Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2004 9:36:52 AM EDT
Most everyone knows already that the Blue Angels are making their first appearance in ATL in 18 years when the urban sprawl got too much to have high performance jet demos over Cobb county. Anyway, they are coming May 8-9. Anyone up for a group meet. I still haven't been able to get out and meet any of the GA ARFcomers yet and would like to start making some friends within the gun community.

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, that Sunday is Mom's day.  But Saturday would be cool!  I haven't been to an air show in a LONG time.  My Dad used to take my brother and I every year when we were kids.

It looks like my calendar is open that day.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You're right, Sun 5/9 is Mother's Day so I'm planning on being there Sat 5/8. Wouldn't miss either one of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What time does the show start?  Where do you park?  The last time I went was probably 18 years ago.  

Any links to schedules or anything?  Do they still have military vehicles & stuff?
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw them two years ago in Augusta with my son. Great time and they also had a great exhibition with a F-15 and a P-51 flying together. What a blast! As an ex- Air Force crew chief on A-10’s, I'm biased to the T-birds, but seeing any fighter up close gets my blood stirring. I'll be there with my boy!

Angels over Atlanta!

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't been able to find an 'official' site or anything about other activities that day. This is from Scott Slade (of WSB radio) @ Scott Slade's Footnotes:

Naval Air Station Atlanta Airshow is May 8-9. Navy's Blue Angels Demonstration Team will perform. No ticket necessary; it's on a military base so they do not charge admission. Some airshow facts:

Parking: Lockheed-Martin lot at South Cobb Drive and Fairground Street. Shuttle buses will bring spectators to NAS-Atlanta (sharing the runways at Dobbins.)

Hours: Gates open 8:30 AM both days. Air show begins at 10:30 AM. Blue Angels fly at 3:00 PM. WSB Radio will carry the Blue Angels' soundtrack on Saturday 5/8 so you can listen and watch off site. Food and beverages available on site for a charge.

Prohibited: RV's, pets, backpacks, weapons, coolers, glass bottles.

Allowed: plastic water bottles; diaper bags; wallets and small purses (subject to search.)

More information: recorded announcement at 678-655-7036.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You know Im down for something like that.  I will ask off for sure!  Also I do not know if anyone would like to come but Lawrenceville Airport is having a wings weekend.  A lot of General Aviation and many old war birds.  ITs all free and you can just walk around.  I am working line there to make some extra money.  Got some projects in the fire so anything to get them done.  

Its just a thought and I do not know how cool it will be but it will be big!
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Donna and I were talking about the Blue Angels show this evening.  Good chance we'll be there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]
So, we want to meet up somewhere?
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Nevermind.  I've been informed (by the Mrs.) of a prior commitment we have (that I didn't even know about).  Funny how that happens when you're married.  I'll have to miss this one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nevermind.  I've been informed (by the Mrs.) of a prior commitment we have (that I didn't even know about).  Funny how that happens when you're married.  I'll have to miss this one.

Don't worry.  I'm sure someone will tell you how awesome it was...
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This seems to be a convenient excuse continual issue with you...hmmmmm.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I have missed a lot of neat events the past few months.  But things will calm down in the near future.  I'm hoping our plans will change so I can go to the air show.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2004 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I just turned down VIP passes for that show.

If I can still get them (no promises at this late a date) y'all would be welcome to them.

I'll post here if I can.

SG
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So, who is going and what day? I was very surprised that the Mrs. is excited about going. She usually could care less about this type of event.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Donna and I are going on Sunday.  Saturday is the classic British car show at Chateau Elan.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I am helping a buddy run Cat5 Saturday. If I can arrange going, it will be Sunday. It sounds like a fun time.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#17]
ill be hanging around the NAS Atlanta flying club tent, we need an ARFCOM secret phrase to identify eachother descretely
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ill be hanging around the NAS Atlanta flying club tent, we need an ARFCOM secret phrase to identify eachother descretely

You need an ARFcom hat, brother!! They are sooo sweet. Check the tacked threads.

Long time no see/hear! How you doin'?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My family and I will be there on Saturday.

Secret phrase is "If I tell you what it means, will you buy me a drink?"
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My family and I will be there on Saturday.

Secret phrase is "If I tell you what it means, will you buy me a drink?"

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't go, dut turns out Delta will have ship 102 (767 The Spirit of Delta) and possibly ship 41 (DC-3) up there.  I just saw them roll out 102 this morning and it looks pretty good in a retro paint job.  A lot better than our G.L.E.N. waving flag paint job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Will be there tomorrow morning. White T with American Flag "Many Have Died" - "If I tell you what it means, will you buy me a drink?"

UPDATE: I don't know if anyone else tried to go, but we were unable to get in the gate. Being I had my wife and 4 girls with me, I wasn't going to stand out in a parking lot or vacant lot for 6 hours to watch from a distance (the air shows are performed with the flight line as the central reference point and being anywhere other than along the flight line sux IMHO), we left. Tomorrow is Mother's Day, so I won't be able to try again tomorrow for the above mentioned reasons).

Damnit!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Will be there tomorrow morning. White T with American Flag "Many Have Died" - "If I tell you what it means, will you buy me a drink?"

UPDATE: I don't know if anyone else tried to go, but we were unable to get in the gate. Being I had my wife and 4 girls with me, I wasn't going to stand out in a parking lot or vacant lot for 6 hours to watch from a distance (the air shows are performed with the flight line as the central reference point and being anywhere other than along the flight line sux IMHO), we left. Tomorrow is Mother's Day, so I won't be able to try again tomorrow for the above mentioned reasons).

Damnit!

Anyone who would like to park at my office and watch from the end of the runway is welcome.

1700 Enterprise Way (AutoTrader)
Marietta

first light south of Pep Boys (Franklin and 41)

I took my kids to see the show and it was AWESOME!!! Sitting at the end of the runway was a very good place to be.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Anyone who would like to park at my office and watch from the end of the runway is welcome.

1700 Enterprise Way (AutoTrader)
Marietta

first light south of Pep Boys (Franklin and 41)

I took my kids to see the show and it was AWESOME!!! Sitting at the end of the runway was a very good place to be.

Chainsaw - very cool of you to offer. Had I known today, you would have had some company.

For anyone going tomorrow, just get there EARLY. Traffic on S Cobb Drive, Atlanta Rd, and every other street was horrible. I had a friend who left his house this morning at 0730 get turned away at the gates.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Are the girls flying with 5 or 6 jets?

Number three had to be replaced due to extended medical downtime, and they had been a five jet team since the season started in March. They finally downed him and asked an old timer to return for another tour with the team. (Three was a newbie)

Hope they're six for you guys,  makes the solos portion of the show much more entertaining.

Wish I could be there. I hate missing the team when they're close by, and it's fun annoying the hell out of the GA crew, too.

SG

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#26]
All 6 and worth the sunburn.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Well the parking lot was closed around 11 a.m., IIRC for the 3:30 show on Sunday. So no, I didn't make it.

However, my 5th floor office window on Delk Rd. faces the area and they were practicing since Thursday, so I saw the routine several dozen times. One even buzzed our building so I could make out some of the letters no problem.

Yes the 6th guy was obviously not on the ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top