Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 12:34:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you snap that at if you don't mind me asking? I only ask because I was down in Anastasia St Park last year walking with the dog, no one else around happened to look up in a tree and there was a big ole mature adult bald eagle just looking right down at us. I should have probably snapped a pic with my phone but I was getting eaten alive by mossies at the time so I moved on. Anyway I didn't know if he was resident or not. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I live right in that area. There was a nesting pair on Saratoga, right by Hendricks Ave Elementary, for years until the pine it was in was struck by lightning. Those in your photo could be them or their offspring. If you have a BFL on your car, I've probably seen it at the Winn Dixie parking lot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
our railyard storage facility has a bunch of old light towers left over, from when it was a freight yard. they're about 150 feet tall, and have a large platform on top, with old yard lights. out of six towers that run the length of the old yard, two have bald eagle nests up top, and the other four have ospreys. the one right above our loco servicing shed has baldies, and you can hear the babies peeping and crying all day long. they're up there each year, adding to the nest, chasing away hawks and falcons, and competing with the ospreys, for the best towers to nest on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw two on plains prettiest this morning as I crossed it on 441.

Red
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida has one of the densest concentrations of nesting bald eagles in the lower 48 states, with an estimated 1,500 nesting pairs.
View Quote
Damn yankees coming down to start families.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I see them almost every day on NAS Jax. All the young ones are out hunting now with mon and dad teaching them. Look up Florida bald eagle cam live on youtube, It follows a breeding pair every year.
But yea, they are everywhere in Jax
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw one flying around the other day. Unfortunately, we only have osprey nests around us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
every time I go across the Plains Prairie just south of Gainesville on 441 - I always look for them - this past week saw two sitting on one of the big towers - awesome sight.

You can also see them driving across the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville if you are looking for them.

Red
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida has one of the densest concentrations of nesting bald eagles in the lower 48 states, with an estimated 1,500 nesting pairs.
View Quote
I was going to say the same thing. I grew up camping, hunting, and fishing all over Florida and they were prolific 30 years ago. I also did my eagle scout project with the Audubon and had one at my eagle ceremony.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top