Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 1:03:59 PM EDT
Anyone here have a bohica 50 BMG? I believe that will be my next fun purchase and I was curious if anyone around here has one.

On a side note, anyone know of a range around atl that allows .50 BMG?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on finding a range that will allow a 50. 50 cal front stuffers are no problems 50 cal centerfire are a complete different animal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get a piece of property more than 75 yards from any road and have at it! I want one really bad

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Good luck on finding a range that will allow a 50. 50 cal front stuffers are no problems 50 cal centerfire are a complete different animal.

creekside doesn't allow 50 bmg?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Joe may allow them.  I know he did at one point, nut I wouldn't blame him a bit for not allowing them given what is on the other side of the berm.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

creekside doesn't allow 50 bmg?

Sign on the range hut wall says no 50bmg
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
get a file and carefully scrap the "g" off your brass...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get a file and carefully scrap the "g" off your brass...

hahahaha, i will just tell people I got a .22lr conversion for my M107...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#8]
50BMG is not allowed most places due to its high ricochet factor and it tears up equipment.  50BMG is one of the few projectiles that can do a 180 and come right back at the shooter.

The reason that Creekside is no 50's is because of insurance reasons.  There was a guy out west somewhere that shot a rock, the bullet came back and hit him ... the insurance company then said .... well 50's are nice and all but we cant insure somewhere that allows their use for liability reasons.  So thats the scoop on why no 50's allowed.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

50BMG is not allowed most places due to its high ricochet factor and it tears up equipment.  50BMG is one of the few projectiles that can do a 180 and come right back at the shooter.

The reason that Creekside is no 50's is because of insurance reasons.  There was a guy out west somewhere that shot a rock, the bullet came back and hit him ... the insurance company then said .... well 50's are nice and all but we cant insure somewhere that allows their use for liability reasons.  So thats the scoop on why no 50's allowed.

interesting.  I remember about 2 years ago at the ARF shoot when LarryG (i believe) brought his AR50 and we were shooting it out there.  Guess things have changed.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

interesting.  I remember about 2 years ago at the ARF shoot when LarryG (i believe) brought his AR50 and we were shooting it out there.  Guess things have changed.

yessir, was about 6 months or so after that is when the Insurance company pulled the plug.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yessir, was about 6 months or so after that is when the Insurance company pulled the plug.

You mean the government...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

no I mean the insurance company, had I meant the government I would have said that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
mabye it was the school board that pulled the plug
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no I mean the insurance company, had I meant the government I would have said that.

No you mean the government. Insurance companies are not out there trying to close shooting ranges. If they didn't want to insure they'd get out of the business entirely. A single incident of dubious credibility, (all i can find online is a video where the guy get up and walks around complaining) is no reason for a ban. Just have a liability waiver. If you shoot 50bmg you waive all liability towards the range and accept strict liability conditions for any resulting damage. That would cease the ins. co. responsibility in it's entirety. No, somethign else is going on here. Ins. Co. are regulated by Congress and I'm betting there is pressure placed to eliminate 50 cals even in states where the right of free peoples is well established.

Why is 50bmg more likely to do a 180 than any other round? How many U.S. Mil snipers have been hit in the head with 50 bmg ricochets? Why is there no links online to any deaths caused by 50 bmg?

I'm willing to buy that the Ins Co told you to stop, but I will not believe it is because of actual cost/risk analysis.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The reason that Creekside is no 50's is because of insurance reasons.  There was a guy out west somewhere that shot a rock, the bullet came back and hit him ..

Yep Yep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhgC4wF7MU

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#16]
video evidence of the first ever ricochet in firearms history, i think we should all be really concerned...... mabye 50 bmg is a liberal idea so every conservative will kill themselves? mabye?

relax people, what does it matter who is responsible for it and who cares, if you are so afraid of ricochet stick to airsoft...

well if there are no ranges i guess i have to hump it to the farm and take 1000 yard shots at old toilets
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

well if there are no ranges i guess i have to hump it to the farm and take 1000 yard shots at old toilets

The more people don't want me to have one, the more I want one. Get it and 250 rounds of ammo and stay safe my friend! Do you know if they discount for multiple purchases? AIM usually give $3% off if you buy 2 or more...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
video evidence of the first ever ricochet in firearms history, i think we should all be really concerned...... mabye 50 bmg is a liberal idea so every conservative will kill themselves? mabye?

relax people, what does it matter who is responsible for it and who cares, if you are so afraid of ricochet stick to airsoft...

You havent been to Creekside before have you?

Why would you want to shoot a 50 at 100 yards anyhow?

A toilet seems like a rather large target and a hell of a mess to clean up afterwards.  I would think that you would want to shoot steel since it would give reaction and be useful for more than one round.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A toilet seems like a rather large target and a hell of a mess to clean up afterwards.  I would think that you would want to shoot steel since it would give reaction and be useful for more than one round.

Exploding toilets are really cool out. They are the clay pigeons of the 50 bmg world. Now if they'd only disintegrate in the rain. As for shooting the 50 at 100, well it's about just the enjoyment of being able to shoot it. Why do people shoot 1911's at 10 yards or .223 at 100? They are both capable of so much more. Personally, I see these things going the way of the dodo. I'm never gonna lay down the cash for a Barrett semi, and I'd like to own one before I die.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exploding toilets are really cool out. They are the clay pigeons of the 50 bmg world. Now if they'd only disintegrate in the rain. As for shooting the 50 at 100, well it's about just the enjoyment of being able to shoot it. Why do people shoot 1911's at 10 yards or .223 at 100? They are both capable of so much more. Personally, I see these things going the way of the dodo. I'm never gonna lay down the cash for a Barrett semi, and I'd like to own one before I die.

well that was easy for me... exactly what he said. As you know we can shoot well past 100 at creekside mister, and its mostly just to shoot it without having to drive to my farm. And as far as toilets go, those are fun as shit to shoot, and since its my farm, i have plenty of places I can pile up debris to shoot, its my farm, i dont care if there is a pile of crap laying there (literally and figuratively). Yes i will prob shoot steel to, and an old model A and whatever the hell else I want to shoot because i can... Mabye if everyone isnt toooooo scared of 50 ricochet we can all throw in 20 bucks and i will drag an old car into a field that has the season in rotation and we can blow it to hell...

edit––- i am a member at creekside, so yes, i have been there...
and this thread isnt about creekside anyways....

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]

IF you're .mil you can possibly utilize one of the many bases in the state.  I think that the one up in Savannah will let people shoot at the 1000m or yard range. (sorry, not sure if they messure it in Meters or Yards).  It would probably be more trouble than it is worth though trying to get a firearm on base. It's kind of a pain to register your firearm at Kings Bay so you can hunt the base. Good luck.  I wish I had a .50.  I had the cash years ago to do it, only reason I didn't is because I had no where to shoot it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#22]
South River Gun Club used to allow them.  That was several years ago though.

John
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
IF you're .mil you can possibly utilize one of the many bases in the state.  I think that the one up in Savannah will let people shoot at the 1000m or yard range. (sorry, not sure if they messure it in Meters or Yards).  It would probably be more trouble than it is worth though trying to get a firearm on base. It's kind of a pain to register your firearm at Kings Bay so you can hunt the base. Good luck.  I wish I had a .50.  I had the cash years ago to do it, only reason I didn't is because I had no where to shoot it.

It has always been a pain to get pretty much  anything on base or off for that matter.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has always been a pain to get pretty much  anything on base or off for that matter.

Apparently it's not THAT hard to get a loaded gun or three on base...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently it's not THAT hard to get a loaded gun or three on base...

And THAT is fucked up even from you Doug.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top