here 3 months ago.  I don't have a FL identification card of any type.

At my last duty station, in Texas, I could use my New Mexico Driver Licence, and show the gun shop a copy of my military orders and that worked just fine.  Will that same thing work here in FL or do I have to get some sort of local identification card?

Thanks for any help you can give..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are stationed here then the orders should be good. I'll have to double check next time I go to work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a good place to get a 1911 type pistol in Central Florida.  I have a couple questions on buying a gun in Florida.  I'm military and I just moved here 3 months ago.  I don't have a FL identification card of any type.

At my last duty station, in Texas, I could use my New Mexico Driver Licence, and show the gun shop a copy of my military orders and that worked just fine.  Will that same thing work here in FL or do I have to get some sort of local identification card?

Thanks for any help you can give..

I think you'll be just fine getting the pistol. Have you gone in to a gun shop and explained the same to the guy who'd be selling it to you?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
just get a fl id card i believe they cost 15.00 at driver lic. place
will make it easier.  i usually ask my mcdill do that for me and try
to give the that much more off the price. good luck
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
well I went to a gun shop tonight and asked about it,  They said that I really need to get either a FL id card or that if I had a FL Concealed Carry permit that would work too.  So looks like I have to spend more money.  I guess 15 bucks won't kill me, but damn what a hassel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Find a driver license office out in the boonies. The lines there are minimal.
Otherwise count on spending half a day in line if you don't have an appt.

Thank God for online renewal, I don't have to step into one of those offices for a long time!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, if your permanent duty station is in FL then you may buy a gun with your out-of-state license. You will need your military ID card and a copy of your orders showing your permanent duty station is in FL. If the dealer gives you a problem tell them to look on the back on the transfer form under "Instructions to Transferor/Seller #1".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, if your permanent duty station is in FL then you may buy a gun with your out-of-state license. You will need your military ID card and a copy of your orders showing your permanent duty station is in FL. If the dealer gives you a problem tell them to look on the back on the transfer form under "Instructions to Transferor/Seller #1".

+1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top