Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2008 6:54:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/22/2008 6:58:32 AM EST by buckmaw]

Some engineers at S&B in Clute fish at Matagorda often and felt it was worth a safety moment to point out what one of them found on Mother’s Day 2 weeks ago. Good to know when roaming around that area. Feel free to pass on to your fellow friends and fishermen who go to Matagorda often.

All I see there are about 6 pairs of quality Tony Lama's.... and maybe a hat band or 2...
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 7:24:22 AM EST
snake...its what's for dinner......
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 8:59:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By buckmaw:
i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/buckmaw_1/Mothers_day_08_002.jpg

Some engineers at S&B in Clute fish at Matagorda often and felt it was worth a safety moment to point out what one of them found on Mother’s Day 2 weeks ago. Good to know when roaming around that area. Feel free to pass on to your fellow friends and fishermen who go to Matagorda often.

All I see there are about 6 pairs of quality Tony Lama's.... and maybe a hat band or 2...

Just need a shotgun for that problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 9:53:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:00:28 AM EST
The last time I was down at the beach, there were no dead mesquite trees or rocks laying around. The sand down there is more of a brown color instead of grey.

I'm raising the flag.

Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:14:11 AM EST
Saw this same picture this morning on a hunting forum and the guy posting was from Arizona.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 11:48:39 AM EST
Taken at the beach, huh?

Link Posted: 5/22/2008 11:57:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By wdlsguy:
Taken at the beach, huh?

www.oldhippie.com/photos/data/556/Mothers_day_08_001.jpg

www.oldhippie.com/photos/data/556/Mothers_day_08_002.jpg

Well, uhhh, with global climate change, uhhh, and all the icebergs melting, duhhh, and sea levels rising, yeah.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 11:58:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 3:38:52 PM EST
I received these same photos in an e-mail today stating that they were taken in Wyo., damn those snakes travel fast.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 3:42:10 PM EST
2 kinds of snakes in the world;

Those that have been treated with buckshot

Those that are about to be treated with buckshot
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 3:48:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By photokirk:

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:49:58 PM EST
I would call that DINNER!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:54:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tuff:
I would call that DINNER!!!

MB
MAST Solutions
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 5:43:51 PM EST
LOL, snakes with frequent flier miles......................
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 7:48:11 PM EST
I think yall are out of touch with reality with these Wyoming snakes not being at the beach. Never heard of Garth Brooks', "Beaches of Cheyenne"?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:43:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By cvanbrunt:

+1

Guys, they are just snakes. Not navy SEALs. #9 bird shot or target loads will do just fine
I admit there are too many for my usual chop them up with a hoe comment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 4:53:07 AM EST
Mmmm.... Snake! The OTHER White Meat!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:59:18 AM EST
Wow. A picture of a snake pit and my mother-in-law is nowhere to be seen...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:04:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By USMC_1983-89:
Wow. A picture of a snake pit and my mother-in-law is nowhere to be seen...

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:52:50 PM EST
That is what is known as a "target rich environment".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:36:40 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By hk940:
height=8
height=8

+1

Guys, they are just snakes. Not navy SEALs. #9 bird shot or target loads will do just fine
I admit there are too many for my usual chop them up with a hoe comment.

HAHAHA! If someone ever comes across a navy seal zombie snake we might have a problem
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:37:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 7:38:37 PM EST by lmckelvy]
Although the picture is not of Matagorda, there is (or was) a significant rattlesnake problem on the island. I don't know if they still do it, but there was an annual rattlesnake roundup down there when I was a kid (early 70s) and they would take 40 or so snakes a day. As I recall they would simply smoke them out of their holes and catch them with loops -- no shooting allowed. And yes, there was beer involved.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:10:25 AM EST
Why all the hate for the snakes? All they do is eat the vermin that have historically spread diseases that have killed millions of people. I bet most of you don't even know anyone who has ever been bitten by a snake. I know two people who were, both were bitten by water moccasins and while not a pleasant experience for them, both lived. How many people are actually killed by snakes in the US per year? I bet spiders kill more people than snakes. I don't want a snake as a pet, but if I see one, I go the other way. If a piosons one is in my yard, I move them with a shovel to the open feild behind my house. Grow up people and have a little respect for nature and it's creatures. BTW, I bet deer kill more people in the US than snakes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:56:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 8:56:35 AM EST by starduks]
^ listen to this guy
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:00:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I bet most of you don't even know anyone who has ever been bitten by a snake.

I know me. And while poisonous snake bites in the US are rarely deadly, they can have dramatic and long lasting effects on the victims. I was lucky and only lost a little of the use of my ankle/foot. Many are not so lucky.

David

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:46:51 AM EST

Why all the hate for the snakes? All they do is eat the vermin that have historically spread diseases that have killed millions of people. I bet most of you don't even know anyone who has ever been bitten by a snake. I know two people who were, both were bitten by water moccasins and while not a pleasant experience for them, both lived. How many people are actually killed by snakes in the US per year? I bet spiders kill more people than snakes. I don't want a snake as a pet, but if I see one, I go the other way. If a piosons one is in my yard, I move them with a shovel to the open feild behind my house. Grow up people and have a little respect for nature and it's creatures. BTW, I bet deer kill more people in the US than snakes.

I got bopped Sunday
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:14:11 PM EST

You would be correct on ALL counts. Some people would rather have the rodents.{Moose are in the deer family}
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:14:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By Halffast:

I know me. And while poisonous snake bites in the US are rarely deadly, they can have dramatic and long lasting effects on the victims. I was lucky and only lost a little of the use of my ankle/foot. Many are not so lucky.

David

What kind of snake was it. I would love to hear the circumstances behind your bite since these things are kind of rare. The two dudes I know didn't have any after affects that I know of, but both were bitten in the calf area of the leg.
I guess I should have explained that I'm not some radical snake lover, but I also don't see any need to completely eracticate them from the planet either. If someone wants to kill snakes on their property, fine, I have no problem with that. I personally don't, but that is just me. Just don't cause a head on collision because you are swerving trying to run over a snake. Yes, this almost happened to me once in the rural area where I grew up. Some old man who lived down the road almost hit me as he was trying to run over a snake. I don't even know if the snake was poisones (sp) cause he missed it after he seen me coming and honking.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:16:37 PM EST
Just for the record, there are no poisonous snakes. There are venomous snakes. Poison is ingested, venom is injected. If snakes were poisonous, you could not eat them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:56:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hoji:
Just for the record, there are no poisonous snakes. There are venomous snakes. Poison is ingested, venom is injected. If snakes were poisonous, you could not eat them.

Thanks for the correction. When I spoke of deer killing people I was refering to car accidents with deer. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who feels that snakes aren't all bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:27:14 AM EST
But are there any poisonous deer?

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:53:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2008 10:44:55 AM EST by Halffast]

Originally Posted By Halffast:

David

What kind of snake was it. I would love to hear the circumstances behind your bite since these things are kind of rare. The two dudes I know didn't have any after affects that I know of, but both were bitten in the calf area of the leg.
I guess I should have explained that I'm not some radical snake lover, but I also don't see any need to completely eracticate them from the planet either. If someone wants to kill snakes on their property, fine, I have no problem with that. I personally don't, but that is just me. Just don't cause a head on collision because you are swerving trying to run over a snake. Yes, this almost happened to me once in the rural area where I grew up. Some old man who lived down the road almost hit me as he was trying to run over a snake. I don't even know if the snake was poisones (sp) cause he missed it after he seen me coming and honking.

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I didn't see this response until now.

It was a baby rattle snake about 15" long. I went out to get into my truck right at dark one night and was standing in the grass on the edge of the driveway when I believe I stepped on him. It felt like someone had smacked me on the ankle with a baseball bat and burned many times worse than a wasp sting.

I went back in the house and got a flashlight to look for whatever had "Stung" me. I saw the snake crawling under my truck and found something to kill him with. After giving him a good subdural haematoma, I put him in a ziplock and told my wife to drive me to the hospital about a mile from the house. On the way, my wife and 7 yo daughter were crying, but my 9 yo son was going, "Cool, Dad!"

When we got to the hospital I walked into the emergency room and there was a very large woman talking to the receptionist. I stood patiently behind her, waiting my turn, when after a minute or so a nurse came over and asked if she could help me. I held up the ziplock and said, "Yeah, I got bitten by this."

The next thing I know, they shoved a wheelchair under my ass and pushed me into the back where I received quite a bit of attention. They traced the outline of the redness on my ankle with a pen every fifteen minutes and wrote the time down. By the third time my ankle and leg started to resemble a stretched out rifle target.

The doctor asked me why I had killed and brought the snake in. I told him that I had heard that was what one was supposed to do. He told me that they don't recommend that anymore as the anti-venom they have is no longer species dependant and that many people got bit again trying to kill the snake. And, that by this point the snake was likely to be really pissed off and even though the first bite was probably dry, the second wouldn't be.

They were concerned that I had been bitten by a baby rattler though, as they don't often dry bite.

My wife called my family and word soon spread that the black sheep had been bitten. My brother, who had just started work for New York Life, called to check on me. He wanted to make sure I would live as I had just written a big policy with him and it was still so new that if I croaked his commission would have reversed.

My mother also called, more concerned with the condition of my underwear than my leg. I assured her that it had been clean before the snake had bitten me, but I wasn't as confident now.

Fortunately, because the snake had hit me squarely on the ankle bone, he hadn't been able to really bite down and inject much venom. I didn't have to have surgery and I only spent one night in the hospital. I did miss about a week of work as my foot was swollen to twice it's normal size. It was great week though, as I was not able to get my foot in my mouth once the whole time. First time in quite a while or since that I've gone that long.

I did require some physical therapy and it got me back to around 95%. It's been ten years now and it seems that my foot/ankle function is very close to even. Of course it might just be old age had degraded the good one.

Joke making aside, it's something I hope to never repeat. Afterwards, when I researched snakebites, I realized how much damage a pit viper can do. Very seldom does anyone dies from one of their bites, even if the victim does not get treatment. However, the damage to tissue can be severe and debilitating even with the best care.

I hope you enjoyed my little snake story and please be careful with snakes.

David

PS - I still don't want to kill every snake I see. Not even rattlers. If they leave me alone, I leave them alone. However, if one acts in the least bit aggressive, Mr. Snake, meet Mr. Shotgun!
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 9:07:23 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By soowah:
LOL, snakes with frequent flier miles......................

It.... must... be.... done!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGv6Ijf1aU
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:24:10 AM EST
My cousin's mom got bit about 15 years ago on the hand while working in her flower bed. Rattle snake. Her hand and arm swelled so much, they had to cut it open so the blood would continue to circulate. She was in the hospital for a while, destroyed a lot of tissue in her hand and she had severe pain for a long time along with some flu-like symptoms. Used an electric stun gun to help with the pain as it was that bad.

One of my customers called me two weeks ago to place an order. He said he would have ordered sooner but he had been in the hospital a couple of weeks for a snake bit and was trying to work from home. He didn't tell me what kind of snake, but it didn't sound good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:44:33 PM EST

+1

or cci .45acp shot shell in a glock 30
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:57:46 PM EST

Why all the hate for the snakes?

I look at snakes the way TexRedneck looked at Nate at The Hun Farm.

"You are in my personal space"

POP! POP! POP!

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:43:10 PM EST

because I have young daughters and 400 acres in the hill country. snakes are my primary concern, same as when I squash spiders. call me paranoid, but "help" is 30 minutes away (minimum). so I like to call it a "pre-emptive strike".

also, vermin rarely kill people any more.

and deer dont have fangs.......

and I used to own a snake (red tail boa). had it for years. snakes dont scare me. but venomous snakes make me very nervous for my children's safety. therefore, they dont live long when I find them. sorry if that offends anyone....
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:44:08 PM EST
this picture was taken out side of Del Rio on Lake Amstead when ever i received it about 5 months ago...
still pretty wild to see a den that large.
Mertz
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 6:58:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By MLMertz:
this picture was taken out side of Del Rio on Lake Amstead when ever i received it about 5 months ago...
still pretty wild to see a den that large.
Mertz

I dunno if it was Amistad, but I've seen it a lot of times....

That said, after Carla, I remember going down to the beach with my Dad as he was a carpenter and making money repairing beach homes.....and seeing lots and lots of Diamondbacks...
Top Top