Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2003 5:10:42 PM EDT
I went to the range today to double check loads and zeros on my doggin' rifles.  One of my Remington 700 223's is now consistantly shooting under 1/2 " @ 100 yards.  This rifle is basically a factory rifle  (with a little "tuning").  There was a wasp on the 100 yard target, I called out the shot to my son, and nailed it.  I shot the wings off the wasp.  He was still crawling around on the target when we went down to clean up.  Time to head to Montana.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  

I consistantly shoot under 1/4 " @ 100 yards.

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
psssst  The best prairie rat hunting is in southwestern North Dakota
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I just shoot squirrels and misc creatures on relatives' farm land.  Fun enough for me.  Never went prairie dawg huntin'.  Do you actually clean/eat them, or leave 'em for the buzzards?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh god eating a prarie dog?  thats gross dude!

Alot of the times there isn't much left of them intact.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot under 1 foot at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I shoot under 1 foot at 100 yards.

Once I shot my friends foot at a hundred yards...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You SURE F#CKING DID!!!  I STILL HAVE THE LIMP!!!
J/K...    Wasn't me U shot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
you can't eat prairie rats, the are cannables,
leave em lay out there and one of their kin will come up and start munching on their carcus, and then blast that one too
then later in the day wait for the good ol' coyote to come out looking for a free meal and give him a lead dinner, about the only thing besides coyotes that eat prairie rats are rattlers, eagles and owls, Now if you get a big ol' diamond back  thats good eating, but BEWARE  never ever stick your hand down a prairie dog hole, them damn rattlers just might be in there
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have trouble deciding which mind frame I like better.....One accurate precise hole..or....total swiss cheeze complete with gun oil burning off the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I tend to choose the 1 hole method because I can't afford shooting multiple holes...

It seems as though ever since I built my AR15 I've been in a SEVERE AMMO DRAUGHT!

Edited to add:  Only for small game, never been prairie dawg gunnin'
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, I'm back from Montana.  I only got a small amount of shooting myself.  I had all three of my sons along, and I was trying to get them in on the first shots at the dogs.  In addition to it being late in the year (the towns have been shot on pretty heave this year = smart doggies) and the temps being in the 100+ range every day, the shooting was pretty tough.  The 10x scope on my DPMS rifle is definitely not good for doggin'.

I think next year, I'm going doggin in May; still cool, and the pups are up!

Sleepy717  
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
May is always good  but get out before memeorial day, I still say the best underrated Prairie dog hunting is in SW North Dakota, I go the weekend of opening fishing, which leads to this  bring a old shitty rod and reel with and some celery and peanut butter, fix it to a trebble hook and snag a pup, then set the hook good  when they bite down on it, reel'em in and let the other shooters try out their luck with a Ruger Single Six, use the magnum cylinder, and not for sqeemish at heart, that way you can say  you did some 1st class prairie trolling as far as scopes go I have a 6 x 18 and a 8.25 x 24 Leupolds on my 2 main dog rifles, they work great
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two 6.5 x 20 leup's and two 6 x 24 B & L's .  I like them both equally well.  The B & L's seem to have better glass (and finer adjustments), but I trust the Leupolds better as they seem to be a "sturdier" scope.  Oh well, I have 'till next spring to figure it out.  It was just nice to get out and do some shootin'.  It was especially nice to be starting out the next generation of shooters on the "real deal" (and to see them be successful!).
Sleepy717
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top