Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/6/2003 2:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 5:01:17 PM EDT by Griz]
I was wondering if anyone here uses the range in the Jefferson National Forest near Blacksburg.

A buddy and I were up there a few weeks ago and put about 1000 rounds down range, we came back the next day and noticed that all of our spent brass was gone. I made some reloader's day
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:39:40 PM EDT
I assume you mean National Forest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:58:45 PM EDT
I shot there many times while I was a student at Tech. The range is pretty good, and most of the people that were there were easy to get along with. Only problem was they would run out of stands every once in a while. Not having tools or space to build some to take, I always stuffed at least $5 in the tube whenever I went. The national guard takes over twice a year for quals. Other than that, it's usually pretty open with the exception of a few weekends in the fall (hunters, probably).

Used to play paintball in the forest there, too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 5:07:45 PM EDT by Griz]
Yes, I meant National Forest, and I meant "Blacksburg", not "Blackburg"

It's a very nice range, 100 yards only, but the firing line has a roof, so it's very pleasant even in the summertime.

The only problem is those students from VA Tech who think it's cool to shoot up computers and other junk and leave it laying around

It's not as nice as a private range, but my parents' farm (with up to 500 yard ranges), is 350 miles away

I wasn't aware that the target stands were provided, I always bring a cardboard box and some paper targets, or a resettable steel target.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:56:21 AM EDT
The range has stand positions at 25, 50, and 75 yards also unless it has changed in the last three years. Next time you walk out to your target check the ground. There should be pipes there for the target stands.

As your original e-mail said, there are many people who scavenge brass there. Many times as we were leaving the range, someone would ask us if we wanted our brass. I don't reload, and will show my ignorance, but I would be cautious of using someone else's brass. Never know what they've done to it.

And yes, there are some people who clearly disobey range rules regarding using trash as targets. I had a fragment of jacket land in my lap once because someone was shooting oil cans at close range. Just as annoying are people who intentionally shoot the target stands.

We modified an old loft for a pistol target stand. Allowed us to set up closer than the 25 yard point.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:54:04 AM EDT
I go up there a couple times a year. It's always fairly clean when I go but I have heard stories about people shooting computers and such and leaving their trash everywhere. It's a nicer range than the one in Craig County IMO. The rage in Craig has chicken wire at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yds. It's hard to hit the bullseye when your target's flapping in the breeze.
Top Top