Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 8:52:11 PM EDT
Lets say, comepletely hypothetical of course!  You're not doing anything crazy, just 10 over the limit coming from Md towards the VA border at the ?okwakan? river bridge.  Lights behind you.  What happens if you floor it, go over the bridge and take the first exit off highway and onto VA local roads.....

Can a Md cop chase you over the bridge? off the highway?

Really hypothetical, don't worry I didn't do it!  Just thinking....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can a Md cop chase you over the bridge? off the highway?
Really hypothetical, don't worry I didn't do it!  Just thinking....

Technically, I believe so. ISTR that this falls under the 'hot pursuit' clause, though the MD officer's
agency should be in contract with the relevant VA County agency, and advising them of what's
going on and why.

Only 10mph over as the only offense would seem a bit anal, though I'm sure worse has been charged
with...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Only 10mph over as the only offense would seem a bit anal, though I'm sure worse has been charged
with...

I just meant there's no  serious charge like hit and run, driving while naked, etc...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
with...

I just meant there's no  serious charge like hit and run, driving while naked, etc...

....showing a trooper your ugly toes.....  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Most jurisdictions (state and local) have agreements with their neighbors allowing police to cross lines if involved in a chase.  Even without that, there is nothing illegal about him following you until you run out of gas then holding you until the lcoals show up to make your arrest official.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The MAN gets pissed off............gets your tag...............calls PG County police..........they stop you.......beat you..........maybe arrest you...........hold you in PG County lock-up as a fugitive from VA (PG County jail is a suck-ass place to be, second only to DC jail..IMO)

OR

The Man gets pissed off.........gets your tag...........swears out a warrant.............comes to your house and sends you and your little hobbit feet to FFX Co. jail!! (which is not anywhere near as bad as the two above, but still not a good place to be!!)

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The MAN gets pissed off............gets your tag...............calls PG County police..........they stop you.......beat you..........maybe arrest you...........hold you in PG County lock-up as a fugitive from VA (PG County jail is a suck-ass place to be, second only to DC jail..IMO)

OR

The Man gets pissed off.........gets your tag...........swears out a warrant.............comes to your house and sends you and your little hobbit feet to FFX Co. jail!! (which is not anywhere near as bad as the two above, but still not a good place to be!!)

I won't go easy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
This ain't Hazard County Hot
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
You won't be putting square meals in that round mouth!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This ain't Hazard County
Hot pursuit rule would apply. They might even get a competition going to see which agency could get you first.

I just bring it up cause I rarely see popo near the bridge there.  I thought htat would be why.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

please..... Jail would rule, I'd get to lose weight, work out and make new friends!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

please..... Jail would rule, I'd get to lose weight, work out and make new friends!

AND you would finally get some
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lets say, comepletely hypothetical of course!  You're not doing anything crazy, just 10 over the limit coming from Md towards the VA border at the ?okwakan? river bridge.  ....

Just a bit of geography here, but the Occoquan River is well inside VA.  Its the dividing line between Fairfax and Prince William counties and its calle the Purple Heart Bridge.  I think you are talking about the American Legion Bridge which connects VA and MD over the Potomac River.

BTW... whenever I cross the Am Legion Bridge, I always get a little grin as it just feels good to be back in the Free USA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#14]
from my recollection of conversation I had with a VA State Trooper I was teaching a long time ago was that if it was NOT a felony pursuit, they might follow you to the other side to try to ID you driving the car and putting a warrent out for you. If they cant ID you driving, it's harder to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AND you would finally get some

bwahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lets say, comepletely hypothetical of course!  You're not doing anything crazy, just 10 over the limit coming from Md towards the VA border at the ?okwakan? river bridge.  ....

Just a bit of geography here, but the Occoquan River is well inside VA.  Its the dividing line between Fairfax and Prince William counties and its calle the Purple Heart Bridge.  I think you are talking about the American Legion Bridge which connects VA and MD over the Potomac River.

BTW... whenever I cross the Am Legion Bridge, I always get a little grin as it just feels good to be back in the Free USA.

My bad, you're right the American Legion Bridge, and HELL yeah it feels good coming across.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Couple of years ago, some real winner of a human being stole a bus in Baltimore. When they finally got him about 3 hours later,( finally wrecked in VA ), Baltimore PD, Maryland State PD, Washington MPD, Faifax PD, and VA State PD, and probaly acouple of others, were all there on the scene in Spotsylvania.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Couple of years ago, some real winner of a human being stole a bus in Baltimore. When they finally got him about 3 hours later,( finally wrecked in VA ), Baltimore PD, Maryland State PD, Washington MPD, Faifax PD, and VA State PD, and probaly acouple of others, were all there on the scene in Spotsylvania.

Well that answers that!  And hey, I thought she could take that turn!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just bring it up cause I rarely see popo near the bridge there.  I thought htat would be why.

Probably more of an issue of where to turn around without leaving in your jurisdiction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top