Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 12:42:12 PM EDT
D12's Proof Shot And Killed At Detroit Club

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528386/20060411/d12.jhtml?headlines=true

Proof, a member of the Eminem-fronted Detroit-based hip-hop sextet D12, was killed early Tuesday morning outside a Detroit nightclub in a shooting that left another man in critical condition.

According to a spokesperson for the Detroit Police

DeShaun 'Proof' Holton: 1973-2006
Department, Proof (real name: DeShaun Holton) suffered a gunshot wound to the head at the CCC Club on East Eight Mile Road, near Gratiot Avenue. By the time police arrived just after 5 a.m., the club — which was operating illegally, after hours — had been cleared out, but several witnesses have come forward to discuss the incident with investigators.

The police spokesperson said only that "an altercation occurred [inside the club], and shots rang out," but would not discuss the shooting further, as the 32-year-old rapper's next of kin have not yet been notified.

Both victims (the other man's name has not been released) were transported to hospitals; Proof was rushed to St. John Holy Cross Hospital, while the second victim, who is 35 and also sustained a gunshot to the head, was taken to St. John Hospital, where he's listed as being in critical condition. Proof was pronounced dead on arrival.

Proof, Eminem's longtime friend (see "Proof: 'Eminem's Best Friend' And A Vital Member Of Detroit's Hip-Hop Scene"), appeared in the film "8 Mile" as Lil' Tic; he also served as Eminem's best man when the rapper remarried Kim Mathers in January. Eminem filed for divorce last week (see "Eminem Files For Divorce From Kim — Again").

Police are searching for the suspected gunman; a description has not been made available. Detectives have asked that anyone with any information on the shooting come forward.

The shooting is the second in three months to involve a member of Eminem's inner circle. Em protégé Obie Trice was shot and wounded New Year's Eve while riding with his girlfriend along a Detroit freeway (see "Obie Trice Recovering From New Year's Eve Shooting"); police have yet to make an arrest in connection with that incident, which remains under investigation. One of D12's original members, Bugz (real name: Kornail Pitts) was shot and killed on May 21, 1999, during a picnic at Detroit's Belle Isle Park.

According to the Detroit Free Press, several Detroit hip-hop DJs, radio personalities, rappers and producers, as well as Eminem and Obie Trice, planned to meet with Proof's family at the hospital on Tuesday morning (April 11). D12 was set to begin work on its third album this month.

MTV News will have more on this developing story throughout the day.

— Chris Harris

p.s. I must be a cold SOB, because I couldn't possibly care less if one more rapper meets the fate of Caput Fursure.  I did find it interesting that both "victims" were shot in the head.  Wonder how far apart they were and what caliber and type of weapon they used.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The citizens of Detroit should be happy that there is now less competition for breathable air.  I wonder when this Rap fad is going to go away.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet 4 replies before dying into obscurity.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Natural selection at work...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The citizens of Detroit should be happy that there is now less competition for breathable air.  I wonder when this Rap fad is going to go away.

It is going away, one rapper at a time!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, I'm gonna miss him. That dude could bust a rhyme. He was dope and sick, and yo dog and stuff. NowutIBsayN?

I feel for his mom (and his dad if he of she knew who he was).

It's funny how serious these folks take their music and how frivolously they take life itself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder what was going through his mind when it "all went down"???
A bullet!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh joy another rap/gansta bitch got shot in the head. You know if we REALLY wanted to solve this problem we should just let them all have guns and go out to the edge of town to duke it out. Natural selection at it's finest.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Prolly execution style, somebody walked by, stopped right next to a dude and pulled a Lincoln with probably a Glock...     of course, held sideways

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's funny how serious these folks take their music and how frivolously they take life itself.

I couldn't agree more with you.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Prolly execution style, somebody walked by, stopped right next to a dude and pulled a Lincoln with probably a Glock...     of course, held sideways

That went through my mind too!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ye of little faith in your fellow GA Arfcommers.  

Quoted:
Man, I'm gonna miss him. That dude could bust a rhyme. He was dope and sick, and yo dog and stuff. NowutIBsayN?

This is so true.  Reminds me of a friend I know who grew up in Compton.  He did stupid stuff all the time.  I asked him why, and he said growing up he never thought he'd live to be 18, much less 25 or 30.  I first met him when he was 21 or so.  He's in his early 30s now.  He's matured a bit, but I guess old habits die hard <no pun intended>.  Unfortunately, I doubt he'll live to a ripe old age.

Quoted:

I knew somebody would have an answer.  Thanks Graziani!  

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ye of little faith in your fellow GA Arfcommers.  

Quoted:

This is so true.  Reminds me of a friend I know who grew up in Compton.  He did stupid stuff all the time.  I asked him why, and he said growing up he never thought he'd live to be 18, much less 25 or 30.  I first met him when he was 21 or so.  He's in his early 30s now.  He's matured a bit, but I guess old habits die hard <no pun intended>.  Unfortunately, I doubt he'll live to a ripe old age.

Quoted:

I knew somebody would have an answer.  Thanks Graziani!  

Fo snizzle? Damn, razzle dazzle wuzzel fuzzel. Shot out to my homeys and my peeps. Wurd! Peace out mutherf^&%$#s!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Why does Snoop Dogg always walk around with an umbrella?
Fo' drizzle!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, who ever said rappers were good for nothing?  We got some nice ballistics testing out of this one.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Thug Life is a bitch, yo
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I really detest the hip hop and rap culture and what they portray, but for some reason, this incident interests me.  

1.  How many times have you heard folks talk about carrying 24/7.  "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."  Seems this guy Mario did just that.  Don't know if he had a concealed carry license, but it sounds like he didn't, or he wasn't allowed to do it in a bar, like here.  
2. Another thing is that Proof shot and seriously wounded an apparently un-armed man.  I don't hear anybody in the news media or public villifying him.  I guess you can't speak ill of the dead.  Since he's a celebrity, I guess he could do no wrong like our local pride and joy Cynthia.  
3.  The 2nd arcticle says "somebody" shot Proof  twice in the head and twice in the back.  That sounds like some pretty good shooting depending on distance and circumstances.  
4.  Nobody else was hit.  

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/555511/suspectchargedproof.php

Suspect Charged in Death of Proof

By Steve Taylor

Saturday, April 15, 2006

On Friday, CCC nightclub bouncer and the shooting suspect in the death of D12 rap star Proof, Mario Etheridge of Detroit, was officially charged with carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm in an occupied structure. The charges, executed by the prosecutor's office of Wayne County, Michigan, carry a nine year prison sentence if Mario Etheridge is convicted.

In a case that's still in its infancy, with much more investigation to take place, MTV reports on prosecutor Kim Worthy's latest statement, "I am making a personal plea to the public to let the legal process take course. We do not want people taking the law into their own hands. The worst thing that could happen now would be to compound this situation by having any more senseless deaths."

Although Mario Etheridge was not charged with murder in the death of D12 rapper Proof, details of the arraignment have been widely reported around the web, as in the latest story from Forbes, "Etheridge was arraigned via video by Magistrate Steve Lockhart in 36th District Court in Detroit. Bond was set at $70,000 and a preliminary hearing in the case was scheduled for April 26. The Wayne County prosecutor's office said that without the weapons charges, which were issued Friday, authorities would have had to release Etheridge. The shooting remains under investigation."

Mario Etheridge turned himself into police earlier in the week and, according to the The Boston Globe, maintains the circumstances as self-defense, “Etheridge has been held by police since he surrendered Wednesday afternoon; his attorney has said the shooting was in self-defense. Detroit police said they were told by witnesses that Etheridge shot Proof early Tuesday after Proof shot Army veteran Keith Bender, 35, inside the CCC, a nightclub along Eight Mile Road.”

Funeral arrangements are currently being made for Proof, which will be held this coming Wednesday, according to Iron Fist, Proof's record label.

Eminem came to the defense of his friend, late rapper Proof, who was killed in a recent nightclub shooting. Along with Eminem, Proof’s lawyer also stood up for his late client, who has become the speculative target of controversy indicating that he was instigator of the shooting which ended his life.

On Tuesday, Eminem surfaced on his website to release a public statement on the events surrounding the death of his longtime friend and the life of his rapper friend, “. He pushed me to become who I am. Without Proof's guidance and encouragement there would have been a Marshall Mathers, but probably not an Eminem and certainly never a Slim Shady.”

The shooting took place on Detroit's now-infamous Eight Mile Road, which Marshall "Eminem" Mathers popularized in his semi-autobiographical movie, 8 Mile. Another shooting took place on Eight Mile Road early Thursday morning at the C-Note Lounge, during a record release party. A 19-year old man was shot and killed, while a 25-year-old man was shot in the hand. Police do not believe there is a relation between the two shootings.

Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, was credited with starting the Detroit rap group, D12, which featured rap sensation Eminem. The group released two hit CDs, Devil's Night and D12 World. Proof had also released a solo album, entitled Searching For Jerry Garcia, from his independent rap label, Iron Fist Records.

[Additional Sources: MTV, Forbes, Boston Globe, AP]

- Steve Taylor

www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/8641979/detail.html

Suspect Arrested In Shooting Death Of Rapper Proof
Second Shooting Victim Remains On Life Support

POSTED: 10:39 am EDT April 12, 2006
UPDATED: 6:15 pm EDT April 12, 2006

DETROIT -- A suspect has been arrested in connection with the shooting death of rapper Proof.

Mario Etheridge, 28, of Detroit is in police custody.

The arrest stems from an argument that broke out Tuesday between Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, and another Detroit man.

Proof opened fire, hitting former Army Sgt. Keith Bender Jr. Someone else fired shots at Proof, hitting him twice in the head and twice in the back, Detroit television station WDIV-TV reported.

Bender remains on life support.

Proof was a close friend of Detroit rapper Eminem and also a founding member of the rap group D-12.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top