Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 6:12:49 PM EDT
Any place I could go bump/shoot crazy fast and not get in trouble in the bay area?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
go way out in the panoche hills.  Thats the only place that you can go where you won't end up with a helicopter chasing you down for bumping...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Just FYI - 'assault weapons' registered with the State of California appear to be prohibited:

http://www.ca.blm.gov/hollister/faq-hunting.html
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of a place about 30 minutes from san jose. We bump fire there all the time. As long as your rifles are registered and you can bring the paper work for your own protection you are welcome to come to the next shoot. Its a private shooting club. Me and my dad went this weekend and were bumping the heck out of his maddi AK type rifle and there was some law enforcment guys there with us. They were fine with it. One of the young guys did ask " so when did you have to register these, real friendly like. My dad didnt even answer him. He then said, Paper work is laying on the rifle case right in front of you. He keeps it outside the rifle case in a clear plastic sleeve.He just looked down at it for about 10 seconds and smiled and we sat there and bullshited for a while and continued shooting. Kind of weird but perfectly legal. We offered for them to shoot my dads rifles but they declinded. They were to busy blasting away with there rifles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
or if you have a relative who's the RO for his department's private range...   :evil smiley:
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He then said, Paper work is laying on the rifle case right in front of you. He keeps it outside the rifle case in a clear plastic sleeve

Thats the most pathetic thing I have read in a long time.  If a cop want to see "zee papass", let 'em get a freaking warrant.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He then said, Paper work is laying on the rifle case right in front of you. He keeps it outside the rifle case in a clear plastic sleeve

Thats the most pathetic thing I have read in a long time.  If a cop want to see "zee papass", let 'em get a freaking warrant.

You don't HAVE to carry your papers. The info is available to any cop with a radio and/or contact with dispatch. Registered weapons are in the CA database. I carry copies of my papers in the buttstock or range bag for casual encounters. But it's never happened to me...yet.

Yep, it is pathetic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what we need all these weapons for anyway, "zee Germans"?

Snatch
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, Pathetic huh. Well, I can see some saying that. But anyways, As a courtesy the pres asksed for the members a very long time ago for us to carry them at the range just in case. Over half of the members are law enforcement and do to some butt heads in the past getting pulled over outside the place and having unreagistered rifles caused the club some unwanted attention. So when we go we have them handy. My dad does it just so if anyone has a question about the rifles he is shooting the paper work is there for them. It doesnt bother us. We get to shoot how we want. And when we want. And we are our own range masters. I can tell you this. It beats the hell out of any other range within 100 miles of the bay area. This issue happenned years ago so it may not even be required anymore but we dont care. Most of the officers there know we are legal by now and it makes us that much more comfortable when they are around. And I am sure it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling.
So do any of californains actually get to shoot hwo you want without having to go out to the desert?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And I am sure it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling.

I could care less how they feel.  I'm not doing anything illegal.  

As operatorerror stated, the registration info is available to any LE actually on duty by clicking the PTT button on his radio.  If he isn't on duty and suspects a crime is being committed then he can call someone who is.  Feeling like you have to display your "permission slip" just to be safe is a testament to how far California has sunk.  

I follow the law.............no more, no less.  If a cop wants someone to make them feel warm 'n fuzzy they are going to have to look somewhere else.  I sure as hell aint gonna do it for them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I totally understand what you are saying. But for us its not a matter of following the law. We just do it at this range only. Its well worth it. I wouldnt do that at los altos,stevens creek or coyote range. Its just something that was mentioned to do at this club. Which isnt mandatory from what I was just told. Theres no other place to shoot around here for many miles and it hasnt been an issue for us. even if it was mandatory to have your apaper work its a small price to payto be able to actually enjoy yourself at the range. Have you ever had someone yell at you over a loud speaker because you fired more than one round in 3 seconds. Thats what its like at all the ranges around this area minus the one we go to. Anyway, Lets be done with this subject. I was just trying to offer a board member a awsome place to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I totally understand what you are saying. But for us its not a matter of following the law. We just do it at this range only. Its well worth it. I wouldnt do that at los altos,stevens creek or coyote range. Its just something that was mentioned to do at this club. Which isnt mandatory from what I was just told. Theres no other place to shoot around here for many miles and it hasnt been an issue for us. even if it was mandatory to have your apaper work its a small price to payto be able to actually enjoy yourself at the range. Have you ever had someone yell at you over a loud speaker because you fired more than one round in 3 seconds. Thats what its like at all the ranges around this area minus the one we go to. Anyway, Lets be done with this subject. I was just trying to offer a board member a awsome place to shoot.

where is this range, and how do we get to shoot there?

Also, you CAN shoot  registered AW's on blm land in california as of last year.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I will send you a aim.

Quoted:

Quoted:

where is this range, and how do we get to shoot there?

Also, you CAN shoot  registered AW's on blm land in california as of last year.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't HAVE to carry your papers. The info is available to any cop with a radio and/or contact with dispatch. Registered weapons are in the CA database. I carry copies of my papers in the buttstock or range bag for casual encounters. But it's never happened to me...yet.

Yep, it is pathetic.

I thought there was a law stating cops can't broadcast through radio, Registered Assault rifle's?  Could have sworn I read it somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I almost feel like calling that Hollister field office to raise hell about their no AW stance.

Especially since it contradicts what is said here,
www.ca.blm.gov/caso/hunting.html

So is this a case of some stupid asshat county getting carried away with themselves?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I almost feel like calling that Hollister field office to raise hell about their no AW stance.

Especially since it contradicts what is said here,
www.ca.blm.gov/caso/hunting.html

So is this a case of some stupid asshat county getting carried away with themselves?

Actually they allow registered AWs on BLM land (at least in the Panoche hills area).   It's always wise to call and confirm of course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I also wonder where they drag up their claims that steel jacketed or even steel core ammo is illegal.

AP handgun ammo and all tracer/incendiary ammo, that I can understand and know it is expressly illegal.

But kindly point me to where steel jacketed ammo is illegal under state law.      I could see them arguing that it is a fire hazzard but if it isn't a California law, and not a BLM ordinance, where the hell do they get off?

In the end, we all know just what kind of schmuck is likely responsible for trying to peddle these regs when by law it is actually probably perfectly legal.

It's just the last thing I want to run into while I'm out shooting my registered 50BMG(which most every surplus projectile out there has steel in it) or my registered AR15.     Some dumb ass trying to push their idea of what the restrictions/regs should be as opposed to what is actually legal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Woah!  I didn't notice that before.

The following weapons and ammunition are PROHIBITED on public lands:  Assault weapons, as defined and listed in the California Penal Code Section 12276; Machine Guns; Shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches in length; Rifles with barrels less than 16 inches in length;  Tracer ammunition, Armored Piercing ammunition; Steel-Jacketed ammunition; Steel-Cored ammunition; Incendiary or Explosive ammunition.  There are exceptions!  Please contact the Law Enforcement Ranger for the area in which you will be hunting or target shooting, to ensure you´re using legal weapons and ammo.

Makes it kind of hard to shoot the SKS.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top