Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2007 12:01:51 PM EDT
Ok, so I was traveling up I-35 yesterday going to a job south of FT. Worth when I spotted some big pawn shop sign that said GUNS.  So, that got my attention and I figured I would try and find the place.  I took exit 333A or some crap but by the time I got to some circle intersection, I forgot they way.  Yeah, I know...I need to pay more attention.  Anyway, I go through the intersection and low and behold, there is a gunshop.  

Well, my thought was a gun store is better than a pawn shop....right.  Well, first off when I walked in, the place is a total mess.  The room you first walk into is very small.  The guy behind the counter is showing some poor guy why not to buy a Glock.  There is a desk in the middle of the room that has crap laying all over.  The carpet has not been vacuumed in months.    There was one rack against the wall with a few old bolt guns and shotguns.  There was a nice new Springfield Armory Garand in the collectors box on top of a shelf.  I was looking for a holster for my P220 and for a Springfield M1A Scout so I started nosing around. There is a little hallway that leads to the back of the store which is a total mess.  But, there were a few more rifles (mostly crappy SKS's) on a rack and a bunch of holsters.  Score...  I find a holster I like so I decide to go up front and see if the guy knows where any more P220 holsters might be.  This is when it goes really bad.

I go up to talk to the guy because the customer is leaving.  Before he leaves I notice that he was looking at Glocks, and XD's.  I mention that he should take a look at the S&W M&P that the guy has under the counter.  The guy behind the counter hands me the gun and asks me why I like it so much.  I go into the ergos, low bore axis thus less recoil, and interchangeable back shells.  I also say that its a great gun for the price.  Well, the he asks me "so tell me how you cant shoot it"?  I look at him like this and say "what"?  What kind of safety does it have?  I tell him that I dont want a safety on my handguns if its a DA trigger.  I want to pull the trigger and it go bang.  Then the guy says "well, I can tell you dont have any kids" and laughs and looks at the customer like I was a stupid kid.  I said, "uh, actually I have a 3 yr old at home".  This is what pissed me off..... He said, "well you obviously dont care about your child".  I was so pissed that he could say that to a customer that I said "WOW, you have a good day" and walked out.  

Normally I dont care if a place has crappy service, but the guy literally told the customer that if the "president of glock personally gave me a pistol to have as long as I carried it, I would not take it, but if he said I could sell it I would".  Then he said that other gem to me.  This was long, but I wanted to give an accurate description of the place.  The guy needs to learn customer service.  

Oh, and btw, he actually had a 30.06 sign posted outside.  If the mods dont have a problem, I'll post the name of the place later.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to live in Waco very near that store. I've bought some USGI AR mags for $10 a piece there, but that's all. They were in a cardboard box in the little hallway that goes to the back room. Never bought anything else from there.

If you want to go to a gunstore in Waco, go to Praco Gun and Pawn. It's the best small gunshop I've been to anywhere. The owner is a bald headed guy with glasses. He's a great guy and knows a lot about the guns he sells. The other guys that work there don't know as much, but don't pretend they do either. Everyone keeps their opinions to themselves unless asked. They also have a great selection and decent prices. I was in there once a week when I lived there.

To get to Praco from the highway, take 18th west about 3 miles to Waco drive and turn south (left). It's about one mile down on the right.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
i guess he does not like any revolvers.
i have never seen one with a external safety.

There are people in this world who go about demanding to be killed. You must have noticed them. They quarrel in gambling games. They jump out of their automobiles in a rage. They humiliate and bully people whose capabilities they do not know. These are people who wander through the world shouting, "kill me". And there's always someone ready to oblige to them. Vito Corleone:
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been in that place when I was workin' up there once. Not impressed at all by said owners smug/arrogant/crotchety attitude. He balked with a hiss when asked about transfers or special orders. His loss, I was totin' about $2500 cash that day, fuck em' I'll shop where I'm wanted & valued as a customer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been in that place when I was workin' up there once. Not impressed at all by said owners smug/arrogant/crotchety attitude. He balked with a hiss when asked about transfers or special orders. His loss, I was totin' about $2500 cash that day, fuck em' I'll shop where I'm wanted & valued as a customer.

No doubt....

What real gun shop does not allow CCW anyhow?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I went there once while my daughter was at Baylor. Got the attitude and he didn't know jack about the pistol I wanted to look at. Praco was good though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You tell me that I don't love or know how to take care of my child and I"ll punch you in the face (and I"m nothing close to an agressive type person).  

Thanks for the heads up 33shooter!  I do travel through Waco quite often so if anyone wants to share the name of the business, I would like to know so I don't stop there.

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i guess he does not like any revolvers.
i have never seen one with a external safety.

There are people in this world who go about demanding to be killed. You must have noticed them. They quarrel in gambling games. They jump out of their automobiles in a rage. They humiliate and bully people whose capabilities they do not know. These are people who wander through the world shouting, "kill me". And there's always someone ready to oblige to them. Vito Corleone:

There actually was one made, I forget the name though. IIRC it was a military gun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So was that guy behind the counter the owner or what?

If he was the owner, wtf was he carrying guns in his display case he doesn't want to sell?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So was that guy behind the counter the owner or what?

If he was the owner, wtf was he carrying guns in his display case he doesn't want to sell?  
He just wants to sucker someone into buying something else he carries that has a higher price.........been shoppin' long? Common ploy in sales & marketing. Wise? No. Common?Yes, happens all the time, day in day out................
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He just wants to sucker someone into buying something else he carries that has a higher price.........been shoppin' long? Common ploy in sales & marketing. Wise? No. Common?Yes, happens all the time, day in day out................

Guess it's something I don't pay attention to often then. Generally I know what I want and if the person doesn't want to sell that item, elsewhere I go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I looked at the prices and the Springfields were marked up a lot more than the Glock or the M&P.  Hell, the M&P was marked 499, not that bad really.  

I'm not as hot headed as I was a few years ago, other wise he would probably have heard a mouth full.  I'm very protective of my kid...hell, thats why I CCW and the reason I bought my Sig.

Guns R' Us is the name, I'll take it down if the Mods object.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#12]
"He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing.  
Parents are probably idiots, too."

Quote from Lorraine's father in Back to the Future

S

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
yep, was in that place a couple of times.  Guy was weird-didn't want anyone handling any guns.  OK>>  I went in there last fall and was in need of 762x39.  He had some Wolf he was willing to sell me for $10/20rds, if I bot five he would knock it down to $8 a box.   This is when others actually had it for sub $4.   Never friendly anc extremely short hours!
Praco is great, I try to stop there every time I go to Waco now!  Bought a 20 ga from them a couple months ago.
You have to swing southeast off the circle to get to Rodeo Pawn. Neat little place with high prices, but very willing to negotiate. And smells great because of all the leather saddles!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
30.06 sign on a gun shop?  Screw 'em. I wouldn't spend any of my money there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]
That place is a bit of a rat-hole.  I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a letter from the Toys-R-Us lawyers.

Several people have mentioned Pracos and its nice, but I prefer Keith's Hardware out in Hewitt.  My wife went to Praco's to buy an XD45 and they wouldn't give her the time of day.  At Keith's it was ordered in right away and they threw in some extra accessories for free.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on Praco.  I used to live right around the corner.  They were responsible for a lot of my credit card debt when I left college.  Scruffy Murphy's and Buzzard Billy's were responsible for the rest.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
+1 on Praco.  I used to live right around the corner.  They were responsible for a lot of my credit card debt when I left college.  Scruffy Murphy's and Buzzard Billy's were responsible for the rest.

heh...I'm from Gatesville, I spent some time and money there in Scruffy Murphy's and Buzzard Billy's, but only when I wasn't at a pasture party somewhere...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
heh...I'm from Gatesville

THen you know about 6 man football in Star (between Evant and Center City)!   I frequent the football games over there during deer season!  
We are the drunken idiots that really don't know who we are rooting for

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Speaking as a guy who still lives in waco I only stop in praco to compare prices, 99% of the time they are overpriced.  Don't even get me started with guns-r-us.  Keiths is a good place and they will do anything to help you out, stick to them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Went in Guns R us this spring looking for a remington shotty. He couldn't find it in his book and told me "they don't make them anymore"....it was an 1100 Tac 4 and it's fairly new.

I talked with the guy for a couple minutes...until he started going off on the store that sold several AR-15's to the 'Waco Kid'. Started ranting about how he'd seen the ATF report and the gunshop owner should have been hung.... "Koresh didn't NEED no AR-15's"!! "That bastard sold him 10 in one day"....OK.....I'll check back......

Pracos is fairly cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top