Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 1:23:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean 5th and 6th of November, Saturday/Sunday?

I'd be up for the 5th or 6th.

That's the weekend after the Princeton gunshow so I'll have some ammo for my toys.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess that means I'll be babysitting you guys.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess that means I'll be babysitting you guys.  

More like we'll be babysitting you, ain't it?

Just don't sit on the ends or corners of anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's the weekend after the Princeton gunshow so I'll have some ammo for my toys.

WIZZO

Nov 5/6 sounds perfect for me, too.

Anyone interested in a short notice outing though, I'm going (again) this Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

Nov 5/6 sounds perfect for me, too.

Anyone interested in a short notice outing though, I'm going (again) this Sunday.

I might be down sunday, Now that I'm stuck working saturday afternoon, I'm debating between the three-gun in Polo or Buffalo.  Buffalo would be cheaper.

Cheaper, AND they'll let you shoot more than three guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#10]
ill be at buffalo on the 22nd or 23rd i think...

i just got an armalite m15-ar cb  that needs to be broken in

ahh my first ar-15 22 yrs ive been waitin for this...

my old man had 2 as i was growin up,but i havent been able to afford 1 till now

wife 3 kids 2 dogs big mortage and all that fun stuff lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Any Sunday after the 9th of October is good with me!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ahh my first ar-15 22 yrs ive been waitin for this...

Just got my frist AR as well trying to get to break it in too. mom lives about 45 mins from buffalo.
So next time I go out there on a monday I might have to take a detour still need to buy a bunch of stuff. Like an EO Tech a sling and some more mags. I only have one and its a plastic one that is so tight in the mag well it wount fall free by itself even with a full load of dummys in it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
How's about we call it the 6th of November.

It seems to fit everyone's schedule.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like fun. Count me in!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Nov. 6th is cool.  Looking forward to lots of pumpkins.  At least this time we can call a range break or two to put them all out there.  Need some long range practice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nov. 6th is cool.  Looking forward to lots of pumpkins.  At least this time we can call a range break or two to put them all out there.  Need some long range practice.

I want to run an idea by everyone for the Blastfest. Would anyone be interested in shooting some type of tactical rifle course of fire along with the normal activities. If enough interest can be generated I will run it by the owner and set something up. Maybe we can do shotgun also. Let me know your thoughts from those planning on attending.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to run an idea by everyone for the Blastfest. Would anyone be interested in shooting some type of tactical rifle course of fire along with the normal activities. If enough interest can be generated I will run it by the owner and set something up. Maybe we can do shotgun also. Let me know your thoughts from those planning on attending.

I might be interested, what did you have in mind?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I don't have a shotgun able to run anything like that, but I would love to really test out my new mid-length build.

Now I just gotta get some mag pouches.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be about thiry rounds of timed fire at IPSC targets spaced at different distances. I would figure a combination of time and target scoring to get a "hit factor" that would determine the order of finish.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Wizzo, I have an old Army 6 mag  LBV you can borrow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wizzo, I have an old Army 6 mag  LBV you can borrow.

To purchase mag pouches for this would be a waste of money Wizzo. You won't lose any time pulling them out of your pocket. You probably wouldn't even need to do a mag change.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, if it's just 30rds, and a mag change might not even be needed, I guess I don't need anything. I have an old 3 mag pouch, but I cut the webbing out of the inside so I can fit 2 M14 mags in sideways.

I'll just shove an extra mag in my pocket.

Thanks,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting...

Whats the course of fire?

Ever see this page:

www.actshooters.com/
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Pick a date already,  he heheh,   if I'm not gonna be pouring  ceeement , heck I'll come out and shoot too.

If the pit is kinda muddy or tacky  and you want to put targets down there,  WEAR THROW AWAY SHOES,   BTDT,    .    Gourds make cool targets if they dont get swollowed in the slop , if it's dry  should be ok.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#28]
We should definately do a tactical course (if it could be set up). Yes cheap pumpkins and nice and cool... won't burn my fingers on the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Brass-hog, The tactical thing sounds way cool! Would you do it any other day than balastfest? I doubt I'll be coming on a Sunday any time soon. A Saturday would be great. Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd just like to take a moment and tell Brass-hog thanks for getting himself a membership. Cody we will have to stop talking about Brass in the Team Forum.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Brass-hog, The tactical thing sounds way cool! Would you do it any other day than balastfest? I doubt I'll be coming on a Sunday any time soon. A Saturday would be great. Thanks, Andy

I have to run it by the owner. I won't go to the trouble if we don't get a few people commited to coming though. It is fun. This is what some people have expressed interest in trying besides just blasting in the pit. We need numbers!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in for something like that. Lets nail it down by the end of September so everyone has time to get guns or ammo they might need for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's a quick suggestion for a course of fire. I just worked it out quickly in my head, haven't put it on paper or diagrammed it yet, I'm assuming we could do this on the rifle range at Buffalo, it's really the only place that would work well for it.

Shooter to use handgun of suitable caliber to be used for self defense purposes (.38 spl or better for revolvers, 9mm or better for semi-autos with 15 rounds ammo.
Pump shotgun with a 5 round or better capacity, with 5 slugs.
Semi-auto, centerfire rifle w/ two mags, 30 rounds ammo, with no more than 20 rounds ammo in either mag

You start up w/ loaded/charged handgun in holster and 1 spare mag or 2 speedloaders/speedstrips with a total of exactly 15 rounds, along with ONE backup rifle mag, if desired. May use mag-cinch's if you like. Rifle is at the ready at pre-selected location along course of fire. Shotgun is on table at the starting position. It should be loaded but not charged.

At the command, "THREAT!" you:

Pick up and charge shotgun, and shoot 5 slugs from shotgun into short range targets (~7 yards),

Clear shotgun, open action have Range Master verify CLEAR.
Run to rifle table, and lay it down beside rifle.
Sling unloaded, empty rifle that has safety on (if it has one). Load magazine, charge.

From designated firing lines, shoot 5 rounds each at six separate targets at various ranges from

25-100 yards.
Shooter standing for 25 yds,
Stand or kneel for 50 & 75 yds,
stand/kneel or prone for 100yds
Clear rifle and confirm by showing range officer who verifies CLEAR, then let rifle hang via sling (OR HAND CARRY, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SLING ) and run a short distance to cover at the new firing line,

Engage 5 targets w/ pistol, each two to chest, one to head and must include one pistol mag change after the third target, with movement to a different firing line/position for each target. When finished, clear gun, lock slide back, and have Range Master verify CLEAR. When RM says CLEAR, timer stops.

Time the whole thing, then add penalty time:

Add 5 seconds to your time for every shot that is outside of scoring rings or off target (to be decided which-depending on target used). Optionally, we can intersperse "Innocents" or "Hostages" along with targets and penalize for shooting one.

Bonuses:
SUBTRACT from your time:
5 seconds for every target in which you shoot only 10-rings or bullseyes.

Edit: This would obviously involve a little cost to provide targets, maybe some carboard backers and sticky back circle targets or paper silhouettes of some sort. Depending on the cost, could have shooters chip in a few $ to cover target costs, or a little extra to be able to do cash prizes for 1/2/3?. Maybe we could get someone to donate some sort of prize?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in for the 6th and the tactical course.

Of course I am going to have to borrow my buddies shotgun seeing as I don't have one yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Giddy up. I'm game.

JR
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]
"Fire'ers scan your sector and watch your lanes," I am in for the 6th and the thingy. If you need assistance running the tactical course I am trained and a willing participant.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Here's a quick suggestion for a course of fire. I just worked it out quickly in my head, haven't put it on paper or diagrammed it yet, I'm assuming we could do this on the rifle range at Buffalo, it's really the only place that would work well for it.

(...)

Shooter to use handgun of suitable caliber to be used for self defense purposes (.38 spl or better for revolvers, 9mm or better for semi-autos with 15 rounds ammo.
Semi-auto, centerfire rifle w/ two mags, 30 rounds ammo, with no more than 20 rounds ammo in either mag

(...)

Engage 5 targets w/ pistol, each two to chest, one to head and must include one pistol mag change after the third target, with movement to a different firing line/position for each target. When finished, clear gun, lock slide back, and have Range Master verify CLEAR. When RM says CLEAR, timer stops.

Sounds good except that I would make the mandatory pistol mag change anytime after the 2nd target.  If you have a 7 or 8 or 9 round mag (like my sig 225 8 rd mag), you will not have enough rounds to complete 3 targets before changing mags.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks very interesting!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(...)

(...)

Sounds good except that I would make the mandatory pistol mag change anytime after the 2nd target.  If you have a 7 or 8 or 9 round mag (like my sig 225 8 rd mag), you will not have enough rounds to complete 3 targets before changing mags.

I've always been of the opinion you shoot til dry, then reload. Tac reloads are for breaks in the action.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#40]
npd233,

That sounds pretty good.

You make it sound like you wouldn't need a sling for the shotgun, right?

That would work. I also have a slug barrel for it as I bought the shotgun as a "hunter package" and it came with 2 barrels.

I'll have to practice a little with my pistol. Also gotta figure out how to keep an extra pistol mag handy.  They slip down into your pocket more than an AR mag.

BTW, what range would the pistol targets be at in your idea?

Thanks,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
npd233,

That sounds pretty good.

That would work. I also have a slug barrel for it as I bought the shotgun as a "hunter package" and it came with 2 barrels.

I'll have to practice a little with my pistol. Also gotta figure out how to keep an extra pistol mag handy.  They slip down into your pocket more than an AR mag.

Thanks,

WIZZO

probably wouldn't need a sling for it.

really wouldn't need a sling for ar, either, except you don't get the luxury of putting it down after shooting it. gotta carry it thru the pistol stages. pistol targets maybe anywhere from 7-15 yards or so..

the big problem with my course of fire is the number of targets that'd be needed. Might have to scale it down a little to work with what Buffalo Range has available, or make some portable ones but that'd be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

...... or make some portable ones but that'd be a pain in the ass.

Really! I mean, who would volunteer to hold them

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
npd233,

That sounds pretty good.

Thanks,

WIZZO

probably wouldn't need a sling for it.

really wouldn't need a sling for ar, either, except you don't get the luxury of putting it down after shooting it. gotta carry it thru the pistol stages. pistol targets maybe anywhere from 7-15 yards or so..

the big problem with my course of fire is the number of targets that'd be needed. Might have to scale it down a little to work with what Buffalo Range has available, or make some portable ones but that'd be a pain in the ass.

If evey participant volunteer to build one it wouldn't be a problem.  Just come up with a uniform design/plan for it and make it out of 2x2 or 2x4's.  or anyone that makes one gets to shoot in the competition for 1/4 price and gets to keep the stand when finished (whatever is left of it after getting shot up.)

eta:
something like
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I have plenty of pistol targets. We will use the USPSA target like the one in my bio pic. We will be using the bench range. I will make the course 30 rounds. No steel targets. Any slings will have to be wraqpped after the start signal. Any holsters with retention will have to be snapped but a retention holster is not required. I will post  a diagrma of the course of fire after I work out what I can fit on the range. Best two hits on paper targets will be scored.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be up for it. I'll probablly have to play Range Officer which is now big deal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#47]
This would be my first trip to buffalo, or any outdoor/rifle range for that matter.  can anyone give me a few pointers on what to expect.  is there anything i need to know about shooters etiquette, so i dont feel like a total tool.

what should i bring(other then the obvious), what does it cost, what can we bring to shootup?  will we be able to retreive them at some point.  What time does it all start on nov 6th.  thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This would be my first trip to buffalo, or any outdoor/rifle range for that matter.  can anyone give me a few pointers on what to expect.  is there anything i need to know about shooters etiquette, so i dont feel like a total tool.

what should i bring(other then the obvious), what does it cost, what can we bring to shootup?  will we be able to retreive them at some point.  What time does it all start on nov 6th.  thanks

pdynak,
The cost is $20 for all day. Shoot down into the "plinking pit" if you like. There is no glass, metal, paint or exploding targets i.e. Tannerite allowed at the range. Here is a link to the there web site with more information.
Buffalo Range

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#50]
5 slugs won't fit in my 870 unless I can start with one in the chamber.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top