Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:42:40 PM EDT
A buddy just called me and said that the public range in the Jefferson National Forest near Blacksburg is being closed because of political pressure from a developer....    Has anyone else heard this?  

If it's true, needless to say, we need to organize and fight it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
[tag]

Post if you learn more.  I don't live in that area any more, but think it would be a big loss.  I remember shooting there many times while I was at Tech.

Very sad...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sign me up to fight it if its true. And I got a hell of alot fo friends that will. Being a radford student and we know how poor college students are, thats my local range. Im sure a hell of alot of other radford and virginia tech students I see there all the time will agree and will organize to protest.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
May call the office and find out, never can tell.

New River Valley Ranger District

North Office
110 Southpark Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(540) 552-4641

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Shit, I was going to head out there in a few hours.  I figured it was only time before something like this would happen!  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok I just called the Ranger office.  Some dipshit caused a small 10 acre forest fire there Friday night (most likely caused by someone at the range).  Range is closed until the fire is completely out and soil stabilization efforts are finished.

Range will be open again in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok I just called the Ranger office.  Some dipshit caused a small 10 acre forest fire there Friday night (most likely caused by someone at the range).  Range is closed until the fire is completely out and soil stabilization efforts are finished.

Whew!   Thanks for the scoop.   I'm gonna smack my buddy upside the head for believing a rumor he probably heard from the old geezers in the gun shop.    

I was going to call the Ranger station first thing Monday morning... I had no idea that government workers would answer the phone on a weekend!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Next question:   The weather is great, where do we shoot in the meanwhile   The next closest National Forest ranges an hour or more away.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew!   Thanks for the scoop.   I'm gonna smack my buddy upside the head for believing a rumor he probably heard from the old geezers in the gun shop.    

I was going to call the Ranger station first thing Monday morning... I had no idea that government workers would answer the phone on a weekend!

The fire danger is near extreme, they are probably working overtime in case any more break out.

Next question: The weather is great, where do we shoot in the meanwhile  The next closest National Forest ranges an hour or more away.

The only public range I know of is the Potts Mountain slope range off of 219 near the VA/WV line which is about an hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top