Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 5:09:58 PM EDT
Tagged a moving antelope (pronghorn) in the head from ~280 yards, yesterday, with a 180 grain Nosler Partition from my Steyr Scout .308.  The bullet went in behind the right eye and exited the forehead. It never took another step.
Sorry, didn't have a camera or cell phone with me for a pic but the head's in the freezer and the carcass is at the processor's.
This was my first antelope hunt and my three hunting buddies tagged out as well. Didn't see any doves, but we'll try again in a couple of weeks. After that, deer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!!  Nice shot man.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice shooting! Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice shooting! Congrats!

Congrats!!!

I bet you were hunting somewhere in the SE part of the state.  I've seen hundreds of those goats during my travels this year.

Post a dinner pic of a goat steak and a set of devillish horns on your table.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
We got lucky and drew a private ranch hunt, 24k acres around Lovelace, NM. The rancher told us that many record trophy antelope come from his land.
There was a group of out-of-state, guided hunters there as well. Glad we didn't have to pay the big bucks that they did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Not trying to be a smartass, were you aiming at his head? Iron sights or scope? 280 yards out. Man, its hard to get close to 'em isn't it? Lived in Wyoming for 8 years, used to chase them on my dirtbike. Antelope are like prairie dogs up there... H.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
There's nothing smartass about that question.
I was aiming at his head but did misjudge the range a bit. Thought it was 300 yards or a little more. My scope is only 2.3x but it was enough.
I, too, used to chase speed goats on a dirt bike the family ranches around Hayden, NM. That's the only way i could ever get close them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top