Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 4:07:14 PM EST
Blackwell Industries

Does anyone here have any information to share regarding these guys?

Experiences good, bad or indifferent?

Examples of their work, how do they compare to other local gunsmiths?

How do their prices/charges stack up by comparison?

Thanks!

ETA...it's E-beer Friday, have one on me!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:02:59 AM EST
I bought a Polish underfolder from him and it was a nice rifle that was built on a DCI receiver and it came with a one year warranty. After getting it home I noticed a slight fitment issue with the top cover and when I showed it to him he took care of the issue with no problems or complaints. I’d do business with him again for sure.

As far as prices go, you could probably find someone cheaper but in this case I believe you get what you pay for and he delivers a nice product. I haven’t dealt with any other local builders so I can’t give a comparison really. Blackwell has a good reputation though so I went there first.

He does the local WAC shows so you can check out his stuff in person if he’s brought some built rifles along. He doesn’t have a big sign on his table so just be on the lookout for the guy with a bunch of parts and AK receivers. He also usually has about a dozen or so pistols and stuff for sale.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:31:57 AM EST
Ive known Eric for a few years. He's a standup guy and builds quality rifles, he was just getting into building AKs when I left WA but he had a reputation for decent FALs and quality refinishing at that time. He posts over on Falfiles.com ,not sure if he's on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:01:06 AM EST
They suck and I will never deal with them again.

I dropped off my PTR91 with blackwell at a Monroe gunshow to have the barrel threaded so I could install a Phantom flash hider.
I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks and it would cost $260.

I called them 4 weeks later to see what was going on with the rifle and I was told that there was a problem.

Their gunsmith had upped his price to $310 because he was going to have to basicly "build a PTR" in order to thread the barrel, and that "someone" should have contacted me.

This did not make me too happy, but I figured that Blackwell had already had my PTR91 for 4 weeks, so I would be getting my rifle back in two weeks (4-6 weeks), so I was willing to pay the extra $50 to get it done.

When I asked when it would be done I was told that it would be finished in 6-8 weeks.

Now motherfucking hell, I gave them my business based on what my fellow WA Hometown Forum buddies told me about blackwell, but fuck me, for them not to uphold their fucking WORD about finishing my rifle in "4-6 weeks" and then for them to tell me it would be an additional "6-8 weeks" because THEY FUCKING DROPPED THE BALL is complete fucking horse shit.

They didn't have the fucking integrity to stand behind their word (A mans word is his bond) and "make it right" by getting my barrel threaded within the originally promised time frame after THEY dropped the ball says volumes about their position and commitment on and to customer service.

When I called blackwell on this I was given the typical weasel response "We don't need your money".

Fuck'em, I called around and found that Derek at Arizona Expert Arms would thread my barrel, recrown it and send it back for $161 and it would be done in 2 days was good enough for me.

And you know what? Derek and AZX kept their word with no bullshit.
If I need any gunsmithing done they get my business.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:36:37 PM EST
KA3B, just wondering who you'd talked too as there used to be 3 partners and they're down to 2. I dont know the details but was told the former partner was making problems for the company rather then money.
Top Top