Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/9/2007 2:19:18 PM EST
A couple fo months ago I was looking for info on starting to shoot at some events. Someone turned me on to Bone Creek Gun Club next Pittsburg. I could never make it to the 3rd Sunday shoots which looked like fun due to work. Well, now I have a new job where I am off on the weekends and I am wanting to start shooting finally. Does anyone know if they are having the 3rd Sunday shoot this Month and if so.. what do I need to bring?

Thanks,

Adam
Charger Arms
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:31:12 PM EST
We will shoot this Sunday the 17th beginning at 10 AM.

Map to BCGC north of Pittsburg

I'll try to post some photos of previous shoots later.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:18:52 PM EST
Come by Echo Valley by Dexter and Winfeild.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:29:53 PM EST
Echo Valley? Where exactly by dexter is that. I am a Cowley native living in Cherryvale now.. Any place I can learn is where I want to shoot this next year or 2.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:32:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2007 3:32:55 PM EST by ksu_nutzer]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:54:19 PM EST
Between winfield and dexter. Take the road out of winfeild heading for dexter. Do you know where the candy shop is on that road? If you do the turn off is right after the bridge heading toward the candy store. Then it is only a couple of miles down a dirt/rock road.

Great people to shoot with. Unfortunately the next shoot is a couple of months away. It will be a 3gun style match.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:31:02 PM EST
I have a friend in AC that is helping me get started 3 gunniong with his advice. He built my upper and I hope to get to shoot with him soon. Let me know what the dates are for Echo Valley. With my store open on I could race on Snday, sell on Monday.

Thanks
Nutzer..

PS. I will be eating some rock candy from Henry's while I shoot.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:31:55 PM EST
Is it the same place they have the Women's NRA shoot each fall? North of Dexter?
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:08:13 PM EST
http://www.echovalleyrange.com/

Here is the link to Echo Valley.

Really good people. Ususally around 30-35 shooters show up for each match. Next match is in Sept. . It is held at Kent's ranch. In the link you will find a good map and a schedule. The Sept. match is going to be a 3 gun style match. If you have any questions about 3 gun or equipment just IM me. I have been shooting comps for about 5 years now and love it. It getts addictive because it is so fun.

I also shot an IPSC match and 3 gun match at air capital shooters club in Augusta, but I have heard that they are not running comps any more. They were great people too, I hope they start back up soon.

I am also interested in Bone Creek shoots. I need to do some research into them. Can never go to too many shooting comps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:15:24 PM EST
Also Hutchinson has a High power shoot every month at the Sunflower gun club (they have one of the longest rifle ranges that I know of) There are also plate matches and some 22 rifle matches. Supposed to be fun, but I like 3 gun, IDPA,TSA, IPSC matches the best.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:59:02 PM EST
Yeah.. same place I was thinking of. Maybe by then I will have the needed holsters and extra crap.. Are you a Cowley area native?
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 6:36:24 PM EST
For some other regional shooting options, the Joplin (MO) Rifle & Pistol Club offers all kinds of matches including action pistol on the 4th Sunday of the month. I believe all of their matches are open to nonmembers.

Joplin Rifle & Pistol Club Info

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:31:38 PM EST

Yeah.. same place I was thinking of. Maybe by then I will have the needed holsters and extra crap.. Are you a Cowley area native?

Nope. I am from western kansas. My friend who was an officer for the Clearwater police department got me into the sport. I started in 2003 and have been doing it ever since. We originally started in IDPA, but changed to TSA after the rule changes in IDPA. It is much more wide open and the rules are more realistic. You do not need much to get involved. For comps, kydex is king so just a cheap uncle mikes or fobus holster work really well. A mag pouch, also kydex, is also recomended. Buttons and snaps only slow you down. As for a firearm, anything in 9mm and up will work. There are revolver stages and semi auto stages, but I have only seen one person shoot a revolver and he only did it in one comp. Glocks and XD's rule the roost. You only need 3 mags, but I usually carry 5. One in the gun and 4 in pouches on the hip. Also you will need a cover garmet. Anything from a 5.11 vest to a simple shirt will do. Lastly you will need hearing and eye protection.

We do not shoot much official 3 gun, but we have multi gun stages and side stages. A good shotgun and an AR will cover just about every base. I use a semi auto 12 gauge and I have a 3 AR's that are set up for short, medium and long ranges, but a standard 16" A3 with a 3x9 scope will cover virtually all bases. We have shot ranges from muzzle out to around 500 yards.

Basically bring what you have, and if you do not have what is needed many people will offer you the use of thiers. When I first started I did not have a good shot gun, so I used a couple of the guys benelli M4's. (Awsome shotgun, I will be getting one in the near future) I hope this answers any questions that you may have, and I hope to see you in sept. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:33:13 PM EST
The M$ is awsome .. I ran 20 slugs and 25 5 shot birdshells though mine Saturday.. I just needed to shoot that damn thing some..
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:35:08 PM EST
I added The Joplin Club to my favorites.. Thanks.. It is good to know I have choices in the area.. Not just pasture to shoot over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:06:13 PM EST
Joplin is a great club. A number of the Bone Creek shooters make the drive every month.

As mentioned above Joplin's match is the 4th Sunday of each month at 1 PM. Cost is $10 for members and non-members. They tend to do mostly all handgun matches with a rare shotgun or rifle stage thrown in every few months. They are a USPSA club.

In spite of the name JGC is located a couple miles east of Galena, KS off Hwy 66. Here's the map in pdf. Hwy 66 is called 7th ST on the map.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:07:34 PM EST
I had a blast and I will be back. Next time.. I won't hit the white ones.
Top Top