Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 8:42:45 AM EDT
I just got back from a prairie dog hunt in New Mexico with my buddy Mike, his wife and their neice.  

Here's the synopsis:

Well, today was the last day of the prairie dog hunt, and we had a BLAST!!  We didn't see as many of the boogers as the guide usually says they see, but all in all, in two days, I bet I killed about 100 of them.  Got about a dozen rabbits, and about 20-30 burrowing owls.  Basically, if it moved and wasn't a cow or eagle, we killed it.  Mike probably got about 10-30% more than I got, as his rifle was a little more versatile (see below) I'll get some pics sized and such when I get home.

The new rifle did real well!  To anything within 100 yards, it's like a death ray.  It's so accurate, it's stupid.  I don't think I missed a shot within 100 yards.  Now, at longer ranges, it opens up.  Drop and windage start taking effect quickly, though I did get kills probably out to 220 yards.

Mike was using a 16" AR in .223 with Black Hills 50gr AMax loads.  I am pretty sure he scored multiple kills out to 300-400 yards.  .223 is a great round for p-dogs.  Charlie, I bet your .204 would kick ass!  The .22s the women were using did pretty well, even out to just beyond 100 yards.  Mike's 12 year old neice was getting deadly with that 10/22!

We did a little work off of the bench (the guide had a trailer with an elevated platform about 6' off the ground with two benches that rotated 360 degrees, and a collapsable roof for shade.  It was an amazing peice of work!) but the best fun was shooting from the truck.  Moving around got us to different areas where the dogs dug in.  Sometimes we'd get as close as 50 yards, with the occasional suicidal dog popping up even closer.  The guide had a great idea by using those swimming pool noodles cut on one side to slide over the edge of his windows.  The provided a good rest, and it was easy to adjust the height!   Overall, our guide was extremely friendly, very accomodating and very flexible.  I don't think we could have had a better host.

I went through about 800 rounds total.  Oh, I also picked up a Taurus Tracker in 22lr (4" revolver).  Only got about 70 rounds through it, and only one rabbit and one owl killed.  It's a pretty nice little revolver.  I think Mike shot near 1000 rounds.  I still have about 1500 rounds of .17 left, so I'll just hang on to it until next year.

Here's my ugly mug with my beautiful rifle (Marlin 917VS, 17HMR)

Pics are here!

sorry, hit 'Edit' instead of 'quote' button...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Why did you shoot the owls?

As a bird of prey, they ARE protected species.  I would NOT be talking about this...P-dogs are fine as are rabbits etc. but touching an owl is bad juju.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
nice!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I am soooooooo jealous.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool!  I have been thinking about just that very thing for some time now.  What outfit provided the guide service?  Prices?  Accomodations?  Cough up the details!

It is good to see Mike is still around.  He doesn't hang out here anymore...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Keith,

The guide says they always shoot owls out there.  They're very plentiful in the area.  He and the other guide that work around there.  They're not super serious straight up professional guides.  They do it on the side, and have done it for years.  We trusted what they told us.

The guide we used frequents the Texas Predator Posse website, and goes by Bozo Wise.  He's a great guy, very easy going and accommodating.

I highly recommend trying a prairie dog hunt.  Mike's AR performed very well, so most of you guys could just take an AR.  I was very happy with my 17HMR, but I really stretched it's legs!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keith,

The guide says they always shoot owls out there.  They're very plentiful in the area.  He and the other guide that work around there.  They're not super serious straight up professional guides.  They do it on the side, and have done it for years.  We trusted what they told us.

The guide we used frequents the Texas Predator Posse website, and goes by Bozo Wise.  He's a great guy, very easy going and accommodating.

I highly recommend trying a prairie dog hunt.  Mike's AR performed very well, so most of you guys could just take an AR.  I was very happy with my 17HMR, but I really stretched it's legs!

www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/images/22-250.jpg

TRG

You'd slaughter some 'dogs with that bad boy!  Suppressors are nice, but not really neccessary... gunfire doesn't seem to scare the little bastards.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
"owl?"  I thought he said "ouch."  I'm sure that's what he said.  And if he did say "Owl", I'm sure the owl was trying to kill him.  

R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top