Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2006 6:36:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2006 6:37:25 PM EST by spambo]
I am sitting at my desk at work when the phone rings and one of my co-workers
tells me that another co-worker just got walked out the door. She says "What were
you guys talking about?". The guy had just left my office and we were joking around
but there wasn't anything that I thought was offensive. Topics in the past have
included Tannerite, Glocks..... but we always close the door.

The next thing I know, our group has a meeting with the HR head and one of our
upper level managers(i.e. scum sucking dogs). He says our co-worker was
walked out the door for a "thread of violence" and *someone* was "afraid". WTF!

No one has any idea what the hell happened. This guy didn't go around threatening
people. Me on the other hand...... Anyway, this guy was commenting on the
Holloween contest and said maybe he should go as "sniper or disgruntled employee".

We find out later the person reporting the "threat" complains to HR about everyone and
everything and was so "scared" hearing that a co-worker was going dress up as
a "sniper", she HAD to go home. The conversation occurred on the
other side of a cubicle walls and was in no way directed at anyone. What a bunch of BULLSH*T!

I hate working for a living.

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:46:58 PM EST

OMG, do we work in the same building???

HR will be the end of us all.....

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:54:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By spambo:
I am sitting at my desk at work when the phone rings and one of my co-workers
tells me that another co-worker just got walked out the door. She says "What were
you guys talking about?". The guy had just left my office and we were joking around
but there wasn't anything that I thought was offensive. Topics in the past have
included Tannerite, Glocks..... but we always close the door.

The next thing I know, our group has a meeting with the HR head and one of our
upper level managers(i.e. scum sucking dogs). He says our co-worker was
walked out the door for a "thread of violence" and *someone* was "afraid". WTF!

No one has any idea what the hell happened. This guy didn't go around threatening
people. Me on the other hand...... Anyway, this guy was commenting on the
Holloween contest and said maybe he should go as "sniper or disgruntled employee".

We find out later the person reporting the "threat" complains to HR about everyone and
everything and was so "scared" hearing that a co-worker was going dress up as
a "sniper", she HAD to go home. The conversation occurred on the
other side of a cubicle walls and was in no way directed at anyone. What a bunch of BULLSH*T!

I hate working for a living.

Spambo

Since they made a statement as to why he was fired he has an excellent chance to winning a suit against the company if he should choose to go that way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:55:18 PM EST
I find your attitude offensive. You're invading my personal calm. Please desist with your "logic".

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:19:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By NoAim:
I find your attitude offensive. You're invading my personal calm. Please desist with your "logic".

Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't talk about my weekend "social work". That Diplomat II sure comes in handy!

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:21:35 PM EST
LEts see: Solution to person making comments about snipers and "Disgruntled employees"? Yeah, that's right. Fire them.

"We always try to fire people on friday. Statistics show there is less likelyhood of an "incident"...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:07:35 PM EST
What a crock! Just talking about some potential costumes can get one fired this day & age. I wonder how long it will take before some of us are asking "paper or plastic sir"!

The corporate world sucks!

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:27:07 PM EST
As I said in Nox's thread.

I hate coporate-america.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:59:31 PM EST
You, and most everyone else.

It does pay the bills, however....

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:57:21 PM EST
"...And this button-down, Oxford cloth psycho might just snap, and go stalking from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine, gas-powered semi-automatic weapon..."

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:14:15 AM EST
Ha, we got the SAME "HR" talk after a bunch of us went down to the Kershaw Knife sale.

We were all sitting around flicking our new Ken Onion 2 1/4" "Speed-Safe Assisted" knifes,
when an intern, (young, male) walks in to someones cube.

He told HR we were threatening him, and felt scared.
He didn't last long in our group.

Pat

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:15:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2006 9:12:42 AM EST by Hartmann]
You could, in all honesty, file a similar complaint with HR saying that you now feel threatened and that there is a "chilling effect" in the office due to co-worker who complained. I am serious here. You can say you no longer feel that it is an open environment where people can talk and share ideas but now it is a place where ideas and innovation are stifled. These are the terms HR will understand and may adddress.

The idea is to make yourself look like the victim to HR. It'll drive HR nuts with all the paperwork but at least you let that other co-worker know that actions have consequences and they can't just get their way every time they claim to feel "threatened."
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:22:14 AM EST
Reminds me of when I was in high school. In order to ditch class with an excused absent I would tell the male teachers I started my period. They would all turn red in the face and all but lend me their cars.

Sounds to me as if someone got their panties in a wad and wanted a day off on the clock.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:23:17 AM EST
I have worked in waaay to many PC/liberal working enironments and they all stress me out. Its like walking around in a mine field everytime you go to work.

Believe me, i am pissed for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:27:40 AM EST
PC = TEOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:34:40 AM EST
I guess I shouldnt call the front desk lady " Sweet tits or Suggar nippals" anymore when I call up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:39:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By pribbz:
I guess I shouldnt call the front desk lady " Sweet tits or Suggar nippals" anymore when I call up.

Oh no, dont stop doing that. Gunkate loves it when you talk to him that way!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:33:13 AM EST
I guess I should no longer talk about Bacon grease as a good bullet lube, and how packing HP's with that grease helps on bullet expansion, would not want to offend the very many members of a particular cult.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:54:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:19:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gunkata:

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:33:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2006 8:57:32 AM EST by Hoppy]
And always remember: Harass is not two words.

Trust me, I've taken all the classes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:39:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2006 9:43:14 AM EST by A1C_Titan]

Originally Posted By Hoppy:
And always remember: Harass is not two words.

Tust me, I've taken all the classes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QOspidd7ko

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfnfcAItKo
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:14:54 AM EST

PC = TEOTWAWKI

Well I guess that means it's time for us all to head to WS4LIF's secret survival retreat in the woods...now where did I put those dang lat/long coordinates again....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:38:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hartmann:

PC = TEOTWAWKI

Well I guess that means it's time for us all to head to WS4LIF's secret survival retreat in the woods...now where did I put those dang lat/long coordinates again....

Go there if you want but Cape's place has satellite and a big screen. I'll be heading there....

Where'd I put that quad map....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:47:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By Syphonius:

PC = TEOTWAWKI

Go there if you want but Cape's place has satellite and a big screen. I'll be heading there....

Come TEOTWAWKI, I'm going to 8325 SE Mcloughlin Blvd, Portland.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:50:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By munkalido:

PC = TEOTWAWKI

Would that happen to be the acrop? Or the Bomber?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:09:11 AM EST

PC = TEOTWAWKI

Heck, if you're coming to an end, you might as well see a few (ends).

Nick
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:22:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2006 10:24:24 AM EST by Noxspector]

PC = TEOTWAWKI

I'll save you a seat!

It's another thing that I'll miss about where I worked. There were several people there who are shooters. Everyone at the site knows I am into shooting. In fact my desk was a standard stopping point for new people so that I could show off some ARFCOM videos. I never had anyone there say "eeww guns". Most of the time it was more like "WOW! that's cool!" Then I'd extend an invite to go shooting.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:28:32 AM EST
Heck, most of my co-workers have gone shootin' with me. I dont know any that have a problem with that. And even if they did, no one around here would care. As long as I dont bring guns to work I'm fine. I'm actually suprised that I haven't been fired yet for some of the stupid shit I've let fly with around here. They just keep promoting me though... Go figure.

Mark.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:42:51 AM EST
I really feel for that guy. Most of the time the people that are the little whinners are the ones that dont have kids, and dont understand how things/life work in general. I wish i could be crying about what im not getting and what everone else is doing but im too busy trying to be a good role model for my son. I would rather make a point to not be around someone that "offends" me(which is kinda funny cause im usally "that" guy). Just becuase they're retarded and are just a loser in general doesnt mean their wife/kids are. I would never want to be the cause of someone getting fired.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:29:57 PM EST
I bring multiple guns to work every day and they even give me ammo.....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:20:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2006 4:20:26 PM EST by Q-Man]

You could, in all honesty, file a similar complaint with HR saying that you now feel threatened and that there is a "chilling effect" in the office due to co-worker who complained. I am serious here. You can say you no longer feel that it is an open environment where people can talk and share ideas but now it is a place where ideas and innovation are stifled. These are the terms HR will understand and may address.

The idea is to make yourself look like the victim to HR. It'll drive HR nuts with all the paperwork but at least you let that other co-worker know that actions have consequences and they can't just get their way every time they claim to feel "threatened."

Something like this may work. What kind of work environment is created when everyone has to be worried about people eavesdropping on a tongue-in-cheek conversation?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:19:19 PM EST
What the Hell is "HR"? We don't use that term out in the dirt where I work.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:38:56 PM EST
Heh i just found out that my new job is anti gun a coupple days ago... turns out the coworker i'm with is a shooter as well...

a No guns on premisses rule is fucking retarded... the disgruntled employee who is going to shoot someone is far from worried about the stuped fin policies at their workplace...

blah..

I talk about shooting at such all the time at my workplace... if anyone has a problem with it and says something then the fun begians...(allthough the end result a few places has been ME getting fired after calling someone a Stuped Libtard or the like...) eh

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:17:19 AM EST
Holy shit, Is that a Stager, Dieselman? We used to have a Panther and a Bearcat when we farmed in northern Minnesota. Dad was friends with the Owner and his 2 sons before they tragicaly died in a small plane crash in I think it was 92.
Those tractors kick ass. I went from a MF 5 bottom plow to the staiger and a 12 bottom. 3000 acers went from 5-6 weeks to 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:23:59 AM EST

Holy shit, Is that a Stager, Dieselman? We used to have a Panther and a Bearcat when we farmed in northern Minnesota. Dad was friends with the Owner and his 2 sons before they tragicaly died in a small plane crash in I think it was 92.
Those tractors kick ass. I went from a MF 5 bottom plow to the staiger and a 12 bottom. 3000 acers went from 5-6 weeks to 3-4 weeks.

See I knew you were a closet plowbow/redneck
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:05:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By PCArms:
Ha, we got the SAME "HR" talk after a bunch of us went down to the Kershaw Knife sale.

www.knivesplus.com/media/KE-1610.jpg

We were all sitting around flicking our new Ken Onion 2 1/4" "Speed-Safe Assisted" knifes,

Pat

I almost got the same.

I had just gotten back from the knife sale. And I was showing the saleslady that I worked with all the cool stuff. She about jumped a foot when I opened the "assited". Then she got real nervous and backed away a couple of feet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:18:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By NoAim:

Originally Posted By PCArms:

www.knivesplus.com/media/KE-1610.jpg

Pat

I almost got the same.

I had just gotten back from the knife sale. And I was showing the saleslady that I worked with all the cool stuff. She about jumped a foot when I opened the "assited". Then she got real nervous and backed away a couple of feet.

I gave those out in the office as gifts last christmas. Sombody is always flicking one open around here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:03:11 PM EST

Yes. Steiger Bearcat series one. It must have about 20,000 hours on it now and is rather worn out. Yet, can't seem to get rid of it, it just never dies! And with it being built out of simple truck components, it's so cheap and easy to work on that I doubt we'll ever get rid of her.

So what does "HR" mean?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:06:51 PM EST
"Human Resources"...

Mark.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:47:41 PM EST
Ya its old but reliable. Ours were the next series with the darker green, fuel tank in the rear and the steps were on the fender wells.
Dad actually designed a simple buddy seat for them.

Some of my best memories are when I would be out in the field and a rabbit or gopher would break and run. I would swing the right door open hit the decelerator with my left foot and let the lead fly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:07:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By M-60:
"Human Resources"...

Mark.

Ok Human Resources, that makes sense. Yeh, we don't have that in my occupation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:15:42 PM EST
The person who is my now former Human Resource Manager is a fellow shooter and is related to a member here. It made for good conversation. At work I never came across a coworker that even hinted at an issue. Most asked when the next shoot was and if they might be able to come. We were/are working on several people.

I hope the next place I work is that cool abou it. The property owners did have a "No Firearm on Property Clause. That put a cramp in getting to the range after work quickly.

Top Top