Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 1:41:29 PM EDT
BBC

A 12-year-old boy has died after being shot in the eye with an airgun pellet.

Ambulance personnel were called to Greenway Hall Road in Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent, on Thursday afternoon.

Mitchel Picken died in hospital on Saturday from a penetration wound. Two boys, both 12, have been arrested and released on police bail.

In a statement Andrew and Joanne Picken said their son, who went to Holden High School in Sneyd Green, was a beautiful, intelligent young boy.

"We have lost a kind and caring son," they said.

"He and his brother Lewis, seven, thought the world of each other. There is now a massive gap in all of our lives."

'Sensitive inquiry'

Mitchel, from Baddeley Green Lane in Baddeley Green, was a Port Vale fan and a keen sports player.

The 12-year-old had played a season for Newcastle Town FC where he was chosen as the manager's player of the year.

Detective Inspector Neil Hulme said: "Our thoughts are very much with Mitchel's family and friends.

"This is obviously a very sensitive inquiry. We are working with the other two boys to establish exactly what happened, before deciding on the most appropriate way forward.

"Although the full circumstances have yet to be established, Mitchel's death would appear to serve as a terrible reminder of the dangers of children having access to air weapons."
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
This is very sad and no one likes to see this happen.

but..

Air rifles are not toys and as such 12 year olds should not be playing with these unsupervised.
Someone should be held accountable...my finger is pointing at the parents/guardians.

But I bet the media will be pointing fingers at the evil air rifles...and as it's in scotland this could be the final straw for them.

I can see where this is heading
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

but..

Air rifles are not toys and as such 12 year olds should not be playing with these unsupervised.
Someone should be held accountable...my finger is pointing at the parents/guardians.

But I bet the media will be pointing fingers at the evil air rifles...and as it's in scotland this could be the final straw for them.

I'm just about to indroduce Airrifles onto my website, But i wonder how long i'll be able to sell them for , Mail order, i know there was a lot of talk about needing an RFD cert to start selling them but that went a bit quiet. I'll carry on with my plans and see what happens

Very sad event with the boy, but you cant blame the Air gun shooting fraternity ! ( I'm sure they will though )

Airguns on your FAC just like Ireland !
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but..

I'm just about to indroduce Airrifles onto my website, But i wonder how long i'll be able to sell them for , Mail order, i know there was a lot of talk about needing an RFD cert to start selling them but that went a bit quiet. I'll carry on with my plans and see what happens

Very sad event with the boy, but you cant blame the Air gun shooting fraternity ! ( I'm sure they will though )

If they were to put handguns and semiauto AR15's back on FAC like Ireland I would not have a problem with that!

And the FAC system in Ireland is a piece of piss, go down the Gardai shop, show you club membership card, fill in the form, basically name, address, and what you want, Sergent does a quick check on the criminal database, if your clear he signs it and takes your money, sends it to the Super who approves it, no hassle with home visits and stuff.

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but..

This is very tragic and does not bode well for anyone. I don't think being an RFD will make the slightest difference. Airguns are generally sold to those old enough to be responsible but they all too easily fall into the wrong or inexperienced hands. Licensing is an impossibility and this Government is not known for making considered decisions based on common sense and reality.........
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my cadets got shot in the eye two months ago. At 16 she had her career mapped out - college then Army, but now it's a no go. She is a very bright and clever kid and could easily achieve anything she set her mind to, and it's sad to see all her dreams shattered.

They know who did it, but the Police cannot prove it despite witnesses. She was in the local park with friends, the pellet was meant for someone else but the scumbag missed and shot her instead. She's lost the sight in the left eye with no chance of recovering it.

In this town it only warrented a few short column inches in the local once-a-week paper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Attempted murder surely?

Honestly the complacency the old bill treat incidents like this with staggers me

Richard
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
We used to play Cowboys and Injus with GAT's, catapults and bows & arrows when I was a kid in Ireland… hence my blind right eye and leftie shooting stylie.

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Attempted murder surely?

Honestly the complacency the old bill treat incidents like this with staggers me

Richard

Probably not attempted murder, but should be sufficient for a wounding/GBH as it doesn't matter in law that the victim was an unintended one. It's called the doctrine of 'transferred malice'. Still carries a life sentence (for what that means these days)

I find it hard to believe that any police force would not prosecute if there were sufficient evidence, especially for such a serious assault. I expect that, as ever, there is more to this story than we know on here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top