Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2011 9:34:09 PM EDT
In about 8 hours, me an my girlfriend are headed south to the Gulf for a couple days. We are headed down with the camping gear, tent and our bicycles. At this point in time, I am just winging it mostly as far as a campground. I have looked at a few online, but i thought i might get some help from anybody with experience or that lives near that knows which place might be a better environment or nicer place in general.

We like to bike and so we would like a place or city that may be more friendly to that. Headed to Pensacola at the moment, but havent ruled out Orange Beach, or Mobile, or any other surrounding area.

Please chime in if you have any advice!

-TN friends
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]

The Gulf State Park Campground is not the best by a long shot!!!  We camped there one weekend summer before last, and the park is nothing like it was before the hurricanes tore it up.  There is absolutely no shade at all in the park now.  While it won't be that bad this time of year, during the summer it was terrible.  Even the people staying in travel trailers were complaining about the park not having any shade around.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Man I hate to hear that.  I havent been there in  20 years.  I had fond memories of the place.  Maybe by the next time I make it back they have some shade.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd check into Henderson State Park at Perdido, Florida.. It's just a couple miles across the AL/FL border and while I've never camped there, its gorgeous. Fires are allowed below the high tide line. PLENTY of open, remote beach to camp.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/hendersonbeach/default.cfm
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
St. Joseph state park would be my suggestion. The campground is on the end of the St. Joseph penninsula. Beautiful white sand beaches on one side and salt water flats on the other side. Lots of biking opportunities, this is a very bike friendly area. It is also a short drive to St. George state park which is also very bike friendly. You also have Appalachicola between these two parks. If you like fresh seafood I recomend Boss Oyster Resturant in Appalachicola. Get a table outside by the water and you can watch the boats bring in the days catch while you eat the freshest seafood byou'll ever eat. The wife and I actually saw an alligator swimming around the docks the last time we were there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Big Lagoon State Park and Ft Pickens (Gulf Island National Seashore) are both good options IMO.

Big Lagoon is more remote, there is not gulf side beach.  Pickens is typically more crowded, it has gulf side and bay side beaches as well as the Fort to look at.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. It was late when we got in so Gulf State Park was about the only place we found that was staffed/unlocked 24hours to get a spot. It was very nice the two days we camped, like one said...a lack of trees now.

We then ventured up in the bay a bit and pitched tent at a small Maeher State Park for a couple nights.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. It was a great little get-a-way!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top