Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 1:30:14 AM EDT
are they really the mutts nutts ? ? ?

I'm currently using a single-stage RCBS Rockchucker for loading small quantities of ammo, which is fine, but doesn't really scale up.

How much do these suckers cost, and are they easy to use/maintain ?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking about a dillon.

Is it best cheaper to order them from the US?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm currently using a single-stage RCBS Rockchucker for loading small quantities of ammo, which is fine, but doesn't really scale up.

If you already got a Rockchucker, you could consider something like this.

Regardless of which option, you could arrange for one of our American friends in the Team Forum to buy it and ship it over to you, dodging those nasty taxes etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I only reload pretty small quantities, but I'm getting bored of how long it takes.

I think the major reason for my slowness is using a balance scale to measure out each powder charge - can anyone recommend a good, consistent powder measure?

I reckon I could at least double my rate if I used one, but I've been a bit wary so far, owing to not being sure if they are going to give consistent weights.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Mark.  A lot of my kit is Lee already, and I've been pleasantly surprised by most of it.

That Lyman thing looks nice, I bet I wince when I find a price though

ETA £240 for the Lyman, I think I'll just try a straightforward measure and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks, Mark.  A lot of my kit is Lee already, and I've been pleasantly surprised by most of it.

That Lyman thing looks nice, I bet I wince when I find a price though

ETA £240 for the Lyman, I think I'll just try a straightforward measure and see how it goes.

Got mine on a World Tour® for that figure in dollars

I've got a Lyman 1200 with the latest speed kit fitted.
It does a grand job IMO, but that BEEP is loud enough to wake the dead

The BEEP! can be turned off in the latest model of the unit though...

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#10]
This is better than the Lyman.......

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is better than the Lyman.......

gallery.mac.com/taskers/100048/-DanaInfo-shop-rcbs-com-98923/web.jpg

To be honest we have always found the Lyman one better.... seems to work quicker, and is easier to change the powder with...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the major reason for my slowness is using a balance scale to measure out each powder charge - can anyone recommend a good, consistent powder measure?

I reckon I could at least double my rate if I used one, but I've been a bit wary so far, owing to not being sure if they are going to give consistent weights.

Lee perfect powder measure
Surprisingly good value for money
images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/297338_d.jpg

Of course there are more expensive measures, but realistically they don't work any better.

A lot depends though on the type of powder you use.
Ball powders are more consistent than stick types but honestly, you can throw inconsistent chargges in any measure and not ever notice the difference on the target.

Another option is the Lyman DPS1200.
I have one of these and it takes a lot of the effort out of it as it throws and weighs each charge.
All you have to do is hit the button and wait for the beep
www.reloadersnest.com/images/lyman_1200dps.jpg

And the Lee powder measures are cheap enough, you buy 10 for the price of the Lyman DPS.  But if you do have more than one it helps to label them as how much of what each one throws  Might save you from an expensive mistake
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I bought a Dillon 5550B in 1989, and after more than 100,000 reloads (mostly pistol rounds) its still going strong. How's that for value for money?
Only thing that broke was the powder measure - and that was replace FOC by Dillon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top