Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2020 1:19:44 PM EDT
$34B in tax revenue to be taken from those who would defend themselves.

What's next, a tax on bicycles?

Link to article
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If it passed, (  C'mon GA.  )  I foresee a long but losing Court fight.  Not only would it likely fall afoul of Poll Tax prohibitions, it might just get all the miscellaneous fees and taxes associated with gun sales tossed.  Maybe, I hop, Would be nice.

Taking on any new significant gun control infringements with the current SCOTUS seems like another losing effort once it gets there.  

Also another another way for the Democrats to further alienate Middle America
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
An excise tax on firearms and magazines is not a poll tax.  It would not run afoul of that part of the Constitution, nor would anyone likely argue such before a court.  I think it'd be a straight RKBA challenge, perhaps also trying to find taxes on this right to be unconstitutional infringements.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An excise tax on firearms and magazines is not a poll tax.  It would not run afoul of that part of the Constitution, nor would anyone likely argue such before a court.  I think it'd be a straight RKBA challenge, perhaps also trying to find taxes on this right to be unconstitutional infringements.
View Quote

Those are taxes applied before the sale to the consumer.   NFA would be at the time of sale or retroactive to current owners.  Those to me look like taxes applied to the individual that wants to exercise their right.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Those are taxes applied before the sale to the consumer.   NFA would be at the time of sale or retroactive to current owners.  Those to me look like taxes applied to the individual that wants to exercise their right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which has nothing to do with poll taxes (taxes that must be payed specifically to be afforded the privilege of voting).

NFA taxes are excise taxes, in this case targeting something that is a right and imposing further burdens in the name of enforcement of said tax, although since the GCA it seems like it has gone beyond just being a burdensome excise tax regime, especially since you're not even allowed to pay the tax on certain items, but will get in trouble for not paying the tax.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top