Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 5:47:07 PM EDT
Don't know if this has been brought up here or not, but... I was told by a buddy that the Academy in Beaumont carries Bushmasters now, so I went today and it was true! I noticed 3 models: carbine with A2 16" upper with Phantom (maybe Izzy) FS on 14.5" bbl permanently installed to make 16" w/ fixed telestock (bah). The other models were both 20", one w/ camo furniture and A3 upper, no FS. The other was 20" A2 with no FS. I didn't look at the prices of the 20 inchers but the carbine was listed at $799 which I think is a very good price compared to the prices listed on Bushmaster. Anyone else looked into this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard about it. I've looked but haven't seen a one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't found one, but I've been looking.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Check with Bullet Trap in Plano.  Thats where I got my Bushy for 750.00 16" pre-ban at the time.
(didn't know of Lone Star at the time either)

FireBlade
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check with Bullet Trap in Plano.  Thats where I got my Bushy for 750.00 16" pre-ban at the time.
(didn't know of Lone Star at the time either)

FireBlade

I've heard about that place, but of course I don't live near Plano. I'll have to stop by there one day when I visit my sister. I think I may have to go pick up that bushy one day. I won't have to worry about the FFL fees, plus Academy has been taking 20% off of their guns.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The Acadamy in Tomball is carrying them too.  I think they had 2-16" uppers with A2 stocks (IIRC) and a 20" A2.  I didn't look at the prices.

Great to see a larger chain like this carrying AR's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody seen Bushy's in DFW Academy's?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anybody seen Bushy's in DFW Academy's?

THey have them at the Academy in North Richalnd Hills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
college station academy has them!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if the ones in SA have them.

I'll check tomorrow - if I'm still alive. (hangover)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a few at the one in Arlington last weekend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
As I mentioned in the Market Hall thread - Austin Academy's have them too.

Post-ban neutered M4 (Fixed telestock, pinned brake) for $799. That's still a pretty decent price though, considering BUshy has it for like $1100 MSRP. They also had a A2 in camo pattern, didn't check price....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Great.

Now there's no way I can compete with large retailers on price....next thing you know, Wally World will sell AK'.s, Glocks, Sigs, AR's, Flashiders, collapsible stocks.... Barretts......

The end of the entreprenuerial gun shop....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great.

Now there's no way I can compete with large retailers on price....next thing you know, Wally World will sell AK'.s, Glocks, Sigs, AR's, Flashiders, collapsible stocks.... Barretts......

If your idea of "entreprenurial" is to compete solely on price you are right. But this is a defeatist attitude. Not having the lowest price is not the end all. Mass merchandisers have to compete on price because service from an organization that size is questionable at best and very difficult to control.Don't confuse consumables( groceries,cleaning supplies) and durable goods. Why doesn't Wal Mart sell cars? Because when someone buys a car they require if not demand  good service.

Remember that people don't buy on price alone as a general rule. Knowledge, service(which is in itself a multifaceted point) and fairprice all play a part, along with convenience,accessability. Never dwell on your competitors strengths . Play on your own strengths and minimize your weaknesses to the extent of your abilities.Know your product and your competitors, but never ever sell  your competitors weaknesses. You can control your strengths but not his weaknesses. He may also appreciate you pointing them out so he can correct them.

I talk to a lot of people in business and without fail those who concentrate on price are those that are at the greatest risk of failure.

My favorite axiom is " Under sell...Over service". Meaning don't push the sale, provide outstanding service and the product will sell itself. There are many good examples of this here at ARFCOM and one that immediately comes to mind is ADCO. Lots of folks could take a lesson from them on customer service. Their good name and fair price does the selling for them, and their good service  backs it up.

Sharpshot , sorry for the hijack and we now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great.

If your idea of "entreprenurial" is to compete solely on price you are right. But this is a defeatist attitude. Not having the lowest price is not the end all. Mass merchandisers have to compete on price because service from an organization that size is questionable at best and very difficult to control.Don't confuse consumables( groceries,cleaning supplies) and durable goods. Why doesn't Wal Mart sell cars? Because when someone buys a car they require if not demand  good service.

Remember that people don't buy on price alone as a general rule. Knowledge, service(which is in itself a multifaceted point) and fairprice all play a part, along with convenience,accessability. Never dwell on your competitors strengths . Play on your own strengths and minimize your weaknesses to the extent of your abilities.Know your product and your competitors, but never ever sell  your competitors weaknesses. You can control your strengths but not his weaknesses. He may also appreciate you pointing them out so he can correct them.

I talk to a lot of people in business and without fail those who concentrate on price are those that are at the greatest risk of failure.

My favorite axiom is " Under sell...Over service". Meaning don't push the sale, provide outstanding service and the product will sell itself. There are many good examples of this here at ARFCOM and one that immediately comes to mind is ADCO. Lots of folks could take a lesson from them on customer service. Their good name and fair price does the selling for them, and their good service  backs it up.

Sharpshot , sorry for the hijack and we now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Reminds me of my management classes in college.

Yes, I too believe $799 is still a very good price, even if it is postban neutered. I asked them if they were able to order other bushies, but the ones in the store were the only models they sold. Still very impressive for Academy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Academy is stocking the Bushmasters at the bigger locations.
According to upper mgmt they have been selling like hotcakes.  
Academy is in talks with Bushmaster to up the stock at the locations and expand to all stores.
I for one am glad to see someone else stock these and not just "gun" stores. The more mainstream stores that carry these type of weapons the better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Checked the Academy in Temple today - no joy on the Bushies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Acadamy had a huge deal w/ Bushmaster a few years ago when the "Bushmaster Sniper" popped up and ruined all the fun.
Looks like acadamy felt now that the dust has settled, it was time to follow through w/ their plan.
Shadow
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]
To me, a good deal on an undesirable model = No Sale

The Ban is over!  Why the hell would I want a rifle with a pinned stock, or no FS, etc., fer chrissakes??  Academy is able to offer to these rifles at these prices 'cause Bushie knows nobody wants these pre-ban pukies now, so they're shipping them off to Fire-Sale Land.

Stock the good stuff at a fair price, COZ and you'll be fine, IMNSHO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Academy is stocking the Bushmasters at the bigger locations.
According to upper mgmt they have been selling like hotcakes.  
Academy is in talks with Bushmaster to up the stock at the locations and expand to all stores.

That is great news.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Checked the one on Westheimer and Hwy6 in Houston. No bush...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
To me, a good deal on an undesirable model = No Sale

The Ban is over!  Why the hell would I want a rifle with a pinned stock, or no FS, etc., fer chrissakes??  Academy is able to offer to these rifles at these prices 'cause Bushie knows nobody wants these pre-ban pukies now, so they're shipping them off to Fire-Sale Land.

Stock the good stuff at a fair price, COZ and you'll be fine, IMNSHO.

I agree and I would buy a nice new no-ban model with all the evil features....However having said that...The AR's are flying off the shelfs faster than they ever expected.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#22]
saw a camo bushie @plano store on sat., 20 inch bbl.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great.

Dude...I was just bitching......

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#24]
None in Temple!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

10-4. I hate to see independant dealers get discouraged. So I try to "prop them up" with my business and advice even when unsolicited. Didn't mean to harp.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10-4. I hate to see independant dealers get discouraged. So I try to "prop them up" with my business and advice even when unsolicited. Didn't mean to harp.

Yeah this is kind of a double-edged sword. It's great that a lot of new people will be able to own an AR now at a great price. It also sucks that the independent dealer can't compete, for the most part, with a big store like Academy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#27]
IMHO, if you are an AR enthusiast, then you won't likely be buying an AR from Academy.  However, if you are a firearms enthusiast, or novice hunter, or just looking for a cheap complete rifle, then places like Academy or Walmart would definitely get your gun business.

Even though Academy and Walmart carry Leupold scopes, they don't carry the ones I want (Mk4), so they aren't in competition, to me, with someone like SWFA.

Even if one of us was looking for a cheap Bushmaster thrill, it would still take $100 or more to get it to a no ban status (either thread and add or add a flash suppressor or buy a 6 position stock), which by then would be as comparable as just buying it from your favorite private dealer.

I think it's a good way to get new folks into the EBR crowd, and welcome the addition, even though I probably won't purchase one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
IMHO, if you are an AR enthusiast, then you won't likely be buying an AR from Academy.  However, if you are a firearms enthusiast, or novice hunter, or just looking for a cheap complete rifle, then places like Academy or Walmart would definitely get your gun business.

That's actually true.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
saw a camo bushie @plano store on sat., 20 inch bbl.

It was an A3 Bushmaster RealTree® Grey Hardwoods Pattern Camo Rifle for $849.

wganz

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI camo Bushy for 850 at the Pasadena store.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Oops, forgot to post:

Didn't see any evil black rifles at Academy at 410 and Perrin Beitel (SA).
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:50:10 AM EDT
[#32]
None @ the I-10 & Market St store (East Houston)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Checked the one on Westheimer and Hwy6 in Houston. No bush...

You mean to tell me there is a shortage of 'Bush' on Westheimer?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll check in Lufkin today or tomorrow and see if there are any Bushies there.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Just out of curiousity, has anyone seen "noban" configuration Bushies in any
Academy stores yet? Think they'll sell "M4" Bushies at Academy?

KS
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought my A3 last week. $850. Got mine in Arlington.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#37]
San Antonio's Academy Stores have them or at least the one on I35N.  I was told by the store personal they are selling quicker than they can get them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
San Antonio's Academy Stores have them or at least the one on I35N.  I was told by the store personal they are selling quicker than they can get them.

The one that's just north of The Forum?  35 just north of 1604?

I guess it's called The Forum - where Home Depot, Target, Chilis - hell everyithing you need is there.  Well, just need a Barnes and Nobles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I was at the one in College Station and they had a M-4 type with a phantom and bayo lug for around $750 plus they had a camo one also.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Camo Bushy at Academy 183N & Duval in Austin.

Debo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top