Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:34:23 AM EDT
Anybody know of a place that does good installs at a good price. The ones I've seen are about $65
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked  AO?

I to need to do this soon. Still debating on which is better the cut and drill knobs or the turn and thread knobs.  Which one are you doing and why?edit for hot link to AO
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going with badger ordinance biolt, the have apdf on how to do out correctly. The grind old bolt then thread it, I rather have it tjreaded, just seems like out would hold better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with this guy Keith from Pheonix Custom Rifles...  excellent work and turned around in a day or two (plus shipping times).  I got the 'Marksman' knob and am very pleased.

Here is lots of pics from sniper's hide forum.

click here
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Phoenix does a phenomenal job, the Marksman bolt knob is one of my favorites.

My personal .308 has a Badger Ord knob on it and I like it, as well.  I'm sure AO could do you a good n' quick job on installing one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you checked  AO?

I to need to do this soon. Still debating on which is better the cut and drill knobs or the turn and thread knobs.  Which one are you doing and why?edit for hot link to AO

I watched Jason at AO for a few hours the other day do several bolt handles. They turn down the knob then thread it. The inside of a 700 handle will actually have tiny voids in the metal....the turn and thread leaves you with a whole lot more material and strength...It really is crazy to see the work they go threw just for a bolt knob.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
AO did mine with a badger knob.  Excellent work, price was around 55-65 if I remember correctly, seems more than fair given what they do to fit it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AO did mine with a badger knob.  Excellent work, price was around 55-65 if I remember correctly, seems more than fair given what they do to fit it.

are these $60 process for just the install labor or is that for the knob and labor?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessin' that's just the labor, as the BO knob costs $30 or so retail by itself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the reminder.  I've been meaning to get this done for awhile.  Sent Rem700 bolt out UPS to AO today for a Badger Ord knob.  

Is it ready yet?  

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder.  I've been meaning to get this done for awhile.  Sent Rem700 bolt out UPS to AO today for a Badger Ord knob.  

Is it ready yet?  

Shipped it out five days ago (Thursday) and received it back today (following Tuesday).  How is that for quick turnaround?  Nice job Mark!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Went with this one - not fancy but works fine and is cost effective: LINK
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it ready yet?  

Shipped it out five days ago (Thursday) and received it back today (following Tuesday).  How is that for quick turnaround?  Nice job Mark!  

Pics with the knob removed please
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Red loctite :)

Fro mentioned something about voids in the handle while threading. I was actually curious if you cutoff see those in the threads. Does it show up the threads having a gap in them? Or am I just completely missing what he was saying?

But, while I have you here, you turn down the handles instead of cutting them off and drilling a hole for an insert right? What's the difference in the two?  Why one over there other? I am just curious.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Went with this one - not fancy but works fine and is cost effective: LINK

I was wondering when someone was going to do that.  At one time, I thought of doing something similar.

I'm amazed that rifle manufacturers don't just make the bolt handle threaded from the factory.

It would make their rifles more versatile for a variety of scope/optics options and open up a whole new industry of bolt handle designs and finishes.  Kind of like the variety of shifter knobs for cars.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Many modern actions do come with threaded handles.  It is more conducive to their manufacturing process.  My guess regarding Remington 700s is that re-tooling from a cast handle they have been making for decades to a blank that can easily be threaded would add more cost to the rifle than the bean-counters can stomach.  That, and FGI lawyers may somehow imagine a scenario where a loosened bolt knob can inadvertently cause a shooter to aim at a bystander's head and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, we thread the outside of the handle.  Yes, the Remington handles often have voids.

This is a picture of a fairly typical void although this is on the larger side; many voids are much smaller.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/AccurateOrdnance/Damage%20and%20Problems/boltVoidLarge.jpg

Threading the exterior of the handle provides the greatest structural integrity once the knob is in place.  The void simply doesn't matter.  We very much believe this is the strongest way to install a bolt handle.  

Don't worry much about the voids.  They really aren't that big of a deal.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Wow! Interesting!!!  I guess cast really does leave voids....

Thanks for the education!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#19]
That's pretty weird looking with that void.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
So again over thinking here......

Should you try to fill that void with something before its threaded? JB weld or something?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's pretty weird looking with that void.

Yep.  First time I saw one I about freaked out.  Then I was amazed to find out how common it is to find these.  Now I'm over it.    

Mark

Sounds like that time in elementary school when I accidentally wandered into the wrong locker room!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So again over thinking here......

Should you try to fill that void with something before its threaded? JB weld or something?

Nope, its fine. Hundreds if not thousands of bolt knobs agree.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#24]
The voids are a non-issue as long as something is covering it and structurally supporting it, like the metal from an unmodified knob, or a screw-on knob that is glued-on.  If you think about it, most strong structures have intentional voids- either to improve rigidity for its mass, or reduce weight.  On top of that, the end of the handle at the knob is one of the less-stressed parts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Man! Its nice being able to ask stupid question and have so many qualified people around to answer then!

Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, never seen a Rem700 bolt knob crack or break...........I have seen a few come completely off the bolt body (they're soldered on), but never one break.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top