Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2011 7:24:02 PM EST
So I'm heading up there in a few weeks for a 2-day inspection of some equipment, anyone have local knowledge or recommendations?

I'd like to head up the point as far as possible just because it is there - work has already sent me to Newfoundland, Puerto Rico, and Kauai so this will complete the set. There probably won't be much free time, but a return visit is unlikely so I'd like to make the most of the opportunity.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:47:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By XJ:
So I'm heading up there in a few weeks for a 2-day inspection of some equipment, anyone have local knowledge or recommendations?

I'd like to head up the point as far as possible just because it is there - work has already sent me to Newfoundland, Puerto Rico, and Kauai so this will complete the set. There probably won't be much free time, but a return visit is unlikely so I'd like to make the most of the opportunity.

Thanks

You can drive to about 4 miles from the point.

Where are you staying?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:31:21 AM EST
I am up there routinely(Sept 29th as a matter of fact). AH is right about the point. Autos generally stop short of the point. ATV's, tundra tours and hagglunds go out there though. Lots of loose gravel prevent normal vehicle access.

Things are freezing up now. We expect the ground to crust over any day.

At the parking area near the point you can walk from the Chukchi Sea to the Beaufort Sea.

You can go out east field road about 10 miles or so. Might see caribou, but most likely the hunters have them pushed away from town.

The heritage museum a crossed from the AC store is fun, especially if you find a local to go through it with you for added insight.

Be prepared for a constant wind of 5-10 mph at 10-20 degrees. It will still be moist this time of year, with open water.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:45:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:03:59 AM EST
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm told there is a trailer available for guests to stay in, and a loaner truck too. If there is any free time I'll head up towards the point, probably won't be able to visit the museum if they have normal hours.

Top Top