Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2021 7:50:22 AM EDT
For those that live outside (155) artillery range of OKC or Tulsa, say 20-40mi, what broadband options do you have?
Ive been seeing options from the mobile providers for various types of fixed wireless, eg.  T-mobile, Verizon etc

Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
We went with Rural 4G down here between Wister and Fanshaw where before our only option was satellite. T-Mobile is the provider we started with Verizon but they hiked their rates and then the AT&T card wouldn’t gather enough signal. It’s a bit expensive for unlimited but a hell of a lot cheaper than satellite with a data cap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I am 70 miles SW of OKC and use a wireless service provided by the local telephone company.  It uses cell bandwidth and transmits from a tower a few miles away to a small antennae on my house.  No caps or anything like that and my speed is anywhere from 20-30 mbps which is all we need.  Wife and I both work from home full time plus our TV service is via online and it works for us.

Look at a WISP map and you will see the providers for the area you are interested in.  As soon as Starlink is available we are getting that as a second provider.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I used Verizon 4G for years about 20 miles south of Tulsa.  Switched to T-Mobile (and 5G) recently to save money.  T-Mobile also has a dedicated 5G home internet that I haven't tried.

Our power company recently ran fiber to most of their customer base.  It's available to us, but we have a lot of other things we need to sort out with the house before we mess with that.

If you're in an area covered by TDS Telecom, you may or may not be able to get either fiber or DSL.

If you're in the area covered by Bixby Telephone Company, their broadband coverage is supposed to cover just about every customer they have, supposedly.

Terrestrial wireless is a thing that I never looked into seriously, but I know it's an option that some people go with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
20 miles east of Tulsa.  Vyve

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top