Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/8/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
So when's our next outing? The 21st or the 28th? I'm going to have a decent scope on my M1A by then (probably IOR). And I'm going to look for those target spheres. Anyone remember what they're called?

Ar10er, I'm going to order some .45 ACP brass. It's listing for $40 per 1000. Look here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The BFF Garage LAN is on the 21st, so I am completely out on that date.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
TheBFF Garage LAN is on the 21st, so I am completely out on that date.  

Hey!! We could shoot *and* avoid Ryfter at the same time by going on the 21st!!  

Actually I'll probably be attending the Boise Fragfest LAN also. So lets make it the 28th.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
21st is good for me.  Sadly I dont think I'll have any new toys by then.

Damn Spiff, you've posted half of the posts in this thread...post whore!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
21st is good for me.  Sadly I dont think I'll have any new toys by then.

Lets make the 28th. Ryfter and I can't make it the 21st.

Damn Spiff, you've posted half of the posts in this thread...post whore!

Oh yeah.... that's like the pot calling the kettle black!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice to meet you Kettle!

Ok the 28th will work for me too, but I still wont have my 1911 by then.   Damn saving takes forever!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice to meet you Kettle!

Ok the 28th will work for me too, but I still wont have my 1911 by then.   Damn saving takes forever!

The way thinks are going, I may let you have that Gold Cup for $750.00.  That's if you are intrested.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked how that GC shot...accurately
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ar10er, if you get a chance, will you measure the length of the IOR on your HK?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ar10er, if you get a chance, will you measure the length of the IOR on your HK?

9 & 1/8" without the rear eyecup, and 10 & 5/8" with the cup on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys! Hopefully I'll be able to make it out there one of these days.  probably not for a few weeks though.  I'm in the process of trying to move for the 4th time in 13 monthshere
I am also waiting to actually get my AR-15.  it's a bushy M4gery from Ponderosa sports.  should have it in a month or two. (tax returns at the latest!)  but i've got plenty of other toys i can bring along to play with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Shortmag, bring your other toys and come on out on the 28th. Half the time we usually spend shooting pistols, and we've been known to go at it with shotguns to. I agree with what Ar10er said the last time out. If I've brought it, and I'm not shooting it, your free to!!

So don't let not having an AR stop you.

We meet at 10 am at the Shell station across from Dennis Dillon on Orchard.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll have to see what's going on on the 28th.  with us moving by month's end it may not be fiesable.  We still have to move the rest of the stuff out of my Great-grandparents house before we can move our stuff in.  and they have a lot of stuff.  

But the G/F has benn bugging me to go shooting so we'll see how it goes.  I should know more in a few days.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I can relate to moving into your grandparent's house.  My wife and I did the same thing.  My grandmother still comes over (10 years now) and thinks we should change things back more like how she did.  *sigh*.  I still find stuff in our garage that belonged to my grandparents, that they didn't want.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome Shortmag...do you have one?

Just figuring out the macro setting.
55gr. 223 Federal AE next to 180gr. accubond 300WSM

Do I read it right that Shortmags GF wants to go shooting?   I was going to buy a P22/can for my wife but I don't think she'd handle much more than that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The way thinks are going, I may let you have that Gold Cup for $750.00.  That's if you are intrested.

It shot nice for sure (even if I cant) but its not quite what I was looking for.  Thanks for the thought though.

Hopefully things will be looking up for you soon, do you get a raise with the new job (moving inside--C/R)?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome aboard Shortmag!  If you cant make it on the 28th, dont worry, we seem to get together about every three weeks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a post whore!

Check this out, maybe you read it, maybe you didnt, but it kinda pissed me off.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=37&t=220089&page=1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Welcome Shortmag...do you have one?

Sure do!
Weatherby Vanguard SS/Syn .300WSM wearing a Sightron 3-9x40 Mil-dot.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Glockman429/IM000428.jpg
that's my reloading bench i built a few months ago.  i don't have everything to actually start yet but i buy supplies whenever i can afford them.  should be going before too long i hope.

Quoted:
Do I read it right that Shortmags GF wants to go shooting? I was going to buy a P22/can for my wife  but I don't think she'd handle much more than that.

you read right!  she loves shooting. i bought her a 10/22 for her birthday a couple years ago and she's been hooked ever since.  she shoots everything i have except my 300WSM.  even my 12ga.!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
There's a gun show this weekend at the fair grounds. Don't know if I really want anything. I might pick up a few AR mags. Hopefully that book dealer with show!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do I read it right that Shortmags GF wants to go shooting? I was going to buy a P22/can for my wife  but I don't think she'd handle much more than that.

you read right!  she loves shooting. i bought her a 10/22 for her birthday a couple years ago and she's been hooked ever since.  she shoots everything i have except my 300WSM.  even my 12ga.!

You guys are lucky. I've gotten my wife out shooting one time in 18 years of marriage. She hates guns. Oh, well. Other than that she's pretty spiffy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There's a gun show this weekend at the fair grounds. Don't know if I really want anything. I might pick up a few AR mags. Hopefully that book dealer with show!!

Man, you will just walk around his table, thinking about how much you want this book, then that book, and then, you will look at the prices and bitch and moan.  Then, when I get back from Idaho Falls, you will just complain incessently about the book prices.  

Of course... if the book guy DOESN'T show... I will just hear about that.  *sigh* I am in a no-win situation.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You guys are lucky. I've gotten my wife out shooting one time in 18 years of marriage. She hates guns. Oh, well. Other than that she's pretty spiffy.

My wife USED to shoot, but she isn't interested in it, anymore.  She liked the .22s quite a bit, and didn't mind 9mm or my .32 too much.  Actually, she DID come out shooting once with Spiff and I.   I really wish she would come out more.  She has a CCW, but doesn't practice with my pistols.  I will take my 9mm to Idaho Falls.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#23]
we'll probably hit the gun show this weekend.  the last time i was there i got some good deals on some 300WSM ammo and i bought a "colt" 20rd mag for my AR.  although i don't think it is actually a colt mag.  the finish sux and there is no markings on it at all.  I'm hopin it'll still work though.  we'll see when i get the AR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
we'll probably hit the gun show this weekend.  the last time i was there i got some good deals on some 300WSM ammo and i bought a "colt" 20rd mag for my AR.  although i don't think it is actually a colt mag.  the finish sux and there is no markings on it at all.  I'm hopin it'll still work though.  we'll see when i get the AR.

Buy your mags from the DPMS guy. He always has either authentic Colt or USGI. Actually, now that I think about it, I might just have to get me a lower receiver and parts kit. If I'm actually going to build my early AR I'm probably going to have to settle for a newer receiver. SP1's are hard to find.

And don't listen to Ryfter, I buy books from that dealer all the time. I did balk at what he wanted for The Black Rifle and The Black Rifle II though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet bench.

I'm gonna guess Glock 23?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#26]
How muddy was it off the road at the top of the hill this time (that little turn-around by the low berm)?  I just traded in my sedan for a little sports car, and it's most definitely not an off-roader.  

It cut the shooting budget a little, but Honda made a convincing argument with:
9000rpm redline, 240HP from a 2.2 liter engine, 0-60 around 5 1/2 seconds, minor change in out-of-pocket costs from the sedan.  I was considering an SUV, but this was just too fun.

Looks like sleepdr will be doing the caravan thing for a while, and thanking you all in advance for rides to the shooting pit.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#27]
What Honda did you get?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
2003 S2000
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool, well most of us never have any passengers so the shuttle from the pavement to the dirt shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How muddy was it ...

It was quite the mud bog.  You can just make out the wash in the background (normally dry), they were full of water.  The reservoir had grown quite a bit and was spreading east.

We met the driver of that brown ford while driving down from the road IIRC "ED" (not him in pict.)

I wouldn't ask him for a ride
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Sweet bench.

I'm gonna guess Glock 23?

nope Glock 19.  and that bench only cost me about $25 to make.  I had everything but the 2x4s and the screws. coulda done it cheaper but i bought the good 2x4s.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I was gonna guess

But I couldn't see the bore.

Wow, you have a 300wsm and a G19.  We should get along fine.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#33]
And here's my supershadow 300wsm

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys, so when/where is the next group shoot?  I'd love to get out and meet some of you guys and make some new shooting buddies in Boise.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey guys, so when/where is the next group shoot?  I'd love to get out and meet some of you guys and make some new shooting buddies in Boise.

Looks like we'll be getting together on the 28th of this month.  We meet at the Shell station on Orchard street, right across the road from Dennis Dillion.  From there we go out to Blacks Creek, find a good spot and blast away.

ETA:  Welcome to Idaho.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#36]
hey how do you like that hogue grip on your 19?

i see it's a gen 3 just like mine and i was thinking about slipping one over mine but wasn't  sure how it was gonna work with the finger grooves already on my frame.  i was thinking they might  make it kind of overkill.

I like the feel of the hogues. my dad's got one on his S&W sigma 9mm and i really like it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I broke my handguards!!!  There I was, doing a super clean on my middy when I tried to get the handguards off.  I couldnt do it by hand, so I got out the handguard tool.  It was still tougher than shit to get them off, then I hear a "SNAP!"  I looked at the HG's where they fit under the front triangle and they were melted!  I couldnt get the upper HG back on because there was too much material melted, it made it too fat to fit under there again.   The snap I heard was the top tab breaking.  Damnit!

Guess I'll have to buy a rail....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I broke my handguards!!!  There I was, doing a super clean on my middy when I tried to get the handguards off.  I couldnt do it by hand, so I got out the handguard tool.  It was still tougher than shit to get them off, then I hear a "SNAP!"  I looked at the HG's where they fit under the front triangle and they were melted!  I couldnt get the upper HG back on because there was too much material melted, it made it too fat to fit under there again.   The snap I heard was the top tab breaking.  Damnit!

Guess I'll have to buy a rail....

Did you get that rifle hot last time!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#39]
sounds like you need a dremel and some superglue.J/K that's really a bummer.  and those are kinda spendy to replace. at least with rails anyway aren't they?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, it got a bit hot

Plastic HG's arent too expensive ($25-$50, IIRC)  but the rails can be.

I just ordered the 2 piece (non FF, easy install) Midwest Industries rail for $150 along with some other good stuff from Bravo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yeah, it got a bit hot

Plastic HG's arent too expensive ($25-$50, IIRC)  but the rails can be.

I just ordered the 2 piece (non FF, easy install) Midwest Industries rail for $150 along with some other good stuff from Bravo.

Maybe for that much you should have bought a FF!! Then again, it's hard to say whether you'd see much improvement with a FF handguard at the ranges we shoot. But.....the thinner the barrel the more it vibrates, that wouldn't be much of a problem with my HBAR!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Eh, I figured the set up I have now I wouldnt be able to reap the full benifit of FF anyway, I just wanted something that A:wouldnt melt, B: could take a VG and light (something I've been wanting to do), and C: looks cool as hell.

Now, if I decide to do a more accurate build I'd probably go with an upper from Denny with the "in between" profile  I'd FF that and slap an ACOG on there too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Jeez, yesterday I was wondering if everyone left town...not a chirp and then today a bunch of chatty-kathys.

That sucks jollyroger, what type/brand of HGs.  I've noticed some charcoaling/flakiness on the front end of my colts (round front retainer btw) that I think are a different material than the plastics ones that probably melt/deform.

The Hogue handall has interior depressions for the finger grooves, so they fit perfect.   $10 at Boise Gun.  I love the feel but can't say it improves my shooting.  The upper groove/triggerguard area bugged Ryfter as it is a little tight if you have a thick middle finger.  I hadn't noticed it untill Ryfter pointed it out (thanks ryfter)

They are not allowed in IPSC production class.  The rules I saw states tape OK no rubber sleves.  WTF?  I want to try some adjustable Meprolights so I'll just have to compete with the guys in modified   I know, I know spiff......My ass/ platter

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey guys.  Just moved out to Boise a couple of months ago.  I would love some info on when you guys go shooting and hopefully tag along.  I unfortunately don't have a lot in the way of hardware right now and that six month residency rule is keeping me from changing that.  But I do have Browning HP and a willingness to chip in for ammo if people are nice enough to let me play with their toys.  Cheers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hey guys.  Just moved out to Boise a couple of months ago.  I would love some info on when you guys go shooting and hopefully tag along.  I unfortunately don't have a lot in the way of hardware right now and that six month residency rule is keeping me from changing that.  But I do have Browning HP and a willingness to chip in for ammo if people are nice enough to let me play with their toys.  Cheers.

Next shoot is the 28th. We meet at 10 am at the Shell station across from Dennis Dillon on Orchard street. You are certainly welcome.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Jeez, yesterday I was wondering if everyone left town...not a chirp and then today a bunch of chatty-kathys.

Yesterday I had to prepare for, and install a major system upgrade (the install came last night). Damn I hate it when I actually have to work......at work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#47]
This is the spot.

HennyBogan, I'd like to welcome you to ARFCOM and Boise.  I'd rather see you come to shoot & hang (with little to none) cause, damn at least you're getting out & about.  Better than some others that post and never show.....Keebsley???

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks!  Count me in, sounds like a ton of fun.  Its been WAY too long since I've had a chance to go out shootin'.  Can't wait to get back into it.  In your opinion, what would be a sufficient amount of ammo to bring?  How long are you guys usually out there?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#49]
We were out till 5 or so.  It ran long cause we pulled a stuck 4x4 out first thing.  (Bring your most swamp-worthy vehicle)

Bring what you want of:

300WSM (hehe)
7.62x39
9mm
12gauge ...if we remember to bring 'em
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Cool.  Looks like you guys have a lot of fun.  I guess I'll go shopping and do a little damage to the old credit card.  Any suggestions on places with good prices on ammo?  Also, anybody giving rides?  My little rear-wheel two door could barely deal with the small amount of snow we got in December.  (damn I need to start driving a truck again)  I'd hate to have to deal with the stuff in the above picture.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top