Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im planning on it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We’re here and rucking up. If you’re here, hopefully we’ll bump into you!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Philmore and I had a good time hiking around the park and reading up on the history of what happened there 239 years ago. We only did one lap, so maybe 3 miles walked at a leisurely pace.

We will definitely need to do this one again when it's nicer and there isn't a pandemic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a good time.  First time there.  It’s interesting and inspiring learning about the sacrifices and bravery there.  Seeing the ground.  It was a very hot spot.

Good day for it.  Come on out folks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Got out running yesterday with some push ups and sit ups.  Not my usual thing.  The time/numbers were pathetic, and I am feeling like waffle stomped shit today.  Nothing like a low mark to improve upon.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got out running yesterday with some push ups and sit ups.  Not my usual thing.  The time/numbers were pathetic, and I am feeling like waffle stomped shit today.  Nothing like a low mark to improve upon.
View Quote

This is a damned good video from Prager U and Jocko Willink to keep you going.

Discipline = Freedom | 5 Minute Video
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a hike planned for the 29th? I can't seem to find the thread now but I'm off on that day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a hike planned for the 29th? I can't seem to find the thread now but I'm off on that day.
View Quote
There can be.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There can be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There can be.
@2apatriot, thread is in GD and linked in the OP here.

COME ON OUT, FOLKS! This is the time to get to know each other IRL.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump to remind everyone this is still on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE

We will be under a "shelter in place" ruling effective 5pm Friday; however, there is an allowance for hiking in the ruling, so we are a GO for the hike. If 10 or more show, we will just split into 2 groups.

We will also be working on maintaining our proper tactical intervals of at least 6ft between us.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
How do we justify our travel?
Is it considered non essential?

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Wording from City website:  
“To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, golfing, running, cycling, or using the greenways. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas. However, playgrounds may increase spread of COVID-19 and, therefore, shall be closed.”

If you are coming to the greenway for a hike, as far as I can see  that is permitted under “may go to public parks...”

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last nite nor am I a lawyer.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wording from City website:  
“To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, golfing, running, cycling, or using the greenways. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas. However, playgrounds may increase spread of COVID-19 and, therefore, shall be closed.”

If you are coming to the greenway for a hike, as far as I can see  that is permitted under “may go to public parks...”

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last nite nor am I a lawyer.  
View Quote

That's how I read it.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#16]
BUMP
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump.  Anyone in?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bump.  Anyone in?
View Quote

Seems like almost every one has said no. Which I can understand as everyone is concerned over getting the China Virus and bringing it home.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Based on the lack of turn out do to the China Virus, we will be suspending these until the shelter in place order is lifted.

However, I would highly recommend still getting out, even if we’re not meeting up to do it. Getting outside and exercising do wonders for your mood.

If anyone DOES want to meet up, or if you guys need help with anything during this time, post up in here and we'll do whatever we can.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody else still getting out there?

50lb ruck

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]
My exercise yesterday involved trees and a chainsaw. . .that's pioneering right?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My exercise yesterday involved trees and a chainsaw. . .that's pioneering right?
View Quote

Hell yeah it is!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Advice from Ben in another thread:

"You all are starting to pick up more people, right?

I'd look at this point into breaking into as many local groups of 3 or more as is feasible.

A group of three guys a 20 or 30 minute drive from each other can randomly get together and do a quick hike without much preplanning. With all the virus stuff going around, all the better still.

Then try to make larger hikes a once a month, bimonthly, or quarterly thing and bring as many folks together as possible.  This encourages the smaller groups to grow, forces them to become more intimate with each other, and prevents people from burning out over driving far often.

Your small three man groups can still train together- do COMMEXs where a hike is conducted and then you attempt to make radio contact with another group who is hiking elsewhere same day.

HF comm skills would be really helpful here."

Thoughts? Ideas?

I've also thought we should start a thread for all the NC Battle Buddy Troops to share info. You want to turn this one into it, or start a new one?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe we should do a online group webinar type thing with Q and A as well?

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Advice from Ben in another thread:

"You all are starting to pick up more people, right?

I'd look at this point into breaking into as many local groups of 3 or more as is feasible.

A group of three guys a 20 or 30 minute drive from each other can randomly get together and do a quick hike without much preplanning. With all the virus stuff going around, all the better still.

Then try to make larger hikes a once a month, bimonthly, or quarterly thing and bring as many folks together as possible.  This encourages the smaller groups to grow, forces them to become more intimate with each other, and prevents people from burning out over driving far often.

Your small three man groups can still train together- do COMMEXs where a hike is conducted and then you attempt to make radio contact with another group who is hiking elsewhere same day.

HF comm skills would be really helpful here."

Thoughts? Ideas?

I've also thought we should start a thread for all the NC Battle Buddy Troops to share info. You want to turn this one into it, or start a new one?
View Quote

Let's use this thread.

I'm in Alamance county which is smack dab between Raleigh and Greensboro. I can coordinate a group here; Lacking military experience I will yield that role to anyone in the area with the proper bonafides.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe we should do a online group webinar type thing with Q and A as well?

View Quote

If someone else knows how to do this I'd be down to participate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Tagscribing
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Everybody staying active?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Out yesterday at for 3.2 miles with girlfriend.  Getting her out with me is good for both of us!
Just got in from approx 3 miles at CG Hill park in Pfafftown.  
Nice park.  
Planning on a longer hike/ruck someday this week when I have to take off some.  

Helps with the stir crazy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Out today - 6.1 miles
Math say 14.1 minutes per mile.  
Minimal weight for me tho.  Kudos to you guys rucking 40-50 lbs.
Paved surface around neighborhood with a few moderate inclines.  Nothing strenuous.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Good deal!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Took the kids and wife out last night for a 3 mile walk. 55 minutes, which wasn't bad for having the kids with us.

I need to up the weight in my ruck since I'm not wearing the PC around the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Tonight's ruck:
Attachment Attached File

I weighed the ruck at 71.5lbs when I got done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow!  That’s some solid work man!  

Good weather to be put in and exercising.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wow!  That’s some solid work man!  

Good weather to be put in and exercising.
View Quote

When I started, I wanted to get 6 miles in.

That idea left when I was already huffing and puffing at the top of the first hill
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
NoVa Battle Buddies are doing a comms event. I'm tagging it to see what/how they are doing it to see if it's something we could do as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NoVa Battle Buddies are doing a comms event. I'm tagging it to see what/how they are doing it to see if it's something we could do as well.
View Quote

I need to get up and running on this. Does anyone know if there's an idiot's guide to getting set up on comms from scratch on Arfcom or anywhere else?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I need to get up and running on this. Does anyone know if there's an idiot's guide to getting set up on comms from scratch on Arfcom or anywhere else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define "set up from scratch"

@jdsbusa and @UH_SALT_RIFLE seem to know what they are doing, and will be in charge of Troop 556's commo training.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@jdsbusa and @UH_SALT_RIFLE seem to know what they are doing, and will be in charge of Troop 556's commo training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no equipment and not even sure exactly what I need to get
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the party, pal!

I do have one of those Baofengs, so I have that going for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I finally picked up a basic Baofeng  UV-5R.  Haven’t messed with it much so I’m looking forward to learning the ropes.

I miss the rucks.  Working on adding some weight around here and trying to keep pace.  Need a better app on the phone for it.

Hope you guys are doing well and staying healthy.  Hang in there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I finally picked up a basic Baofeng  UV-5R.  Haven’t messed with it much so I’m looking forward to learning the ropes.

I miss the rucks.  Working on adding some weight around here and trying to keep pace.  Need a better app on the phone for it.

Hope you guys are doing well and staying healthy.  Hang in there.
View Quote

Start here with some ham stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Ran 3.2 miles in 29:54, then put the ruck on and walked it in 49:27.

I'm tired.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I got in a good hike this evening.  Little over 4 miles.  Maintained an average 14 minute pace.
Good evening for it.  Nothing earth shattering but good exercise.  

Hope folks are getting out and about.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Starting to come out of quarantine.

Anyone else itching to get a good hike in?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
Starting to come out of quarantine.

Anyone else itching to get a good hike in?
View Quote

This weekend and next are out for me....maybe something for Memorial Day weekend though?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:

This weekend and next are out for me....maybe something for Memorial Day weekend though?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PhillyandBCEagles:
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
Starting to come out of quarantine.

Anyone else itching to get a good hike in?

This weekend and next are out for me....maybe something for Memorial Day weekend though?

I could work with that. We'll have to see how others feel about it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#48]
This morning would've been perfect hiking weather unfortunately, around 40 here in Charlotte at 10 am. Probably gonna be just a little bit warmer than that for the foreseeable future!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#49]
We are definitely going to be getting into hot weather from here on out.

That just adds to the misery
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Run n Gun 5k in Clinton, SC a month from now...looks like they also have a team event in NC in September

https://thegunrun.us/collections/tickets/products/the-gun-run-5k-race-ticket-june-13th-2020
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top