Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2008 11:48:48 PM EDT
I don't know if this has already been brought up on the hometown forum, but i'm curious what everyone carries or plans to carry as part of their bug out gear. Pix are always welcome on arfcom, but please post with taste, i.e. keep your ninjestic malling threads in the closet
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I do have one thing I haven't been able to sufficently answer. It was discussed in the SF, but not resolved.

Water. How do you guys deal with water in the winter? I like to keep a gallon or two in the trunks, but pretty soon it will be frozen solid. I like to give my self a 3-day range in a GHB. I need water, but I don't want to rely on gathering enough from the office before heading out.

I have thought about including a petcock key and steal water like a hobo from office buildings, but over half of the 16 miles home is residential.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You could always learn to drink your own pee.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know if this has already been brought up on the hometown forum, but i'm curious what everyone carries or plans to carry as part of their bug out gear. Pix are always welcome on arfcom, but please post with taste, i.e. keep your ninjestic malling threads in the closet

I have a Blackhawk STOMP pack that holds a decent amount of gear.  A lot of it depends on how you plan on bugging out.  I have quite a few smaller packs with ammo, med supplies and energy bars that I can grab depending on my needs.  Also have a few SA Battlepacks which are handy.  It all depends on how bad the SHTF as well.  Mostly I plan on becoming the Omega Man.

SOB-I have a get home bag with a water bladder attached.  Depending on how big yours is, just bring it in from your car every night.  That way it won't freeze.  Throw it in your trunk when you go to work and take it out.  Mine looks like a hiker's backpack with water bladder so it is very lo-pro.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...SOB-I have a get home bag with a water bladder attached.  Depending on how big yours is, just bring it in from your car every night.  That way it won't freeze.  Throw it in your trunk when you go to work and take it out...

That was something I thought about, but it has a pretty high failure point. Me.

The frozen water doesn't bother me, it won't bust the bladder. But an easy way to melt it quickly would be good. I thought about plastic water bottles and a hiking stove... but I don't carry a hiking stove in a three day pack.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#5]
MRE heaters are cheap and plentiful.  I keep about a dozen in each car.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
There was an interesting thread on the outdoors section regarding staying lo-vis during civil crises; for what it's worth, what do you guys plan on carrying in your BOG, have you already made preparations to blend in with the flocking sheeples? I've seen people talk/use guitar and tennis racket cases as a means to conceal their primaries, just don't know how effective or practical that may be in a mass exodus.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Re: water -- starting a fire isn't all that hard if you're near the woods.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
From my time in MN, I have found that when it is cold there is frozen waterof some form usually available. Perhaps think more along the lines of melt and purify. That fails, think Vodka..

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
From my time in MN, I have found that when it is cold there is frozen waterof some form usually available. Perhaps think more along the lines of melt and purify. That fails, think Vodka..

Yeah, I assume when we're talking MN in the winter, that water is plentiful and white and frosty. Throw some in a pot and melt it and then boil it. It takes a lot of snow to make a pot of water!

If boiling water/cooking over an open fire isn't something you know how to do, you should learn -- it's not that hard but takes some practice and is much harder if you're cold/hungry/thirsty/hiding/being shot at/surviving.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There was an interesting thread on the outdoors section regarding staying lo-vis during civil crises; for what it's worth, what do you guys plan on carrying in your BOG, have you already made preparations to blend in with the flocking sheeples? I've seen people talk/use guitar and tennis racket cases as a means to conceal their primaries, just don't know how effective or practical that may be in a mass exodus.

I plan on bugging in because I can't effectively get past the 2 million sheep standing in my way.  If I end up bugging out, it is because it will have become so bad that society will have already reached a major breaking point.  At that point, I will not be concerned with concealing my bug out gear or weapons.

The other option would be some sort of FEMA organized "retreat" in which I would either have time to orderly pack my vehicle (1 hour would get me a LOT of gear packed as much of it is GTG) or I would tell FEMA to F-off and stay bugged in until ACTUAL zombies started coming up the street.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top