Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 5:10:43 PM EDT
Is it legal for a civ to own a auto knife? Just curious, I found one for a good price, and the seller is telling me it's legal. I just wanted to double check with you guys.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
For carry, typically, NO.  Howerver, check your local laws; you may be able to own one as a collector (for collection).
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I would want to carry it, not look at it I guess i'll stick to my non auto Benchmade. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
In WA, no it's not.

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.

Every person who:

(1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, thats what I needed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
a gross misdermeanor???

Doesnt it have to at least be a felony, if you get caught and convicted to really count???

ETA:

RCW 9A.20.021
 (2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

1 year or $5000.00 or both???

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1 year or $5000.00 or both???

Expensive knife!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
that's only if they take you alive!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The Emerson Wave is perfectly legal and absolutely the way to go. I own maybe 10 automatics, these all require fine motor skills under pressure- some even with 'safety' mechanisms.

The Wave is deployed merely by pulling them out of your pocket. They also have a BladeTech Kydex tactical deployment sheath platform.

Here's the poor man's version   http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/speedkngoshin.htm

I prefer the real deal.

Doc @ M&A Parts
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If a smallish knife fits your needs, try a Kershaw Whirlwind. 80% spring assisted opening. Very handy, light and faster'n fuck!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
WA had some onerous knife laws.  Seattle limits blade length to 3 or 3 1/2 inches.  I figured that out AFTER I bought an 806D2.  9.41.250 can be read to outlaw any knife that can be "flipped" open
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WA had some onerous knife laws.  Seattle limits blade length to 3 or 3 1/2 inches.  I figured that out AFTER I bought an 806D2.  9.41.250 can be read to outlaw any knife that can be "flipped" open

SMC 12A.14.010  Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this chapter:

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

I agree that 9.41.250 can be read to outlaw any knife that can be fliipped open and most definitely any mechanically assisted knife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top