Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:39 PM EDT
The federal goverment says it is legal to build a firearm as long as you keep it for yourself.  In MD AK's are considered regulated, if I were to build one from a parts kit and reciever flat, what would the legalities be in MD since it is considered a regulated firearm?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
When you buy the receiver, that is the gun/regulated part - you would go through the paperwork/waiting period etc like any regulated firearm.  Then you would own the receiver & could start slapping parts onto it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Last time I looked into it, the registration for regulated weapons is "voluntary" (in the sense of if you dont volunteer to register, you dont get the weapon from an FFL), but there is no provision for a 0%/80% build to be registered and thus it cant be registered. In other words: Build to your hearts' content, its 100% legal.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I misunderstood the question - are you buying a completed receiver & building from there or buying an 80% receiver & finishing it?  I was only answering if the first is the case.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A reciever flat is an 80% reciever for an AK, you just need to bend the sides and top rails to a 90deg angle and you're all set.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
And weld in the bottom rails too.  Cant forget that.  I sold all my AK stuff awhile back and now Im regretting it and getting that itch to build one again.  We shall see.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I have been looking at all the nice tools they have on www.AK-builder.com,  I like the receiver forming die that they are selling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top