Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 5:31:21 PM EST
Man....came home last night from work, grabbed a beer and headed downstairs to play some games on the computer...why are my feet wet? Great, 3-4 inches of water in the basement. Called in today, and spent all day pumping water, mopping, snaking, etc. Sucks. Hopefully it will not flood again when it rains later on tonight.

(We got a shit ton of rain yesterday afternoon in Belton. I heard it was 3 inches an hour...and we had some big ass hail too.)

Oh, fortunately my safe is up on a shipping pallet, and the ammo is all in sealed ammo cans.

Now, I just have to figure out why the basement toilet is slow and/or verify that the drainage system is actually clear...anybody a plumber that would like to help an arfcommer out?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:10:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:21:15 PM EST
My basement leaks water from the floor drain. Which is on the opposite side from the sump pump.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:45:46 PM EST
It came up through a drain in the basement, which is tied to the drain in the patio, which is sub ground level. (Funky walk out and up deal.) So, I got those drains cleared of dead leaves, mud, twigs, etc.

Now, why the toilet is acting up....that's a mystery for me. I don't know if it's related to the trouble today, or if it has been acting up for a while. I am not down here much except for reloading (and now the PC for summer) so I don't use that toilet very often.

There is a sump pit in that room, but I don't have a sump pump in it. I was pricing them out at home depot earlier. Although, this is the first time since I've owned the house (6.5 years) that this has happened. Although, that patio often fills up with water in big storms...

(I even had the city come out. I called to ask if they had any sewers backed up after the storm, and they said they'd come check. Whole damn convoy came out, and they vacuu-sucked the main line on both ends of the street. i thought that was pretty nice of them. I just hope I don't get a bill!)
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:16:32 PM EST
If you claim it on your insurance...DO NOT TELL THEM YOUR BAREMENT IS "FLOODED" tell them it has water in it, water came threw the floor, do not say the word flood or flooded cause then they will say...you dont have flood insurance, and you did say it was flooded......, anything else is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:18:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By beltfedMGs:
If you claim it on your insurance...DO NOT TELL THEM YOUR BAREMENT IS "FLOODED" tell them it has water in it, water came threw the floor, do not say the word flood or flooded cause then they will say...you dont have flood insurance, and you did say it was flooded......, anything else is good to go.

Yeah. I really need to learn to Lie or Not Tell All the Truth. I called them and said the basement was flooded, they asked...where'd the water come from? Oh, the drains I think.... And, of course, I don't have the Back up sewer/clogged drains rider on my coverage.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:37:45 PM EST
As for the sump pump, don't get the one from depot I do foundation work for a living and replace these on a daily basis, take a trip to pyrmid plumbing in grandview and get a Zohler or better yet a Stevens stainless pump, couple more dollars but these two are pretty much bullet proof.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:19:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

Yeah. I really need to learn to Lie or Not Tell All the Truth. I called them and said the basement was flooded, they asked...where'd the water come from? Oh, the drains I think.... And, of course, I don't have the Back up sewer/clogged drains rider on my coverage.

You are not lying, you are telling a protected truth. It's symantics...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:41:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 5:16:36 AM EST by Thunder69Storm]
Lot of moisture in the basement, don’t forget to clean the firearms in the safe, just cause they didn’t get a bath doesn’t mean they will not rust from being in the sauna.

Bummer on your bacment, hope it all drys out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:26:35 AM EST

It might still be worth having an adjuster from your insurance company come take a look at it... The worst thing they can do is tell you it's not covered.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:29:20 AM EST

Don't lie. Just don't offer to much information. They asked...where'd the water come from? Oh, out of the floor I think....

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:10:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Brother_Kane:

Don't lie. Just don't offer to much information. They asked...where'd the water come from? Oh, out of the floor I think....

Yeah, when they said that it only covers surface and runoff water, I was like...so...the 3 inches per hour of rain and the pingball sized hail that is in my basement somehow is not covered?

But, yeah, it's not over yet. Drains are still slow, so I'm still going to probably have to have a plumber come out. And, some of the dry wall soaked up a fair amount, so there is some damage.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:18:35 PM EST
I had troubles at my old house. And I was in it for just about the same amount of time. Turns out I had tree roots in the sewer pipe. Any large trees in your yard. Dont have to be right over the sewer line.

Good luck, hope it does not hurt much (in your wallet that is).

Max
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:46:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/11/2009 1:47:31 PM EST by ARinKCMO]
It could be roots somewhere, house is 45 years old. I also have a pretty rapidly settling garage floor foundation, and I'm fairly concerned that a pipe might be getting crushed by the house itself.

This combined with some issues I found in the attic when installing a house fan on memorial day (couple cracked rafters, a missing joist) has me fairly upset as a homeowner right now. But....it's better than an apartment, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:02:59 PM EST
A friend of mine had the same problem with his basement and come to find out he has a spring under his house.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:15:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
As for the sump pump, don't get the one from depot I do foundation work for a living and replace these on a daily basis, take a trip to pyrmid plumbing in grandview and get a Zohler or better yet a Stevens stainless pump, couple more dollars but these two are pretty much bullet proof.

For sure a pump with stainless body and no float. The float is just one more thing to jamb or go wrong. They sell an alarm at lowes that will sound when water covers both sensors. Costs about 20bucks. Sounds about like the fire alarm. CB
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:23:03 PM EST
My basement is currently filling with water again!

Oh, and BONUS! my AC is busted too!

FUCKING A, DUDES!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:37:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
A friend of mine had the same problem with his basement and come to find out he has a spring under his house.

Did he stock trout in it then?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:34:52 AM EST
Last year there were a whole line of houses in the subdivision who had their basements flooded. None and I mean not a single one got any insurance money because they didn't have the sewer backup coverage. They talked to lawyers, the city everyone. They all basically told them to go pound sand. My house was lucky because we were father up the street.

But you better believe my wife called the Insurance company and added the extra insurance. It was only like $60 a year. I thought about asking why they don't just charge everyone an extra dollar and cover everyone. But then I remembered they were an insurance company.

Anyway, hopefully others will learn from your experience, but yeah that really sucks....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:21:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:55:19 AM EST
My basement flooded also. I am thinking about plugging the damn drain. There are two hoses that run from the heater to the drain. I would have to shorten them and install plastic jugs for the hoses to drain.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:20:44 AM EST
Call a plumber because it's going to be worse when it's icy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:43 AM EST
well, my work last week at least had some effect, basement was mostly drained by this morning. I still had a few hours of squeegee action and fans are currently drying the floor.

Kane, I had the same thought. I was like....I have a bag of motar in the garage...I can take care of this real quick....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:26:58 AM EST
Some of the people at work have suggested a Flood-Guard. There are two models. I was told to try the "Check Valve" version fist and then try the " Stand Pipe" version if I still have problems.

Link to Check Valve Flood-Guard

Link to both Flood-Guards
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:49:59 AM EST
cut the wet sheetrock off asap! It will continue to wick up the wall as long as there is water around for it to wick up. Remember to use bleach to stop the mold before it begins.

PTK
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:04 AM EST
Yeah, the drywall quickly hit Ruined State. I had heard about using bleach. Is there a 'pet friendly' solution out there to use, or will I just need to bar the puppy from the basement?

I'm trying to be a bit positive about this. I've been wanting to pull down the paneling and paint the room anyway. I guess now I will have to do it, eh? Especially since the drywall is starting to bulge near the baseboards already...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:36:40 AM EST
The bleach will kill the mold spores, should hurt your dog as long as you're not spraying it Best way to apply is to make a 15% or so solution and put it in a graden sprayer and shoot all the areas that have been flooded. Take care to not spray it on things that will stain/ bleach, I'm mostly talking your concrete, studs, ect.

PTK
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:41:31 AM EST
Yeah what he said along with the fact that it sounds like you got the fans going, it should be okay....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:35 PM EST
I came home after a week in MS right after the storm and went into the food/gun room and saw some water on the floor. Got pissed cause it's only happened once when the gutter was not attached and water went straight down to the corner of the foundation during rehab on the house. Ended up being one of my gallon water jugs that was so old it sprung a leak. Over 3 years old. Used the other 10 to water some indoor plants and have the rest outside waiting for a freakin dry few days to water the garden.

This has been a pretty wet and cool spring/summer so far. I've only watered my garden 3 times and my plants are halfway to maturity.

Top Top