Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2005 10:09:52 AM EDT
Anyone ever thought of doing a build party in NoVa? Like of some AK kits or whatever? I've actually considered messing around with some of those 80% AR receivers for the hell of it as well....
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean like this one or this one or this one?  I think there was also an AK build a few months back.  FAL kits have almost completely dried up so that is likely out of the question, but I'd bet you can round up enough guys for an AK build.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You mean like this one or this one or this one?  I think there was also an AK build a few months back.  FAL kits have almost completely dried up so that is likely out of the question, but I'd bet you can round up enough guys for an AK build.

Yup, Longboat had one. I couldn't make it, although my modified tongs did!

I just got the HF 12 Ton press and will be getting a greenlight arms flat bending jig soon.

Already have the spot welders, files, CWToyotas bolt cutter riveter and Xebec's barrel Jig as well as a Plinkers rivet  jig.

I think I'd rather do a 1 on 1 build than a group of people though....just my preference.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've still got 2 AMD kits in the garage I could finish up, if there was a build group I'd have a better chance of finishing them.   Otherwise I'm going to have to do a screw build myself, and that didn't work so well last time.

I'm seriously considering buying that AR jig for the 80% receivers, if people are interested in that maybe that would be a good move too.

I completely forgot about the FAL kits, too bad those build parties were way before I joined the board. I believe there is still a few places left to get kits. For example, Sarco has some metric kits in the 200 dollar range...http://www.sarcoinc.com/fnfal.html
However, I might be wrong on whether those kits are a full kit or not, I have zero experience with FALs....

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

However, I might be wrong on whether those kits are a full kit or not, I have zero experience with FALs....

They probably are full kits.  You need a number of US parts and a receiver, but if you want to build one, let me know.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
i got a amd63 kit and a ak74 kit im waiting on building.

good thing bulldog is literally about 1 mile away, cant wait to get these things built.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
How long would it take to do a AK kit (bend a flat, remove rivets from a front trunnion, reassemble and rivet)?  Last time i worked on a ak kit, i was messing around for several weekends a little at a time to do it...

Bulldog, how do you do your permanent barrel attachments? With the silver solder method or you have a better way?

And how long does a FAL kit take? I know there is more work involved with that though....
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And how long does a FAL kit take? I know there is more work involved with that though....

Depends on how lucky you are.  Most can be done n a couple of hours, including cleaning.  A few require a bit more effort, but they are not generally difficult.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
i'd be interested in an AK build party as i have a couple of partially complete rifles to finish.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on how lucky you are.  Most can be done n a couple of hours, including cleaning.  A few require a bit more effort, but they are not generally difficult.

How much to FAL kits cost??
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#10]
In the past they havve been ~$200. of course you have to add in the cost of the US made parts to get you to the 10 foriegn made part count and a receiver, and from what i've been hearing lately rreceivers have been hard to come by.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How long would it take to do a AK kit (bend a flat, remove rivets from a front trunnion, reassemble and rivet)?  Last time i worked on a ak kit, i was messing around for several weekends a little at a time to do it...

Bulldog, how do you do your permanent barrel attachments? With the silver solder method or you have a better way?

Well, there may be a BETTER way, but yes I do the Silver Solder. You can do one kit in a day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, there may be a BETTER way, but yes I do the Silver Solder. You can do one kit in a day.

I presume you're talking about an AK kit and not a FAL kit there bulldog, which would jobe with my ;o,oted experience.

In some ways a FAL build party works better cause you don't  have a lot of jigs and presses and other exspensive or hard to use stuff (arc wielder, torch) so you can have a guy dremelling and removing reciever studs, another on the big ass vise using barrel clamps and a rcvr wrench to barrel the action,  another doing timing adjustments, and another checking headspace.  You can kick out 5 or 6 FALs in a day no problem.

For an AK everything centers on that 12 t press wherre you remove the barrel pin, remove the barrel, bend the reciever flats, bend the rails, rivet trunions, rebarrel and pin.  Maybe 2 presses might speed things up but there is still the issue of the owner feeling comfortable with lettting amateurs use his jigs and there is still the matter of expertise with the torch and wielder (at least the wielder).  Maybe i'll search the other HT forums and see how they have dealt with these issues.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to build an Ak.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cliffy - I have an Izzy clone that I'd like to have refinished.  It's in like new condition otherwise.  Can you recommend anyone to Gun-Kote or apply a similar finish?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cliffy - I have an Izzy clone that I'd like to have refinished.  It's in like new condition otherwise.  Can you recommend anyone to Gun-Kote or apply a similar finish?

TIA

Well...  don't ask that in a place where my girlfriend can read it.  Gunkote induces migranes.  It really isn't difficult.  All you need is a cheap airbrush, a garage and an oven.  It also helps to send the wife/girlfriend out of the house for several hours.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I agree with cliffy, espeacially on the cheap airbrush part.  I had seen people advising on a cheap airbrush but still found myself look at $100 badger airbrushs..but then common sense prevailed (a rarity!) and i bought a $10 kit from harbor frieght, worked great on my AR receiver, i'm going to be doing one of my FALs as soon as the temperature comes down a bit so i can open the windows.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I just ordered one of the Polish kits from AkronArmory (Thanks again bulldog) and will be needing/wanting help with where to get the rest of the items and what I should get......then to put the whole thing together obviously so I'm up for a build.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
AK build parties don't work..  ask me how I know or anyone who came out to mine.  One on one builds are the only way to do it.  I took me over a month to get together with bulldog and I am still trying to get with Vagunnut to get his build done...  

If a build party is planned, I will happily loan out my press and jigs for use.  I will try to come and help, but my schedule is so screwy that tooling is all I will probaly be able contribute.  With multiple presses and jigs, it might go much better than mine..

If anyone wants to come up and pick up my press and jigs from Loudoun for a home build, and someone "known" will vouch for you, I don't mind loaning them out.  Building an AK is simple, but I would definately get with someone who has done it before.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AK build parties don't work..  ask me how I know or anyone who came out to mine.  One on one builds are the only way to do it.  I took me over a month to get together with bulldog and I am still trying to get with Vagunnut to get his build done...  

If a build party is planned, I will happily loan out my press and jigs for use.  I will try to come and help, but my schedule is so screwy that tooling is all I will probaly be able contribute.  With multiple presses and jigs, it might go much better than mine..

If anyone wants to come up and pick up my press and jigs from Loudoun for a home build, and someone "known" will vouch for you, I don't mind loaning them out.  Building an AK is simple, but I would definately get with someone who has done it before.  

+1 Longboat helped me with my first AK build and it went MUCH smoother with just us. I can't imagine the chaos of a group build.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Longboat helped me with my first AK build and it went MUCH smoother with just us. I can't imagine the chaos of a group build.

Longboat helped me with my first AK build also and it went pretty good.  although my OOW receiver was way out of spec he managed to get it working and its awesome.

ive heard about the last build party and how hard it was to do everything.  definetly a one on one build is recommended and it also helps you learn about the process much better.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
My first build was at Longboat's build party.  I definitely learned a ton, but at the same time it was really stressful for Longboat having to try to help out five of us at the same time.  Like he said, multiple presses and jigs are helpful.  With only one press it makes more sense to do a flat-bending party or a barrel-pressing party than an all-out build party.  That being said, if people want to do another build party at some point in the future I'm definitely interested.  Once my kit-buying spree ends I'm hoping to divert some of my money towards buying tooling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Is this a good example of the press you guys have used?

www2.northerntool.com/product-1/21029.htm

Is that a good price on one of those? I didn't see any at Harbor Freight....
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#23]
That will be more than ample to press a receiver and run plinkers riveting jig.  The price isn't far off.  I don't know what shipping would be.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That will be more than ample to press a receiver and run plinkers riveting jig.  The price isn't far off.  I don't know what shipping would be.  

shipping is about $80 to my zipcode and im in Alexandria
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is this a good example of the press you guys have used?

www2.northerntool.com/product-1/21029.htm

Is that a good price on one of those? I didn't see any at Harbor Freight....

There's a Harbor Freight in Woodbridge (Harbor Freight).  They sell pretty much the same thing.  Occasionally it will go on sale for ~$99.  Sign up for their mailing list and one of these days it will go on sale.  I'm waiting to get one myself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yup, I still need to find the time to get up to NOVA and finish my AK build. Is there anyway to add an extra day to a week?

If you figure it out VGN..  keep it to yourself..  my wife has enough for me to do.  If you add an additional day...  I don't even want to think about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Longboat or Bulldog,

Anyway to get one of you fine gentlemen to help me with my build?

Bomber

ETA Where's the best place to get compliance parts and a receiver. I'm building a Yugo M-92 Krink underfolder
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#29]
tag

Im putting my G36 build on hold so I can get a couple of AK's done before the fabled "bbl ban" takes effect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Longboat or Bulldog,

Bomber

ETA Where's the best place to get compliance parts and a receiver. I'm building a Yugo M-92 Krink underfolder

The best receiver, IMO is a Globaltrades 1mm:

www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

As far as compliance part, I'd go with DPH Arms

Let me know when you'd like to put one together. My first was (with Longboat's help) an M92 Pistol.

I liked it so much I bought another M92 to SBR.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Longboat or Bulldog,

Bomber

The best receiver, IMO is a Globaltrades 1mm:

www.globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

As far as compliance part, I'd go with DPH Arms

Let me know when you'd like to put one together. My first was (with Longboat's help) an M92 Pistol.

I liked it so much I bought another M92 to SBR.

Very cool.....I plan to SBR mine also but for now I'm stuck with the mock silencer.

Bomber
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I just ordered a polish underfolder kit and an  bulgarian AKS-74 sidefolder kit.

Is it dificult to cut the underfolder trunion holes yourself?  Any ideas where to get a rec. thats pre-drilled?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I just ordered 2 more kits and 4 flats.
I can drill out the rivets and clean up the kits myself, but bending the flats would be an issue. And my tiny townhouse garage is too small for another piece of tooling (the press).

Anyone got a few minutes to spare in NoVa that can help me bend some flats?

And how hard is it to do the barrel removal with a press? Looks like a pain to set up and do to me.

I got rivet sets just in case, but I can always do a screw build if necessary.  I've messed around with those before.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#34]
flat bending is easy..

pushing a barrel out or in on a press is simple..  about 2 min in setup

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
If it's not too far to travel for you guys(or girls), we are having a shoot/build/camping party at the end of the month here in Northern WV.  It'll be on the 26th-28th.  Although people can come as early as the 21st.  We have a few coming early to do a few builds so they can have them for the weekend.  Should have all the necessary tools.

I've been to a few build parties and there wasn't too much chaos folks.  Actually they're a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Ok, my flats are in today, anyone in NoVa that I can bug for a few minutes to bend these things for me?  Or let me use their press and jig so I can do it?

WVA isn't going to work for me, so I'm checkin around with you other guys first....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top