Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 5:09:26 AM EDT
Just got off the phone with them.  EPA has still not said OK for them to open and won't until next weekend.

They now have an attorney and the Attorney Gen of IL going after them (EPA) to let them re-open since the work has been completed.

Wish them good luck!

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be going to Bristol.  Anyone else care to join me ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I am going to go out to 7 mile on Monday, If you care to join me give me a call.

Batch114
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder of EPA has offered them (BR) any compensation for a summer's
lost revenue.

Well, it's off to Chesterton sunday. (Was gonna go last night but worked late.)

www.rangemasteroutfitters.com

open til 9m, M-Sat.
Til 4pm sunday.
AR's and SMG's welcome.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder of EPA has offered them (BR) any compensation for a summer's
lost revenue.

Well, it's off to Chesterton sunday. (Was gonna go last night but worked late.)

www.rangemasteroutfitters.com

open til 9m, M-Sat.
Til 4pm sunday.
AR's and SMG's welcome.

CKMorley

I wonder if anyone realizes this is Daley BS. Ever been to the south or west side of Chicago? Or Rockford? This was the only place the EPA could find in IL to clean? Please.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The EPA was also used by Clinton and the treehuggers to shut down
ranges  in the past. The guy who has to give the "sign-off" just might
be an anti who's getting off by screwing with another range.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The EPA was also used by Clinton and the treehuggers to shut down
ranges  in the past. The guy who has to give the "sign-off" just might
be an anti who's getting off by screwing with another range.

CKMorley

I'd bet lottery numbers on it. This is a farce.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
My best tinfoil hat guess. They anti's are hoping a summers lost revenue
closes the place down. There are ALOT of new subdivsions being built
north in Oswego. Maybe developers want BR outa they way before they
start buying up farmland to build $300K houses.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

CKMorley

CK I hope you mean Ottawa.  Oswego is pretty far from BR.  I don't think this is as bad as you all might think, keep in mind we are dealing with the Fed gov. nothing moves fast with them.  the work is done but you have to have so many people sign off on it that it can take time.  I am willing to bet that at the latest, they will be open in time for all the shotgun hunters to sight in their guns.  hopefully earlier though.  don't get worried yet friends, could be a legitimate reason why they aren't open yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This was sent to me from a follow BR shooter....

"Hello all, I just talked to the folks at Buffalo Rock and learned some really upsetting things.  First is that the EPA has been finished for over a month and still havent given BR the ok to re-open.  Secondly, they cant get ahold of anyone to come out to give that ok.  What BR did is start giving out the phone number of the Illinois Attorney General (I'll have it below).  I ask each of you to call the AG's office and politely ask them to investigate the EPA and the careless disregard for a lawful business that they are showing to BR.  Remember, Lisa Madigan is the AG, she's another braindead Chicago democrat (like her dad) so word your comments carefully.   The # is (312) 814-5396.
Also, please forward this number and this story to all the shooters and gun owners you know!!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
There ya go. This is being done on purpose.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, We knew it was political BS to start with.  Fuckin' Democraps ! !
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CKMorley

CK I hope you mean Ottawa.  Oswego is pretty far from BR.  I don't think this is as bad as you all might think, keep in mind we are dealing with the Fed gov. nothing moves fast with them.  the work is done but you have to have so many people sign off on it that it can take time.  I am willing to bet that at the latest, they will be open in time for all the shotgun hunters to sight in their guns.  hopefully earlier though.  don't get worried yet friends, could be a legitimate reason why they aren't open yet.

The developments I'm refering to are in Oswego, which is about 40 min. north of Ottawa. A buddy just bought a $300K (overpriced) house in one of the dozens of new developments out there. Suburban sprawl has reached that  far. It could easily spread south from Oswego along Rt 39, etc.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Folks,

I seriously doubt AG Madigan is going to fight for our beloved Buffalo Range. Calling her office is still a good idae, but may I suggest we bug the Environmental Protection Agency also.

EPA Fed Office
Washington, DC 20460
(202) 272-0167

Region 5 (IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI)
Environmental Protection Agency
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60604-3507
http://www.epa.gov/region5/
Phone: (312) 353-2000
Fax: (312) 353-4135
Toll free within Region 5: (800) 621-8431

The area/project in question is the Ottawa Radiation Areas Superfund site. The site includes several areas in and around Ottawa where soil was contaminated by waste products disposed of by the manufacturers of glow-in-the-dark products.

Note: I called the Chgo number today and ALOT of the staff has been shipped to Florida for hurricane recovery projects. Leave voicemail for someone in the public affairs dept. if you can't find a live human.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I hope I'M wrong, but I think it's going to be tough for BR to get this range up and running this year. This is the closest outdoor range to me (50 mins) and sure wish there was another choice around my area (Will County).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Too bad we dont all just show up...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#16]
If everybody in the IL forum kicked in $1000, I bet we could buy some land together to form the "IL Black Rifle Club" Boy wouldn't the Soccer Moms love us
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If everybody in the IL forum kicked in $1000, I bet we could buy some land together to form the "IL Black Rifle Club" Boy wouldn't the Soccer Moms love us

The idea's been kicked around before, but never went anywhere. I think it's a good idea and I'd be up for it.
Farmland out there can't cost that much. The trick would be to buy land far out enough that we wouldn't end up fighting the developers in 5 years.

BTW, this is exactly what several Class3 collectors in Indiana did when IN-DNR forbade Class 3 at DNR ranges.
They bought 60 acres of farmland for @ 60K.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It wouldn't be that hard to do this
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking from multiple experiences, it is much more difficult than you think.   And the more people involved, the more difficult it becomes.........Trust me ! !
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Snojet, dude, how hard could it be to buy some land? I could see how too many people involved would make it tough to actually pull off. Then we would have the soccer moms to contend with too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I was looking into buying some hunting land down south.  Crap land that would not be tillable and was 6 plus hours away. This was selling for like $750 an acre 7 or 8 years ago is going for $2000 plus an acre now. Farm land around plainfield is $60K plus an acre.  This sounds good on paper but really I would rather piss in the wind. Join Aurora Sportmans Club, I have been shooting almost weekly there for the last 1.5 years. Best money I ever spent.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I just called BR. The answering machine now says "The gun range is still closed due to the Atty General's office. To voice your concern call 312.814.3000."

First EPA now Madigan? or did the gal on the machine mis-speak ????

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
.... Join Aurora Sportmans Club, I have been shooting almost weekly there for the last 1.5 years. Best money I ever spent.  

Their website indicates that one has to be "invited" to become a member, by sponsorship of another member in good standing.  There also appears to be an interview process and a waiting list. New probationary members are only added in spring. Sounds kind of exclusive. How much is the membership?

Still I think the BR situation is pure BS.  I spoke with the Atty General's office and they indicated that the range would not be open until November 30th. Due to the EPA.

Sounds like the run around to me. Can anyone nail down the specifics from BR so we can launch a letter righting campaign? Sounds like it's the EPA but BR's message seems to imply it is the AG.

ETA: Addl clarification
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Patriot,   They diffiulties that I've run into in the past when trying to buy land with others are many.
The biggest problem is money.  What might not be much money to me, might be a huge amount to you.  And what might be a lot to me, is nothing to someone else.  So to get a group together that can invest an equal share of money in a project and not break their bank is tough.  The next problem is in terms of rules and control. "I'm paying X amount of money, so I can bring anyone I want to the property."  That was what I heard over and over again.  You MUST be a member to enjoy the facility.  Otherwise,  you get a bunch of freeloaders in there.  Then there are legal considerations.......   The list goes on and on.  As much as I'd love to do this, I just don't see it happening.  I'll tell you more on the 19th at Lakemoor.

-sno
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Snojet, you go to the shows in Lakemoor??  I'm close, so I make it to most of them, just to look.  I never end up spending much, the GI bill is a pretty fixed income.  

It may not be a huge show, but I'll take what  I can get in this part of the state.

Edit:

Damn!  thais was post 223! On AR15.com!  Ha!!

Yes, I'm easily amused.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep.....I'll be there early on the 19th.   I'll have a pre-ban.com t-shirt on.  Stop me and say Hi ! !
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Their website indicates that one has to be "invited" to become a member, by sponsorship of another member in good standing. There also appears to be an interview process and a waiting list. New probationary members are only added in spring. Sounds kind of exclusive. How much is the membership?

Smitty59:

They only take new members Jan, Feb,& Mar . $600 first year, $200 yearly dues there after. Come and check out the club  they shoot trap on Tuesday nights, Friday Nights and Saturday AM.... There having sporting clay shoot on Sat Sept 11 & 18 ,... Trap and sporting clays is open to the public so you can come in and shoot it if thats your game or at least you can come out to see the club...
They have a small place now about 40 acres. But are planning on moving to Waterman down the road. Will be bigger and better if that happens....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Their website indicates that one has to be "invited" to become a member, by sponsorship of another member in good standing. There also appears to be an interview process and a waiting list. New probationary members are only added in spring. Sounds kind of exclusive. How much is the membership?

Smitty59:

They only take new members Jan, Feb,& Mar . $600 first year, $200 yearly dues there after. Come and check out the club  they shoot trap on Tuesday nights, Friday Nights and Saturday AM.... There having sporting clay shoot on Sat Sept 11 & 18 ,... Trap and sporting clays is open to the public so you can come in and shoot it if thats your game or at least you can come out to see the club...
They have a small place now about 40 acres. But are planning on moving to Waterman down the road. Will be bigger and better if that happens....

Thanks  jms92.

Doesn't sound too bad once you get over the 1st year hump. Aurora is actually closer to me than BR. I live up in Hoffman Estates.  What kind of range fees do they charge members? I'm thinking this might make more sense costwise. I would like to be able to shoot with my wife and kids and not break the bank.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#29]
The bullshit we have to put up with to go shooting!  That's it, I give up, I'm turnin all my guns in!   NOT!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Smitty59:

YEOW...

And I thought RCLR/7-Mile was 'high' in WI with 185 1st/25 thereafter...

Of course, our range is owned by the military (the club serves as caretakers), so that may contribute to the lower cost...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smitty59:

YEOW...

And I thought RCLR/7-Mile was 'high' in WI with 185 1st/25 thereafter...

Of course, our range is owned by the military (the club serves as caretakers), so that may contribute to the lower cost...

Where exactly is this range located?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Smitty59:

Aurora Sportmens club is located just off Rt47 in Sugar Grove. No range fees. Join then  pay your yearly dues($200) and you and your family can shoot everyday if you wish. My son and I shoot try to get out there weekly.  

Check it out :
http://www.aurorasc.org/

If you want more info email me................

Plans for new range are in Waterman just west of where  they are now.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top