Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/19/2004 1:15:41 PM EST
I am looking to build a new AR-15. Have never owned one nor have I ever shot one. I have been reading the forums here for sometime now and there seem to be many experienced AR shooters here. From what I gather it is less expensive to build one rather than buy one that is all ready assembled. I am looking to build a very accurate AR. I will be mainly using it (90% of the time) for predator hunting from ranges from 50-400+ yards. There seems to be so many different ways to go on this project that I am having a hard time deciding where to start…the upper the lower which trigger (one stage or two stage?), what brand of barrel, what barrel length, etc. I will be putting a rather large scope on it but I will like to add a flashlight to one side and a quick dot scope (I don’t know the technical name) to the other for really close up shots and night hunting. I have many bolt guns, just wanted a very accurate semi auto to use. If someone could point me in the right direction or give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:23:18 PM EST
You live in Houston?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:31:25 PM EST
No, San Antonio
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:51:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 1:56:20 PM EST by Doktor]
The cool thing about an AR is that it can transform to each of the many requirements that you state simply by moving two pins.

Yes, what I mean is that you might have but one lower, and adapt to different "mission specific" uses by simply and quicly changing out the barreled upper.

I would pick a path you want to go... for the first go round, and equip your upper accordingly. With the lower, you could make a good start with a two stage trigger and a collapsable buttstock. This stock would allow for prone or standing shooting, a trade off to some extent, but a good place to start... or stay.

The upper? These come in various stages. We sell a "barreled upper" which includes the upper recvr and everything in front of it. We can add a bolt carrier and charging handle, calling that a "barreled upper complete", or you can ask for a "complete rifle/carbine kit" which is everything except your stripped lower and a magazine. You can ask for substitutions of any of the stock parts.

On a Varmint Upper, you can select from a 16, 20, or 24" SS Wislon 1:8, or 1:12 option in 16". They come with a cylindrical tubular aluminum free floated handguard, but you can easily add inexpensive (under $40) bolt thru picatinny rail systems, or you can go whole hog ($150+) and get a free flated aluminum picatinny 4 rail system. These are usualy offered as flat tops, so you will be able to select metallic font and rear sites (the forward gas block is a picatinny top) as well as an electronic red dot. The pricier ones will give a tru co-witness, or for many long range applications you would do well to select good magnifying glass.

The other end of the spectrum? With the same lower, push out the two pins and drop on a Wilson Match Grade Chrome Moly Barrel "Commando Barreled Upper" of 10.25" length (or anything under 16" if you live in a Free State and get SBR papers). If not, pick one of the several availabe 16" profiles (M4, CAR, XM, LtWt, etc) and drop that on, being 16" street legal (almost everywhere). You may do well to request a flat top upper (A4) versus the one with the carry handle A2. Once again- you can add 'flip up' metalic sites with a co-witness red dot, and with the same front furniture (stock) options as above, you can hange any device you might need off of the front end.

The point is that the AR is the true component system of the rifle world. True, many fine platforms such as HK and others have exotica that you can transform any given stock weapon into a mission specific tool, but the expaqnsive variety of 'aftermarket' piece parts that the AR world has to select from is indeed boggling.

As a final note- by all means, do your research and follow the path to 'build up' your own rifle. It is way less expensive and you'll get exactly what you want. At the same time, be aware of the true cost savings of starting with a basic advertised kit and substituting from there. Pieceing it out bit by bit can get pricey.

Also- be very aware of exactly what character and quality of parts that you acquire. Our uppers are manufactured by Lewis Machine (LMT), headspaced, timed, test-fired etc. Read the ads with care... sometimes there's a very good reason why somebody costs more than others.

Have fun with your project, and know that AR15.com was the right place to come!

Doc @ M&A Parts

Top Top