Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 2:24:50 PM EDT
So, I'm moving from Albany to a large house on a decent sized plot of land during the first couple weeks of September.

One of the big draws to this place is the LARGE (easily 1200-1500sq ft) shop this place has.

Overall, it's pretty sound, but it does have two issues.

#1, theres a ton of blackberries overgrowing the back end of it.

What's the preferred (read: easiest/best) method of clearing these things out? Machete and weed killer, or what?

#2, there's about 20-30 wasp nests in the eaves of the shop, ranging from quarter sized to saucer sized.

From my inspection of the interior of the shop, it doesn't look like the bastards have made their way into the shop, so it doesn't look like a major infestation.

Should I just spray the hell out of them early in the morning when it's cool (like, 3AM or 4AM), and then knock the nests down and throw them away/burn them, or is there a better method to getting rid of them and keeping them from coming back?

I've been an apartment dweller all of my adult life, so I've never had to hassle with problems like these.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:29:03 PM EDT
Eat them!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 2:30:29 PM EDT by Cape_hunter]
Blackbarries = Backhoe(after yo upick a few gallons of them for PIE!
Bee = Wasp spray and long stick Spray them at night, and knock the nests down.

Where is your new place?
CH

ETA:
You can spray the barries, but do it in the fall. You will kill more of them that way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:39:44 PM EDT
Backhoe isn't going to be an option...

The shop has an old greenhouse attached to the backend that, while it'll probably come down, needs to be taken apart by hand.

=(

As for location, it's on Oak Drive in Lebanon - the "Truck Route" Oak Street/Oak Drive.

It's about 1-2 miles outside Lebanon city proper. about a half mile from Denny School Road.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:28:12 PM EDT
You might be able to ask a neighbor to clear it. The best way might be to just bull doze it. My parents had the same problem but the tractor wouldn't get to it. The only way was to weed eat it with a steel blade. Takes some time and you'll ruin your clothes but it works.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:45:11 PM EDT
I just cut the blackberries to the ground with a weedeater w/steel blade. The roots will sprout new brush in a few weeks. When the new growth gets about 6 -12" tall, I spray the heck out of with with brush killer. Give that a week or two to work, clear out the dead plants and your done.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 5:11:59 PM EDT by NMSight]
Garlon 3A will kill the blackberries now and you'll have to mow the dead canes later. What you use though depends on what you may want to plant there later. Orchard? Lawn? Pasture?

Tempo sprayed under the shop eaves will kill the wasps and prevent their return for a bit - spray early morning though.

You're in my old stomping grounds. Only thing I miss about over there is ARPC - been thinking about joining again so I can shoot there when we go visit our daughter in Brownsville.

NMSight

editud cuz mi reeding comprehencion suks - If you can't get there w/a tractor follow Semiautos advice. Green canes will weedeat much easier that dead ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:17:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NMSight:
Garlon 3A will kill the blackberries now and you'll have to mow the dead canes later. What you use though depends on what you may want to plant there later. Orchard? Lawn? Pasture?

Lawn, I guess? I figured I'd throw grass seed down when I was all done.

Tempo sprayed under the shop eaves will kill the wasps and prevent their return for a bit - spray early morning though.

How long does this keep them gone for?

You're in my old stomping grounds. Only thing I miss about over there is ARPC - been thinking about joining again so I can shoot there when we go visit our daughter in Brownsville.

Oh yeah? I used to live in Halsey, went to Central Linn until the middle of my sophomore year, before I transferred to South Albany High School.

editud cuz mi reeding comprehencion suks - If you can't get there w/a tractor follow Semiautos advice. Green canes will weedeat much easier that dead ones.

Gotcha - thank you both.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:00:29 PM EDT

How old is your daughter? Just curious if she's my age and if we went to school together.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:38:00 PM EDT
I've had good luck with the Raid foam wasp killer..........it'll shoot to the second story eaves on my house, and sticks pretty well. Haven't had any come back all summer.
As for blackberries..........time.........lots of time......and sweaty, nasty, prickly labor....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:39:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By A1C_Titan:

How old is your daughter? Just curious if she's my age and if we went to school together.

Ha ha - good try Actually I would remember if you were in school with her - since we homeschooled her and her sister. BTW, she is 30.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:04:08 PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long does this keep them gone for?

I use it for spiders/wasps over here. Once early spring and once around mid-summer under eaves, around windows and doors, seems to keep Mrs. NMSight happily spider and wasp free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:45:01 AM EDT
NAPALM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what we used to use for the blackberries on the ranch! It wasnt called Napalm,but same sort of stuff. Mixed it w/off road diesel and it worked for hours and hours burnin those damn things to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:24:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Unka-Boo:
I've had good luck with the Raid foam wasp killer

That’s what dad uses around their place, and it does go a long ways. He usually sprays right before bed, about 11PM. If it’s a big nest he’ll spray it a couple different times before trying to knock it down. The stuff is very lethal to those little buggers, I chase them around sometimes, kinda like Sporting Clays, you hit one in the air though with a good stream, he’ll be dead on impact.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:06 AM EDT
ONE OF THOSE 'ELECTRONIC FLY SWATTERS' WOULD BE THE BALLS FOR GETTING THE INDIVIDUAL WASPS.......AS LONG AS THEY DIDN'T SWARM YOU, THOSE THINGS ARE JUST TOO KOOL ON FLYS AND SPIDERS....THEY POP AND CRACKLE....MY 11 YO LOVES USING IT....WHEN HE CAN GET IT AWAY FROM DAD....YOU CAN USUALLY PICK THEM UP FOR $3-4 AT HARBOUR FRIGHT AND OTHER PLACES......YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH FUN THEY ARE TILL YOU TRY ONE OUT....
AS FOR THE BLACKBERRIES, I THINK SOMEONE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WHEN THEY SAID NAPALM...........
--CARLOS
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:11:00 PM EDT
Electrical contact cleaner for the wasps. I'v sprayed it on softball sized hornet and wasp nests.They come boiling out but fall immediatly to the ground.One shot stops!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:00:41 PM EDT
Kythri,

I am in the valley for a couple days trying to place the last of my fall planted veg seed crops. I think I may have seen your new place when I drove into Lebanon this afternoon. Thought about stopping and cutting a few berry plants for you but didn't have much time .

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT

I'll get them soon!

I've been out there a couple times attacking the wasps...

Hey, this "Tempo" you speak of...

Is it "Tempo WP" ??

I googled for it, and found some wettable powder stuff, but no sprays.

Where do you get it at?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:22:05 AM EDT
For The blacberrys and brush I use a broadleaf spray like Crossbow. Use raid on the wasps. They are really bad out at my place too. As they are anywhere in the country around lebanon. You can cut down the blackberrys with a Weed eater with a metal blade if a Cat or Tractor is not an option then when cleared spray all the ground with crossbow. you may have to spray several times. By the way I'm out of lebanon on the other side of town. towards Lacomb on Lacomb Drive.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:50:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:
or is there a better method to getting rid of them and keeping them from coming back?

Your on an AR15 forum. Use the AR15
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:51:57 PM EDT

I'll get them soon!

Is it "Tempo WP" ??

Where do you get it at?

I buy it at work in central OR. You should be able to get it at any Farm Chem Supply store. It's in mls but the "pint" container is ~ $38. Tempo Ultra SC. Has a measuring dispenser on it and you use 1/2 to 1 ounce/gallon. The WP formulation is the same active ingredient but comes in a foil pouch to make one gallon of spray.

Here's a link in case you're like me and like to stay up late studying pesticide labels: http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:19:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
For The blacberrys and brush I use a broadleaf spray like Crossbow. Use raid on the wasps. They are really bad out at my place too. As they are anywhere in the country around lebanon. You can cut down the blackberrys with a Weed eater with a metal blade if a Cat or Tractor is not an option then when cleared spray all the ground with crossbow. you may have to spray several times. By the way I'm out of lebanon on the other side of town. towards Lacomb on Lacomb Drive.

Sweet!

We're going to need to get together some time and go shooting, or just BS!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:20:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -RotorDemon-:

or is there a better method to getting rid of them and keeping them from coming back?

Your on an AR15 forum. Use the AR15

Boy, I wish!

Unfortunately, I don't want to shoot up the building, and I do have a couple neighbors, with no sufficient backdrop...

We're also not THAT far out of town, so I think there's probably some ordinance or something about shooting...

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:21:12 PM EDT

I'll get them soon!

Is it "Tempo WP" ??

Where do you get it at?

I buy it at work in central OR. You should be able to get it at any Farm Chem Supply store. It's in mls but the "pint" container is ~ $38. Tempo Ultra SC. Has a measuring dispenser on it and you use 1/2 to 1 ounce/gallon. The WP formulation is the same active ingredient but comes in a foil pouch to make one gallon of spray.

Here's a link in case you're like me and like to stay up late studying pesticide labels: http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp

NMSight

Cool...we've got a Cenex out here, so I'll have to go check them out, and find a high-pressure sprayer, too!

Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:56:45 PM EDT
This is what I use on blackberries.

I'm built the mower, it can take down 6" trees with one wack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:26:07 AM EDT
My brother had some wasp nests in his truck bed and we took care of them with cleaner. I used some heavy duty cleaner that had bleach in it and a hose to wash em out. I think if you had a face covering and a spray gun you could spray the bastards with bleach and hose out the shop. This way you get a clean shop with no wasps.
Top Top