Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:57:30 AM EDT
Is anyone here familiar with the laws pertaining to CCW in the Eaglecap wilderness in Eastern Oregon.
Me, my wife & the dogs backpack this area often during the summer and and have finally decided to start carrying and am not quite sure what is acceptable as far a CCW is concerned.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 9:04:14 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]
If you have a permit, then go for it. If not, wear it on a belt.
CH

OH and weelcome to the board.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:38:12 AM EDT
Thanks for the speedy reply and the welcome CH.
So if I use a Safepacker on a belt (or attached to the backpack), do you think that would be classified as "open-carry" or do I need to use a more traditional holster? I think the safepacker would be great for backpacking.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:38:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
If you have a permit, then go for it. If not, wear it on a belt.
CH

OH and weelcome to the board.

+1 I generally open carry up there [anywhere]. I'm pretty sure state laws supercede the federal laws in this case but you could call to be sure.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:51:47 AM EDT
Thanks Patty,
I did just find this under the ODFW rules & regs;

"There are no Oregon Department of Fish and
Wildlife administrative rules that restrict the
right to carry or have in your possession a
firearm at any time. You may not hunt with that
firearm unless regulations for the area and type
of hunt in which you are participating allow you
to do so."

Hell , I see people up in the EC open-carrying all the time, I feel kinda left out
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:05:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kayook:
Thanks Patty,

to do so."

Hell , I see people up in the EC open-carrying all the time, I feel kinda left out

Kewl! You can be one of the cool kids now! Seriously I wouldn't go up in the EC's with out open carry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:29:22 AM EDT
Dont know about laws but........
In my personal experience you can have anything thats legal anywhere on you in the woods.

Ive been stopped by forest rangers and cops while shooting (just asking what we were up to) and have had a pistol on a holster, in a backpack, one in each hand whichever. They dont really seem to care since you can shoot just about anywhere anyway. They didnt even bring up papers, gun registration or concealed permits. Just a friendly out plinkin? and thats it.

Course I am not saying for sure its ok, I think someone else may have posted it is though.

We do carry a .45 in a backpack every time we go camping, for the last 17 years or so. (incase of bears or whatever) seems to be the norm for most people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:31:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:

Thanks Patty,

to do so."

Kewl! You can be one of the cool kids now! Seriously I wouldn't go up in the EC's with out open carry.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:45:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

Thanks Patty,

to do so."

www.nonstick.com/sounds/Elmer.gif

Good point. Elmer is better!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:20:56 PM EDT
...is it wabbit season yet, heh, heh.

Actually we have never carried in all the years we've packed into the Caps (we like to pack ultra-light), but after our Aug 05 trip up East Eagle we have decided to rectify this possible mistake.

We had a close (enough), encounter with a huge black bear that was exciting but it made me think that it's time that I upgrade from my Gerber LMF II (also a great excuse to get a new compact). I did get some great photo's out of the trip though.

btw, this was also in the ODFW regs;

"Can I shoot a bear or cougar in self-defense
with a firearm while in the field at a time
when it is not legal for me to be hunting
with that firearm?"

"Yes. However, you cannot tag or keep any black
bear or cougar killed for human safety reasons
during a time when it is not legal for you to be
hunting."

That's good to know!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
You can carry a concealed weapon if you are

"166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition."

Just get a fishing liscence and pack a small trout pole.

I usually pack when I fish. Mostly for four-legged critters (bears, cougars), but the tweakers are becoming more and more prevalent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:55:59 PM EDT
Well that works for me, I just happen to have a fishing license and I usually bring my Ugly Stick depending on where we are backpacking to.

Thanks ko67!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:28:45 PM EDT
No one would know if I was carrying or not!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:37:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ko67:
You can carry a concealed weapon if you are

"166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition."

Just get a fishing liscence and pack a small trout pole.

I usually pack when I fish. Mostly for four-legged critters (bears, cougars), but the tweakers are becoming more and more prevalent.

You forgot to add:

(1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

So, either bring your fishing pole, or get a CHL. I'd opt for the CHL whenever possible, as it gives you more freedom even when you aren't hunting or fishing.

Just my $0.02...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT
I totally agree.

Getting a CHL is the best thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 1:20:26 AM EDT by Anarx]
This is good info to know.. i've been really thinking about backpacking agian.. have allready been doing the research on gear and such..

Kay where are you located at? perhaps we could get togather and talk about some good trails and such..

Jess

*ETA: if your willing to go the NFA route i feel that for protection agenst game in the wild a SBS 12ga would probably be the best bet.. i really dont think that a Big Black bear is going feel a 45 very well.. and if he does he will be pissed off... but really unless they where really afriad or allready pissed off at you a loud nosie is going to do the trick most of the time...*
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:38 AM EDT

I'm pretty sure state laws supercede the federal laws in this case but you could call to be sure.

Patty

I think it's the other way around... Fed law trumps state law as long as the Fed's fund it.... i.e., the 55mph fed law (now obsolete), Interstate hwys, no firearms in national parks, 94 AWB (gone as well), 86 MGB, etc...

As already mentioned, you can have an arm in the national forest if it is legal for you to do so and you follow the law regarding it's carry and use.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:51 PM EDT
Jess,
Umatilla County, heart of the EO desert.
We do the majority of our backpacking in the Eagle Caps. You can't go wrong with any of the trails you pick (other than difficulty).
You might avoid the Lakes Basin trail unless you wait till Sept & hit it during mid-week (it can get crowded).
We noticed this year that the Eagle Ck trail (Boulder Park), was getting rather crowded also. One of my fav camp sites on this trail has been taken over by a guide service that basically sets up a canvas "tent resort" then brings in clients on horses. They "claim" this area most of the summer, leaving the tents and sometimes garbage...I'll start ranting if I stay on that subject (oop's too late)'hing
Shoot me whatever trail questions you have.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT

Thanks for the speedy reply and the welcome CH.
So if I use a Safepacker on a belt (or attached to the backpack), do you think that would be classified as "open-carry" or do I need to use a more traditional holster? I think the safepacker would be great for backpacking.

In regards to open carry without a CHL.

*Not Legal advice*

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 11:15:18 PM EDT by Orygunman]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 9:31:36 PM EDT by Orygunman]

(2) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Members of any club or organization, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon the established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using any of the firearms referred to in ORS 166.250 upon such target ranges, or while going to and from such ranges.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

(3) The exceptions listed in subsection (1)(b) to (h) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating ORS 166.250. [Amended by 1977 c.207 §1; 1991 c.67 §36; 1993 c.735 §1; 1995 c.670 §2; 1999 c.1040 §3]
Top Top