Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 5:05:47 PM EDT
http://northstateshootingclub.com/Frames/Frame_Home.htm

Site has been updated. Weather forecast looks like it is gonna be nasty.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey ReelDoc, what can you tell me about Butner range. Im in Stokes county. Ive been to the website but just wanted to hear from someone that shot there and maybe a member. Im new to high power matches overall.  A friend and myself would like to find a long distance range to shoot at a few times a year. 3-4 times. Is it a place you can go pratice if your a beginner ? Or it just open when there are matches ??? TIA WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It is only open for matches and an occasional practice day. It is a really nice range owned and maintained by the NCNG. There are berms each 100 yards out to 1000 yards. All targets are motorized and we normally have enough paid target pullers to not have to make pit changes, saves a lot of time. You do not have to be a member of the NSSC to shoot the matches. There are porta johns at the pits, the 600 and 1000 yard berms.

One of the nicest things is that the people.....well most of the people....are very friendly, knowledgable and will help you any way they can. Actually the bullshitting sometimes is more fun than the shooting. 4 shooters to a target, 4 relays.

You need to get there early before 06:45 to get in line to sign up. They also are doing signups by email now.

The only thing you need for long range is a load that will stay supersonic at 1000 yards and a dead on 100 yard zero. It would be even better to have a velocity for the ammo you are using if you are handloading. If you have a good 100 yard zero we can get you on paper within 3 shots unless something is really fubar with your ammo. After that its up to you to adjust for windage and final elevation.

It has been said that if you can shoot in the wind at Butner, you can shoot anywhere in the country. The winds are the most tricky you will experience as you will find out :)

I only shoot F-Class but have been thinking of XTC just for shits and grins as I'm not worth a crap at offhand shooting. That opens another 10 weekends of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply.  Im building a long range bolt gun right now. Have rifle and mount and rings. Waiting on Scope to show up....I was going to go with some Ga Arms ammo or Black Hills. Which ever grouped well. I don't reload , yet. But My frined has a M1ANM that he liked to shoot Irons with . They have a Iron sight match?Wardawg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest trying both Federal GM 175 and Black Hills 175 and see which one groups the best from your new rifle. I haven't used the GA Arms ammo but make sure you get 175 grain. What type of rings, base and scope are you getting?

Your friend could shoot the NRA high power class and begin the path towards a classification if he so desires. Heck, if he didn't want to do that he could just shoot the FTR against the scopes. Remember, he will still need a good 100 yard zero.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would suggest trying both Federal GM 175 and Black Hills 175 and see which one groups the best from your new rifle. I haven't used the GA Arms ammo but make sure you get 175 grain. What type of rings, base and scope are you getting?

Your friend could shoot the NRA high power class and begin the path towards a classification if he so desires. Heck, if he didn't want to do that he could just shoot the FTR against the scopes. Remember, he will still need a good 100 yard zero.

I have a FN SPRA1 , (Factory installed  FN)Badger Ordanance 1913 Base mount. Badger Ordance rings and a USO 34mm  sn3 T-pal 3-17 ( Canadian ) that should be here hopefully in a few weeks to a month. Im a newbie with this type equipment........  I will deffinatly go to a shoot when all this overtime settels down at my work. I don't have many weekends off right now. Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
hey guys, when is that Palma match deal going to be rescheduled? next weekend? i usually go out there just to watch the guys and talk. they are some of the best long range shooters IMHO.
thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
They usually don't reschedule the matches. As I understand it, the matches are scheduled with the NG training and the schedule is pretty much set in stone at the begining of the year.

I'll try to confirm this and get back with you.

BTW, next time you come out, just bring yer guns!!!!!!!!!!! We don't bite!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
that would be awesome, unfortunately i dont' have any big guns as of yet, but i like to learn and talk to everybody out there and i usually bring a younger brother or two, so that they can learn about the sport as well.

i hope to purchase an AR, but not sure as of yet. what kinds of guns and calibers are you guys shooting? .308? all iron sights right?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Wind at Butner is a pain.  Calm at the target, full value and one yard line and another value at the next.  I love it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
that would be awesome, unfortunately i dont' have any big guns as of yet, but i like to learn and talk to everybody out there and i usually bring a younger brother or two, so that they can learn about the sport as well.

i hope to purchase an AR, but not sure as of yet. what kinds of guns and calibers are you guys shooting? .308? all iron sights right?

What guns and optics do you currently have? You never know when you might have something that will work.

The F-Open class 'at Butner' is any caliber up to and including .30. The F/TR class is .223 and .308 only. The Plama and high power shooters have their caliber restrictions.

The worst condition at Butner is when there is no apparent wind. A little puff even at 600 yards will wax your ass. I'd much rather have some type of reasonable wind to shoot in, something to keep the mirage moving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top