Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:06:48 PM EDT
Well, after living in FL for a decade, I've finally gotten the bug to hunt again so this past weekend I finally got a fresh/salt/hunt license. I figured the first thing I would like to hunt would be a boar, so I start reading the rules & regs, only to learn that hog season doesn't start 'til November.

Big diff between WI and FL when it comes to deer season, in WI a hunter could only get one buck and a possible second deer (doe) if you got a special tag. In FL you can get FOUR deer!!! Damn, I could fill a freezer with that much venison!

Anyway, I haven't gone hunting or fishing, literally, since 1989 when I lived in WI. No, that's not a typo, I said 1989! (yeah, yeah, I know... turn in the man card!)

Anyway, back to hunting - - anybody have any suggestions on boar season? Where to hunt, what rifle I'll most likely need, etc. Thanks.

Fire That Bad-Boy UP!!!

eta- I didn't know hunting on private land was a year 'round option.

eta- Thanks, again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
privy land hogs are free game all  year long!!!!  also hogs last i rmeber are  considerd small game in some places  and small game isnt over till  late  feb/march.. been awhile since i mess'd with WMA's but  its what i recall.

as to where to hunt,, well you gotta  do some scouting... parts of ocala natl forrest  hold some huge hogs as do  place snorth near palatka ect.  theres  few wmas up that way,  lake george WMA has  some relaly big ones also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
. In FL you can get FOUR deer!!! Damn, I could fill a freezer with that much venison!

You should really see a Florida deer before making that statement. They are not much bigger then a wild dog

Little bit o difference between the deer up north and the "deer" down here
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. In FL you can get FOUR deer!!! Damn, I could fill a freezer with that much venison!

You should really see a Florida deer before making that statement. They are not much bigger then a wild dog

Little bit o difference between the deer up north and the "deer" down here

yea funny how different diets make such a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyway, back to hunting - - anybody have any suggestions on boar season? Where to hunt, what rifle I'll most likely need, etc. Thanks.

Any good centerfire rifle will work, but I'd stay away from the .22's (Yes, I know a lot of hogs are killed with .223, but I've killed hogs that have had a half dozen .22 bullets in'em)

Most hog hunting is done in heavy brush, so a quick handling carbine would be ideal. My two favorite hog guns are my AR15 in .50 Beowulf and a Savage M24V in .30-30 over 20 gauge.

Check the FWC website for the WMA's in your area. Some still offer hog hunting until March. If you know of any private land, go any time.

By the way- you can take 2 deer per day in Florida.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
JW Corbett WMA in Palm Beach doesn't allow centerfire rifles with more than 5 round mags.  Be sure to read the rules, there are some other oddities at these places.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Hog hunting is a blast,

great for off season hunts after deer/bird/Turkey season is over.  I've killed them with 17HMR up through .308 & bows.  My taxidermist likes to shoot them with 223 in the head, just makes a small repairable hole & no tracking.  Private land is all year long, property owners will even let you hunt on thier property to keep the beast from eating up thier gardens.  I've heard that the Fish & Game folks are thinking abt setting up land owners who have hog problems with hunters to help bth sides out, but can't find the link, maybe it's just theory right now.

Hog is tasty, I usually smoke for 4 hrs then put in the crock pot all night to tenderize.  Then I seperate into meal size zip locs for the freezer & enjoy for months.

I saw 6-8 on the side of I-75 coming back to Tampa from the Ft. Myers show on Sunday.  They are all over the place down there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.outwestfarms.com/index.html

?????????????????
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.outwestfarms.com/index.html

?????????????????

Thanks for the link. I have a couple of friends that will be visiting from MI in April and we've talked about something to do and have narrowed it down to hog hunting on private land, or chartering a fishing boat and hitting the gulf. I think we'll go hunting!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
couple places I've heard about but not tried personally, trying to change that though href=www.ronsguideservice.com/index.htm

www.huntsflorida.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top