Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 1:22:28 PM EDT
Rumor has it that Dave Lyman at Blue Trail Range has been arrested because he sold an "AR type" firearm in pre-ban configuration.

I can't find the other thread, but I wrote about the fact that I saw a Bushy 20'' in no-ban configuration.  I warned the guy at the counter but got blown off.

Have any CT folks heard any news?  This is the first I've ever heard of anyone actually getting busted on CT AWB charges... I'm sure its not the first anyone has been charged I just haven't heard of it.

-  BG    
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
where did you hear this? and when did it happen?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Heard it from my father.  A family friend works for a gun company in CT... they were apparently consulted as to a good gun lawyer.  I heard this all two days ago.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If there were any questions regarding the legality, all they had to do was make an inquiry through ATF right?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If there were any questions regarding the legality, all they had to do was make an inquiry through ATF right?

Nope, State Law, nothing to do with Feds.  The ATF does not interprit State Laws.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure the person who bought it WASN'T a member here!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]

I can't find the other thread, but I wrote about the fact that I saw a Bushy 20'' in no-ban configuration. I warned the guy at the counter but got blown off.

I can confirm that because I saw the same exact rifle, and had the same experience when i told him that wasnt a legal CT gun, he told me Oh yes it is its only Colt guns you cant have it CT!! I thought about buying it, but thought it wasnt worth the trouble.

I havent heard anything about him geting busted, but who knows, how many other people other than just you and I saw it, or read it online!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a guy personally that bought a gun from him.. It was said to be a new old stock Bushmaster.. My friend uses that range alot and new the guy well.. He asked him several times if it was legit, and he was told, I would never do that.... When it all came to light the police contacted my friend who does alot of work with CT police forces, asked him his story, took the weapon and pretty much said he was all set.. Not sure if he got his money back..

But yes it is true..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know a guy personally that bought a gun from him.. It was said to be a new old stock Bushmaster.. My friend uses that range alot and new the guy well.. He asked him several times if it was legit, and he was told, I would never do that.... When it all came to light the police contacted my friend who does alot of work with CT police forces, asked him his story, took the weapon and pretty much said he was all set.. Not sure if he got his money back..

But yes it is true..

Keep us updated if you can.  I only get a slow stream of information from this family friend.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Nope, State Law, nothing to do with Feds. The ATF does not interprit State Laws

Although they don't interpret State Law, couldn't they refer some other agency that knows?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any specifics on the brand of rifle he sold? Was it a mikstake on the polices behalf or on the owners?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you have any specifics on the brand of rifle he sold? Was it a mikstake on the polices behalf or on the owners?

The one I know of was a bushmaster..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Was it a "newer 94->current year"  Bushmaster with Preban Features or a Preban Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Was it a "newer 94->current year" Bushmaster with Preban Features or a Preban Bushmaster?

It was a postban bushmaster 20".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Was it a "newer 94->current year" Bushmaster with Preban Features or a Preban Bushmaster?

It was a postban bushmaster 20".

Bingo.  Lug and threads/A2 hider.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I live about a mile from Blue Trails and stop in thier range shop at least once a week. I handled that rifle that is in question and the serial number  was well into 6 digits, well past the cutoff for Bushmaster lowers as far as date of manufacture goes according to our state AWB. It did in fact have bayo lug and flash hider. If I am not mistaken I think they also have have a .308 AR with the evil features sitting in thier rack. One of the guys I work with used to work at thier range store as a part time gig and I will find out if he has heard anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I live about a mile from Blue Trails and stop in thier range shop at least once a week. I handled that rifle that is in question and the serial number  was well into 6 digits, well past the cutoff for Bushmaster lowers as far as date of manufacture goes according to our state AWB. It did in fact have bayo lug and flash hider. If I am not mistaken I think they also have have a .308 AR with the evil features sitting in thier rack. One of the guys I work with used to work at thier range store as a part time gig and I will find out if he has heard anything.

I remember that one too. I mailed you the link to Bushmaster showing it was a Newer rifle.
Have to ask around a few sources and see what I hear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I hadn't heard any of this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Update.

I was chatting with a black-rifle friendly gunshop/gunsmith and got some more dirt.

This is, of course, is only based on word-of-mouth but I'm hearing that there may be 10 felony charges against Blue Trail (Dave Lyman in particular?) that are CT AWB related.

It does NOT look good given that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.  He is in some hot water.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:08:13 AM EDT
[#19]
That's just f-ing great..... It's nice to see how well we're protected  from the evils of  "assault weapons"  I feel Soooooo much safer now...

ALERT- ALERT-ALER T send the SWAT team  - a bayonet lug was reportedly seen hanging of f the bottom of a AR clone barrel. It's a threat to society! Oh, the horror of it all!

What's that? A drug gang in Hartford? No can do. Can't respond - we're too busy enforcing the "Assault Weapons" Law. Soon adult males will be required to register johnsons

Next week they might  just come out and say anything that goes "bang" is an AK type
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That's just f-ing great..... It's nice to see how well we're protected  from the evils of  "assault weapons"  I feel Soooooo much safer now...

ALERT- ALERT-ALER T send the SWAT team  - a bayonet lug was reportedly seen hanging of f the bottom of a AR clone barrel. It's a threat to society! Oh, the horror of it all!

What's that? A drug gang in Hartford? No can do. Can't respond - we're too busy enforcing the "Assault Weapons" Law. Soon adult males will be required to register johnsons

Next week they might  just come out and say anything that goes "bang" is an AK type

This whole thing is crazy...makes me sick when I think about our laws. When was the last time some one was killed in a "drive by bayoneting"?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Jonemtp: Hope you join us on the 18th at the Lyceum Center in Hartford!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
These laws are ghey!

What a waste of time/money!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
rag - hope you join us at the Lyceum Center on the 18th!!! It's time to look these  antis in the eye and tell them to go back to the rock they crawled out from under
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]
How has everyone else's experience been at blue trails? For now I'll just say that I went there once and never will go back. I'm still looking for a range in CT to shoot at, I haven't shot anything since my M240B off of my sections LMTV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
pagan - Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I honestly don't think that it was the fact they had the rifle(s) that may have started this.  I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for dealers in CT to have "evil" firearms in their shops.  They cannot sell them to a CT resident though, they must be sold to someone that lives in a state that it is legal for them to own.  I myself have seen the Bushy in question up there, and also seen many "Pre-" and "No-" ban AR's in many other shops while visiting family in CT.  I can't wait to hear what exactly this is all about because the only thing that would make sense is that they sold rifles to CT residents that they shouldn't have and got caught.  Definitely sucks though, I love shooting at that range...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I honestly don't think that it was the fact they had the rifle(s) that may have started this.  I'm pretty sure it's not illegal for dealers in CT to have "evil" firearms in their shops.  They cannot sell them to a CT resident though, they must be sold to someone that lives in a state that it is legal for them to own.  I myself have seen the Bushy in question up there, and also seen many "Pre-" and "No-" ban AR's in many other shops while visiting family in CT.  I can't wait to hear what exactly this is all about because the only thing that would make sense is that they sold rifles to CT residents that they shouldn't have and got caught.  Definitely sucks though, I love shooting at that range...

Im sure it wasnt the fact that they had them like you said, but that they did sell them in CT. I know when I went in the guy was telling me how it is legal to sell it it CT because its not a Colt, he would've sold it to me the day that I was there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy shit. I too remember questioning the guy at the counter about it. I recall asking him if it wasn't illegal to have a new no-ban rifle for sale here.

Dave LYMAN? Ah, damn... I know that guy personally. This is horrible!

Does he have a legal defense fund? If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to pitch in to fight such a  bullshit law.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#29]
K-5 in Milford has a bunch of New AR's on his wall all in Pre-Ban Configuration. He sell them to out of staters.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe this will turn into a trial case dealing with how the laws are written in your state. After the laws were written and passed with out input from the people they will affect. Sometimes what is needed is someone to violate a law to have it changed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#31]
yeah...... sure , they'll change it to include post ban clones and add more guns and hi cap mags to the list, too.

That's what we were threatened with in 2002 when  we contested the "re-banning" of the "AK TYPES"
The state wouldn't even HEAR the case that was brought against them.

Basically we were told: "Live with it...or we'll ban everything else, too"  and ..........THEY HAVE THE VOTES.

How many of us will be in Hartford on Wed the 18th to make a showing against the communists?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#32]

That's what we were threatened with in 2002 when we contested the "re-banning" of the "AK TYPES"

Remember that.........................there were AK clones in 7.62x39 widely available until that Ahole decide to fight the state in returning his rifle. The state then reinterpreted to include "all" types, then another interpretation that limited it to the caliber.  

Can wait to see what's going to happen now with this case.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Does any one have any updated info regarding Dave Lyman?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#34]
is this place still open for business?

I was thinking of using this range to sight my AR15 in a few weeks.

later
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
K-5 in Milford has a bunch of New AR's on his wall all in Pre-Ban Configuration. He sell them to out of staters.

How does he sell them to out of staters? They have to be shipped right?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How does he sell them to out of staters? They have to be shipped right?

No, not always.

Long guns can be sold interstate via an FFL.  He also does a bit via internet sales.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#37]
How would they legaly transport them back to their home state? It's a long drive to the RI border (the only adjoining state without a Ban). I't hate to get stopped or in a wreck on the way home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Same way I can drive to New Hampshire with my pistol, through Mass where I do not have a permit to carry. As long as I am just passing through with my pistol and not staying in Mass, I have been told I should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I dunno if that is correct.  I was always told that when going to S&W for IDPA, to not carry and to have the gun unloaded and seperated from the driver.  Going from say NH to CT, if you have permits in both states, I don't think you can carry while driving in Mass.  I would check the Mass law, and not rely on what someone told you.  Most states will let you pass with the gun unloaded and separated from you, but I dunno if they let you CCW the pistol while traveling.  Check on it to make sure, better safe than sorry!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Correct, you can not drive while carrying concealed through Mass without a out of state MA LTC, even if you have a NH LTC, it must be locked with mag and ammo all seperate and locked out of sight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I dunno if that is correct.  I was always told that when going to S&W for IDPA, to not carry and to have the gun unloaded and seperated from the driver.  Going from say NH to CT, if you have permits in both states, I don't think you can carry while driving in Mass.  I would check the Mass law, and not rely on what someone told you.  Most states will let you pass with the gun unloaded and separated from you, but I dunno if they let you CCW the pistol while traveling.  Check on it to make sure, better safe than sorry!

That is what I meant, sorry I did not make that clear. Pistol is unloaded and with a cable lock through the grip in a case, and unloaded magazines and ammo in a separate box. I am not carrying concealed in MA or anystate that I do not have a permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top