Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 7/16/2010 5:47:28 PM EDT
I have only lived here for a few years and my wife and I want to do a little camping/hiking this late summer/fall.  Where are some good places to go, preferably places that allow you to carry etc..  We are in mid NW OH, a few hour drive is no big deal.  Are state parks the best/safest places to go?
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i've heard hocking hills is nice w/ good scenery..   south of columbus, east of chillicothe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#2]
yellow springs around dayton is wonderful! neat little town and state park has waterfalls, rock islands and tons of trails! you may also run into dave chappell as that is where he lives. very neat area.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Mohican State Park:

Mohican State Park

whole lot to do and pretty close to you! I was there every summer for 63 years when I lived in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hocking Hills is tops for me, but for outdoors activities with small kids Deercreek and Shawnee Trails are also very nice!
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Hocking Hills is a really nice hiking location.

We used to go to the Allegheny National Forest when I was a kid and it was beautiful.  I don't think that it took much more than a couple of hours from the Cleveland area.

You would have to get a non-resident CCW from PA to carry though.  There were members on here that were getting them through the mail with a valid OH license but I can't remember how they were going about doing it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I normally only backpack in WV and to a lesser extent, PA. But Wildcat Hollow is a pretty good overnight loop (about 16-18 miles).

I did it this spring and it was pretty dry in there for some reason. Finding a clear running stream to filter water from was a bit of work. So, you may want to look on the maps and make a water drop where the trail crosses one of the FS roads before you start.

Wildcat hollow is a great place to pack. The nice thing there is that you can camp anywhere and have a fire.

The bad thing is you are not supposed to use stream water there due to the history of the place. There are contaminents in the water that filters WILL NOT TAKE OUT. This is from an odnr friend whom I back pack with.  We always drive up to the north tip of the trail and leave a hidden water drop.

A plus one for Hocking Hills, too. It's a wonderful place that's hard to believe it's in Ohio. Don't go on a weekend. Place gets CROWDED. Really enjoy the 13 mile loop from Ash cave to Old Man's cave and back with Cedar falls in the middle.

John Bryan/Clifton gorge/Yellow Springs is a nice place to day hike. There are rappeling/climbing stations there, too, if you're into that. Not very technical or tall but still fun. Decent camp ground, if you can stand camping with others. (Wife loves it, I hate campgrounds). Young's Jersey Dairy is right there, too. Great ice cream. Nice restaurant with home cooked style meals (get the Ruben). Goats and stuff for the kids to pet/feed. Downtown Clifton is the Clifton Mill. An actualy working water powered grain mill/ restaurant. Pancakes of almost any grain the size of a plate and biscuits/gravy to die for.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Hocking Hills is just fantastic.  Nice camping areas, two days' worth of places to see and you can see them with individual short hikes or make a longer hike between some places.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
$26 gets you a PA carry permit from Centre County.  I've had one much longer than I had an Ohio carry license as back then if your state had none they'd issue one anyway.  Now you need an Ohio CHL to get the PA license.

Download the application, xerox your Ohio CHL, write the check, and get it in the mail tomorrow.

New Hampshire just increased their non-resident to $100 but it includes several critical to me Deep South stated not covered by OH and PA.

–– Chuck

Wow...I wonder how much my NH renewal will run when it expires in two years.  For that kinda coin, it might make more sense to go with a FL permit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
RECREATIONAL USERS PERMIT FOR
American Electric Power Free camping

The first link is to get a free permit. This you need!!!
The second link will show you a map link.
This is free Camping, Fishing and Hiking area.
No hook ups as far as I know.
Ohio's Buckeye Trial runs through it!
Hope this is helpful.

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Hocking Hills is awesome!! Favorite spot to go camping!!!!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top