Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 4:51:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 4:52:18 AM EDT by HKMP5A2]
pros and cons thinking about my hks and m11 already put in 10-22
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:31:35 AM EDT
A lot of folks view them as cheap insurance.
I view them as novelty accessories in most cases.

They're particularly useless in AKs, where they're supposed to cushion the blow of the bolt-carrier hitting the rear trunion.
.... except ..... the bolt-carrier doesn't ever hit the rear trunion.
It shouldn't ever get close to coil-bind.
If it does, you need a new recoil spring, rather than some polyurethane inserted behind the faulty spring.

If folks have modified their firearms, or like to hotload their ammo into orbit ... that's a different story.
In general, a mechanical engineer selected a spring that would cycle the reciprocating mass without bottoming out or binding up, and then allowed a comfortable margin of error.
It should 'oscillate' without ever needing to be 'buffered'.

Drawcut's an M.E. ........ drag him into this.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:53:21 PM EDT
I'd pick 'em up for teh HK and the M11, they're cheap, and in those operating systems they might do some good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:29:15 PM EDT by Drawcut]

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
A lot of folks view them as cheap insurance.
I view them as novelty accessories in most cases.

They're particularly useless in AKs, where they're supposed to cushion the blow of the bolt-carrier hitting the rear trunion.
.... except ..... the bolt-carrier doesn't ever hit the rear trunion.
It shouldn't ever get close to coil-bind.
If it does, you need a new recoil spring, rather than some polyurethane inserted behind the faulty spring.

If folks have modified their firearms, or like to hotload their ammo into orbit ... that's a different story.
In general, a mechanical engineer selected a spring that would cycle the reciprocating mass without bottoming out or binding up, and then allowed a comfortable margin of error.
It should 'oscillate' without ever needing to be 'buffered'.

Drawcut's an M.E. ........ drag him into this.

Man, I'm gone for few days and my name gets dropped. Yes I'm an M.E., but not a firearms designer.

My 2 cents: Some designs will operate with the bolt / bolt carrier striking something solid in the back of the reciever - like the above mentioned 10-22. I have a buffer in mine also and the difference is noticable. In other designs, things should never come close to metal on metal contact. I don't know of any designs that would let the recoil spring go solid before something else hit, but I could be wrong.

I haven't looked at the M11 or HK designs in a long time, so I really couldn't say for sure. My guess would be that the M11 might benefit since it has a pretty simple design - but that's just a guess. I think I may need to shoot both for further study.

Edited for some clarity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:46:01 PM EDT
The HK will benefit some, and so will 1911 pistols.

Unfortunately with the 1911, it can also prevent the slide lock from operating, and/or prevent "slingshotting".
Top Top