Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/20/2013 3:42:26 PM EDT
I have a few NFA items and I've never had an issue getting Sheriff Tracy, the Utah county sheriff to sign my paperwork. I go by today and apparently he requires a certified letter from the BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigations) that my background is clear. The front desk officer made it sound like Sheriff Tracy was forced to do this by the BCI. This was new to me so I called the BCI.

They claim that they can only issue the letter in person, I have a Utah CCW and I ask if there is some way they can run my info like when I buy a gun and then mail me the certified letter? No, it can only be done in person. So I drive up to Taylorsville and get my letter. It is standard boilerplate, So and so can own NFA items. I ask them if the letter is valid for a certain period of time, maybe 6 months because I have another transfer coming in a month. Nope, have to get a new letter for every transfer. What about if I lived in St. George? You'd have to drive up and get the letter.

I'm curious where the BCI is getting the authority to force them to do background checks for county/city government. Why isn't the process streamlined like with a CCW where they mail you the info. Why not a phone line to call in and check? It drove me nuts to have to drive 2 hours to satisfy some bureaucratic division that I feel is overstepping their bounds.

Anyone have any insight on this? I'm sure there is a juicy backstory. Also, if there is some legislative code that does give the BCI authority I'd like to get it changed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's just your Sheriff putting up roadblocks for NFA owners.

My Sheriff signs off on everything without the background check nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
See, I don't think that is it. The SLC guys have had to get the letter for the last couple years. I went last March and he signed papers no problem. Here's the little sign they have, it seems clear that BCI is forcing him to do it.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/421/bciutahcheck.jpg

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That's odd.

Why would BCI require only SLC area people to go through this?

I would contact BCI and ask for something documenting this policy and the reasoning for it in writing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they want it statewide but the sheriffs are not so game. When I talked to BCI they basically said, "We have jurisdiction over this magic letter and you must come to us for the letter." I think Sheriff Tracy got tired of them harassing him about it and figured he'd go along. The SLC sheriff has done it for a while probably for the same reason. If you live in SLC/Utah counties it's not too miserable to drive up and get the letter.

I just want to figure out how they claim jurisdiction over this and if they are right or wrong. I suspect it's just an agency overstepping their bounds but I'm not sure how to get them to talk to me. When I talked with them two times (once on the phone, once in person) they were very abrupt and just gave yes/no answers. No one seemed willing to explain the policy to me or cite the legislative reasons. I get the feeling if I write them asking for a statement they'll just dump my letter in the trash.

I'm taking my forms today to be signed and included a few questions that hopefully the sheriff will answer. We'll see.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, for the sake of the people searching on this in the future here's the resolution. I'd like to point out that Sheriff Tracy was incredibly nice and called numerous state offices tracking down this information. I don't feel a Sheriff should have to waste his time with BS like this but he's a good man and did.

1) Utah state says the BCI check is more comprehensive than what the sheriff's office can do. They can search for things on a national level. Utah state has requested that LEO get the BCI check before signing paperwork. I still haven't found anyone who can cite what authority they have to do that.

2) There is a process in place for people who live far away from SLC (ie St. George). It's not automatic and you probably have to ask twice but you can give a signed authorization for the LEO to request your info and BCI will send the magic letter directly to the LEO. Utah is a closed records state which is why *you* have to get your info.

3) The letter you get from the BCI is really only good for a few days. He explained that you may have committed some other crimes between the date of the letter and the date of the signoff so you have a week or so to get your letter to the LEO signing it.

Those are the facts I got from the Sheriff himself. Personally I think it's just a waste of time since NFA stuff is going through a federal check anyway but it is what it is. I asked about why they can't do a check on your Utah CFP like when you buy a gun and he agreed that it was bizarre they didn't have that process in place.

It's frustrating that the bureaucracy is so thick now in Utah County but maybe if they get rid of the LEO signoff it will all be moot.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent info, thanks for your legwork on this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to get BCI letter last year for Weber County.
PITA
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't want to deal with this crap so I set up a gun trust. No need for LEO signature. You guys should look into this
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
And why do people still resist getting an NFA trust formed?  It's the best 500 bucks spent.  No sign off from CLEO for anything anymore with an NFA trust.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm. I've gotten sign offs in Cache and Millard counties and never had an issue. Of course, that was all a few years ago.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top