Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 5:36:07 PM EDT
I spoke with Brian this morning and we have come to the conclusion that we should put this off for another couple of weeks.  Simply stated, he won't be able to have the inventory on hand by Saturday to make your trip in worthwhile, and rather than do it half-assed we have decided to wait until we can do it right.  Besides, several folks who really wanted to attend had conflicts for this weekend.  We'll see you all sonn!

Our travel and leisure guru/social director Helldog40 will be coordinating the events of the day.

Now what I need to know from all of you is what are you looking for?  Brian is in the process of stocking the shop and it will take a little while until the selection of the previous store will be achieved, but if told within the next couple of days what you are looking for we can and will do our best to have it on hand.

I'm sitting down with Brian tomorrow to start the ordering, so let us know what you want!

Also, please post here if you plan on attending.

-------------
Edited to add the B&J Guns virtual tour!

B&J Storefront, 1702 Central Avenue

Front Counter of the shop

Leave pets, livestock and girlfriends at home... none are safe around Brian

Halogen lamps and a 50 cal sure increase the odds!

Left side of the shop

Right side of the shop

Soon to be chock-full-o rifles!

Black Rifle Display, nothing but evil black rifles

The man himself, Sewerpipe... lock up the female kin-folk and cover the kiddies' ears... the man that makes you cringe when he opens his mouth, but like a bad traffic accident you just have to focus on...
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Drill weekend, damnit
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Directions Please ,and store hours  
thanks  NHSPORT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be there albeit with empty pockets.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Then its time to start selling more stuff... or bring things to trade!  Wife and kids accepted at substantial discounts...
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Great news Hiram! Well, I'll have to check the work sched - seems we're a bit understaffed that weekend already. Perhaps I can stop down for a couple hours before heading into work if it ends up being that I have to go in....grumble grumble.

Nevertheless - Long overdue congrats to Brian!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then its time to start selling more stuff... or bring things to trade!  Wife and kids accepted at substantial discounts...

What do you want in trade for your Krink?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you want in trade for your Krink?

Maybe your G36 conversion if you ever get it running...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok so where exactly is the shop located and what exit of the thruway is it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Exit 24, take 87 North to the exit for Schenectady.  This will put you on Central Ave heading West.  The shop will be immediately past Goldstein Buick on your left, 1702 Central Avenue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahh Crap we have a 4wd run I host every year that weekend. any other plans on events this fall?
(need more toys!! and actally will soon have debt paid off so I can buy some!!)
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ahh Crap we have a 4wd run I host every year that weekend. any other plans on events this fall?
(need more toys!! and actally will soon have debt paid off so I can buy some!!)

maybe we can have hiram make brian shut it down so another grand opening can happen later in the year?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll stop by if I can.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]
We're still shooting for the 20th, but in answer to your question Hoppie, I could probably have the shop closed down after hunting season for an exclusive ARFCOM event... but here is the caveat.  If Brian is shutting down the store for a members' only gathering, people need to be there to buy.  I know that sounds kind of callous, but if he is not letting other customers in to shop, he is losing their sales.  I don't really have any worries about this as I remember well the last gathering and how it exceeded anybody's expectations.

The cold hard reality is Brian is starting from scratch and probably has every penny to his name tied up in this.  He spent tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to prevail and is now at a make or break point in his life.  I know everybody is behind him for moral support, I hope that a long and beneficial relationship can resume between him and the members of the ARFCOM family.

Hoppie, I have the FFL copy in hand for your transfer and that will be going out tomorrow along with around 50 copies to the major dealers in SGN.  We're busy little beavers trying to get everything up and running.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We're still shooting for the 20th, but in answer to your question Hoppie, I could probably have the shop closed down after hunting season for an exclusive ARFCOM event... but here is the caveat.  If Brian is shutting down the store for a members' only gathering, people need to be there to buy.  I know that sounds kind of callous, but if he is not letting other customers in to shop, he is losing their sales.  I don't really have any worries about this as I remember well the last gathering and how it exceeded anybody's expectations.

The cold hard reality is Brian is starting from scratch and probably has every penny to his name tied up in this.  He spent tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to prevail and is now at a make or break point in his life.  I know everybody is behind him for moral support, I hope that a long and beneficial relationship can resume between him and the members of the ARFCOM family.

I wasnt really serious when i mentioned the grand reopening.  I wouldnt want the man to close down for a members only shopping spree.  That would be pretty pointless and might send a guy down the road to another shop who might never return

Hoppie, I have the FFL copy in hand for your transfer and that will be going out tomorrow along with around 50 copies to the major dealers in SGN.  We're busy little beavers trying to get everything up and running.
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually Hoppie, I'd love to find a way to close the shop down just for members... maybe find a place for everyone to shoot in the morning, grab a late lunch/early dinner and then close the shop early and open it just for ARFCOM.  That way our members get as much personalized attention as possible.

Sorry if I'm a little edgy, I see how much he has riding on this and couldn't imagine being in his shoes.  I can tell you though, he really likes the guys from the board and looks forward to seeing you all very soon.  If there was ever a man who lived to be in this business, Brian is that guy.  Its been a long 10 months for him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Well around christmas I will be in a shopping mood if you get my drift. Mrswildweasel wants some new guns and I have a few possibles in mind too. Don't need to close him down but I think a informal get together after turkeyday
would be cool.  I know the other shop was great and arfcommers came out and spent that first time. Here's to a successful bussiness
for many years to come for Brian.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm definately in!!!!! Now that I've moved into a housr where there's no rent/mortgage, maybe I'll even have some ca$h.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice photos, Hiram. I'll come if I can convince the wife to let me out of the house. I'll definitely visit next week on the way home from work. Can't afford any guns right now, but if he's got some .308 surplus, I'll buy as much as I can swing.

I went by last night, though I just looked through the door at the top of the stairs. It's real!

Mapquest link
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
hmm, this is getting more interesting. I may be able to swing the trip. Now, if there's any shooting to be done, am I ok transporting firearms from CT? also, anyone from CT want to carpool? I'm in Windsor, so it would be easy to shoot up 91 and then hit the masspike.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hmm, this is getting more interesting. I may be able to swing the trip. Now, if there's any shooting to be done, am I ok transporting firearms from CT? also, anyone from CT want to carpool? I'm in Windsor, so it would be easy to shoot up 91 and then hit the masspike.

peter58 lives in CT and made the drive up twice.  shoot him an IM and maybe he can help you out
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Sadly shooting is a bit of an issue... All of the clubs around here are private and they limit their members on how many guests they can bring...  I need to get Chrisp929, HKGnnr and some of the other local guys to join my club... then we can each bring a couple guests and take over the range ...

You can bring a long-arm into the state, it must be unloaded and the ammo stored in a seperate case.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Hiram - I'm certainly open to looking into your club. I'm currently in the early stages of receiving a membership at the Guan Ho Ha club in Scotia. I should be 'initiated' by the early part of next year. They have plenty of firing lanes on various ranges - 25, 50 and 100-125.

I'll certainly look into the prospects of holding a group meet there as well, but of course thats a few months off.

As stated, I'm certainly going to try and make it to the re-opening at B&Js for a couple of hours at least before work. If you can/or would like to bring me an application or contact information - I'd be happy to look it over.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Hiram hope it opens on the 20th. If the weather doesn't fxck things up I should be in the evening of the 19th and will be there on the 20th. Don't how I'll be able to buy any new guns and get them past Lil. We should be leaving the 24th for FL. We've counted all the long guns we have to load into the car for our trip to FL (27). One more and we will not be able to close the door. Maybe a trade?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Ger, it would be great to see you and Lil!  She is in my prayers daily.  You know Brian, trades are always welcome!

HK, Brunswick is a relatively inexpensive club to join, $45 a year, maybe $50 or less initiation fee.  100 plus acres you can hunt, 100,200,300 yard rifle range with covered shooting stations, 50 yard pistol range with 5,10,25 and a covered 50 yard shooting station, archery and trap ranges.

I'll try to get some applications by then.

I really look forward to seeing you all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the prayers Hiram. Went to the doctors office with her last Monday. Her intestines are all messed up because of Crohns. She has various spots that are closing down. She has bouts of vomiting and the doctor says it's her intestines closing. Looks like she will be having a few operations in the coming year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#26]
If the wench woman doesn't come home from CA like she promised, I'll be there!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody wanting to pop in sometime I'll arrange an early sneak preview... but I can't see the sense in having people come if the shop isn't truly up and running.  Sorry.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to hear about the delay. Tell Brian I wish him luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I didn't want to be Captain Obvious over here, but dem walls sure did look barren!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#31]
The walls are barren because the renovations were still being made.  Up until the night before they were still sanding displays Greg and doing carpentry and hanging ceilings.  Not the kind of stuff you want to do with stock on hand.  Now there is the issue of taking delivery of stock, cataloging it in, ticketing it...

It was possible it could have been pulled off in time, but if it was anything less than what Brian wanted he wouldn't have been happy, and neither would the guys.

Just one of those delays that comes into play with contractors, building inspectors, permitting issues.

Anyone got an idea for an alternate weekend?  The weekend before Gunstock would seem to be a strain for the Avilas and anyone traveling to Waco the following weekend.  Or am I wrong, would that be a good weekend folks?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The walls are barren because the renovations were still being made.  Up until the night before they were still sanding displays Greg and doing carpentry and hanging ceilings.  Not the kind of stuff you want to do with stock on hand.  Now there is the issue of taking delivery of stock, cataloging it in, ticketing it...

It was possible it could have been pulled off in time, but if it was anything less than what Brian wanted he wouldn't have been happy, and neither would the guys.

Just one of those delays that comes into play with contractors, building inspectors, permitting issues.

Anyone got an idea for an alternate weekend?  The weekend before Gunstock would seem to be a strain for the Avilas and anyone traveling to Waco the following weekend.  Or am I wrong, would that be a good weekend folks?

i think the weekened before would be a bad idea considering the cirumstances.  WE have all had a major project in our lives and something major always seems to come up as you near the deadline.  maybe have the meetup 2 weeks or so after gunstock.  I think the weekend afterwards would be bad considering the amoutn of traveling done and the need to "relax"
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Just let us know as soon as possible so the wife can take the day off. I know she would kill ne if I went alone.
After this month I hve nothing going till the holidays so this troopie has no problems whenever you guys can set it up.

Having it around gunstock would not be good for the obvious reasons I think.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I guess we're shooting for late October then.  sorry I won't be able to see some of you until then, others I will see at Gunstock.  The good news is by late October everything should be humming along nicely, lots of stock, everything settled in. - will make for a much nicer gathering.

Hoppie, your transfer should be in within the next couple days if the seller has received the FFL - which he should have as it was mailed out Thursday morning.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the update Hiram and no problem on this end. Seeing that I was going to have to work 16 hour shifts two days in a row this weekend, I was going to forgo sleep just to stop in.

I'm sure Brian will make it worth everyones while when things are in order.

Looking forward to more 'Gerald' stories come October/November!

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#36]
After lurking about for a few weeks I picked up my Bushmaster 20" A3 today. I look forward to the opening as I will be ready for ammo and some other supplies and parts. This is my first semi auto rifle.
Lou
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
After lurking about for a few weeks I picked up my Bushmaster 20" A3 today. I look forward to the opening as I will be ready for ammo and some other supplies and parts. This is my first semi auto rifle.
Lou

Welcome aboard!  Are you an upstater or a sandbar resident?  We have a relatively large meet coming up on the 28th of September in Calverton on Long Island.  It'll be a BBQ/Shoot kind of thing.  Hope to see you there!

Hiram, I don't believe you, I saw his inventory....its that one rifle, isn't it?  And let me guess, being the greedy bastard you are, you bought it without giving us a fair chance, right?  Doesn't matter when the "grand opening" is held, its all just an excuse to get the Avillas out of their ivory tower to visit us lowly peasants.  Right?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Hiram, I don't believe you, I saw his inventory....its that one rifle, isn't it?  And let me guess, being the greedy bastard you are, you bought it without giving us a fair chance, right?  Doesn't matter when the "grand opening" is held, its all just an excuse to get the Avillas out of their ivory tower to visit us lowly peasants.  Right?

I wish my friend.  Sad truth is other than the SEBR AR10 I have no firearms purchases contemplated for awhile.  The State is going through tough fiscal times and I'm on year 4 1/2 without a pay raise.  Needless to say, over the past 4 1/2 years my rent has increased, as have life's other expenses.  I just might have to see if I can get a paid job at the shop - not sure if that would help matters fiscally or further exasperate the problem.

The Albany gathering is all about seeing my favorite assholes!  And you Greggypooh, you're my favorite...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Tell him to make it in the middle of November
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Tell him to make it in the middle of November

Marc, we'll get a general consensus and take it from there.  Middle of November is two months away, I think folks might like to get there sooner.  So what do people think, end of October, mid November?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Mid October, Columbus Day weekend. To answer a question I am a upstater. Schenectady Co.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Columbus Day Weekend is Gunstock, most of us - well MANY of us, will be in Waco, TX... including our social director HellDog40 and your friendly shop liaison HiramRanger.  The weekend after is not going to be great either as people will be travel weary.  Let me work on it folks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I went by B&J yesterday. The cheap "B&J Guns" lettering on the glass door has been changed to a nice sign, complete with hours of operation that exactly match the old hours (M-F 10-9, Sa 10-6, Su 10-4). There is still an 8.5x11 paper sign taped onto the door saying that they are not open yet, but will be soon, so I didn't go upstairs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Bill, I'm there a few days a week.  Renovations are just about done, shelves are being stocked and the guns are being delivered on a daily basis.  All very exciting for those of us going through withdrawl!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I visited B&J on Wednesday. They were open! Said Hi to Brian. He told me that it will take about three weeks to fill the shelves with guns. He's planning on an open house on Saturday, November 1.

He had lots of rifles and some handguns, tons of (mostly pistol) magazines, lots of ammo, lots of knives, etc. etc. But there's still lots of empty space for rifles and handguns. To be filled soon...

Beautiful store. Glad to see it open.

His black rifle collection isn't very big yet, but he DOES have eight or ten Romanian AKs, if you like Commie guns.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Wonderful shop, within a few weeks it will be great.  Don't count on November 1st for the open house, likely later in November... I'm busy that weekend and there can be no open house without HiramRanger.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Let me ask.  I personally feel the shop is well enough stocked right now to have a gathering.  I'm going to post a new topic in this forum asking about the first two weekends in November.  Ed, remember, you have a standing invite to go with my friend on his property if you want to get some rifle time in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top