Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2008 1:16:10 PM EDT
i lost my job thursday with ford in Vidalia, i have a job interview at bobby jones ford on tuesday morning. long story short they need diesel techs and that's what i do, anyways i've never been to Augusta, if i do take the job, what areas to stay away from guys? we are just a middle class, blue collar family and schools and such are very important with my youngest son having autism. i've got a couple of options on work, i have a jam-up offer in wyoming, but it COLD out there, just trying to make the right choice for my family, thanks in advance guys
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to look at Columbia county.
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As with any area the size of Augusta there are areas to avoid.

I have a friend that lives across the state line in N. Augusta and it's a very nice place. You might want to give that area a look.

TD
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with treedawg n.augusta has some very nice areas and a lower cost af living, on the other hand if you wish to stay in ga. columbia cty is the way to go, I got out of the mil. 18yrs ago lived 2 yrs in richmond cty and then moved to columbia cty much nicer less crime better schools (have 3 children) overall it is the better place to be
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely look into Columbia county. especially evans and martinez
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
lived my whole life in Augusta. its gone down the shitter. Columbia Cty. is much nicer. better schools(elem/mid/high), better stores, better people, and much of it is still undeveloped. Augusta has its good sides though. I live in the same house that I was born in. my elementary/middle schoo was 1.5 miles away. my highschool(ARC) was within biking distance. and my college(ASU) is within walking distance. in Columbia Cty. things are more spread out. if you have any questions just IM me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys, i'll keep you fellows posted
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You might be working a few miles from my house.  Some of the parts of Richmond county that border Columbia county are nice, I still live in richmond Co.  Schoolwise Columbia county is better, may also want to look into parts of Grovetown which is not far from where you are looking at.

Link Posted: 12/12/2008 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Grovetown/Harlem area is cheaper than the Evans area in Columbia County and is a good alternative to ones who don't have big $$$ to throw around.  Grovetown has a new high school opening next fall and it'll probably be pretty decent.  Lakeside, Greenbrier, and Evans have typically been the more desirable zones to be in;  but the population shift westward in Columbia County has been diluting the differences.

I wouldn't even consider living in Richmond County my friend.  I lived and worked there for years and had to go when the kids came along.  Much of rural south Richmond County is still okay if you don't have kids that will be in government schools.  The school system is the main detriment to living in Richmond County.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Grovetown/Harlem area is cheaper than the Evans area in Columbia County and is a good alternative to ones who don't have big $$$ to throw around.  Grovetown has a new high school opening next fall and it'll probably be pretty decent.  Lakeside, Greenbrier, and Evans have typically been the more desirable zones to be in;  but the population shift westward in Columbia County has been diluting the differences.

I wouldn't even consider living in Richmond County my friend.  I lived and worked there for years and had to go when the kids came along.  Much of rural south Richmond County is still okay if you don't have kids that will be in government schools.  The school system is the main detriment to living in Richmond County.

the schools are very important to us and i feel giulty that i can't send my kids to private school, so my wife and i try to find the best area we can afford to live in for those school zones. i'll pick up some papers while i'm there so i can see what rent will be like for us. Speedway ford has made an offer in griffin, but that store is on fords cutback list like the one i just left. guys it's scary out there, very little work load at the dealers, many layoffs and people lossing their jods. i just pray i can find something asap

Link Posted: 12/13/2008 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
with the schools being the most important part columbia cty would be the best bet, when you are ready to visit Augusa let one of us know and we could show you around or lend advice as to the schools and neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
with the schools being the most important part columbia cty would be the best bet, when you are ready to visit Augusa let one of us know and we could show you around or lend advice as to the schools and neighborhoods.

thank you, and i will need the help. i'll be up tuesday morning for the interview, i'll keep things posted
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd take Wyoming personally. Cold is relative.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd take Wyoming personally. Cold is relative.http://www.scheiderer.com/photo/mountain_2.jpg

Having spent time in CO and MT living out there has some down points.  Everything being a 30/45/60/90min drive gets annoying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
As compared to the 45-60 minute commute to go 15 miles to work?
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#15]
or Augusta!

Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Dont make me go there and take a picture of The Pothole, I think its still there, you would dump 3 cars and 100 bodies in that thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dont make me go there and take a picture of The Pothole, I think its still there, you would dump 3 cars and 100 bodies in that thing.

and never underestimate tax's body count.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and never underestimate tax's body count.

Or his ability to harness large quantities of free coca-cola.
Link Posted: 12/14/2008 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You might be working a few miles from my house.  

There you go! The place to stay away from!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 1:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might be working a few miles from my house.  

There you go! The place to stay away from!!!!

anyone with a ammo fort and hundreds of free colas has got to be good people

Link Posted: 12/15/2008 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#21]
ETD
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#22]
i just got back from Bobby Jones ford and i accepted the job there, i'll be starting on the 29th of this month. from what i can tell they are good people. they will be helping with the move and putting me in a hotel until we can find a place to rent. i do need you guys input and help on were to move to and areas to stay away from. i have nothing going on until then so can i ask someone from the augusta area to meet me and show me the area please. today was the first time i've been there, i drove around some and looked around, went to north augusta while driving, very nice place. anyways i do need you guys help please with the area, thanks again
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Congrats!!! You will be able to take a vacation day here and there...right?
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn man I still would have went for the Wyoming gig. At least you and the wife now know and can plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Congrats!!! You will be able to take a vacation day here and there...right?

that shouldn't be a problem, Doug thanks again for your help
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn man I still would have went for the Wyoming gig. At least you and the wife now know and can plan accordingly.

they offered the same money and the moving help as wyoming, and without the -10 degree days, it's just gonna suck for 2 more weeks without an income, i honestly feel blessed to get the job in augusta, most ford dealers are laying off/ cutting back right now

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the area........check your email.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#28]
glad to have you in the area!
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#29]
e-mails sent back fellows, thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#30]
You know when I come visit you can take me out for Pizza...Taxman knows the place.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You know when I come visit you can take me out for Pizza...Taxman knows the place.

consider it done
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Im off on Wed/Thurs most weeks, if you have questions and such let me know

706-910-9935 thats my cell
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad you found a new job.

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Im off on Wed/Thurs most weeks, if you have questions and such let me know

706-910-9935 thats my cell

i'll be in touch

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

thanks, now for the part i dread, moving

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks, now for the part i dread, moving

Let us know when you get here.  I'm sure some of us could give you a hand or two if we're free.  I'd be glad to help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#37]
UPDATE   guys i'll be moving the weekend of the 31st of this month, we found a rental home in Martinez off of flowing wells rd and columbia rd, literally across from Martinez elementary school, any help would be appreciated. i do have have help loading up in Vidalia, unloading not so much. one of the guys at work has volunteered to help, so that's one. looking forward to meeting more of you guys in the augusta area
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 5:03:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
guys i'll be moving the weekend of the 31st of this month, we found a rental home in Martinez off of flowing wells rd and columbia rd, literally across from Martinez elementary school, any help would be appreciated. i do have have help loading up in Vidalia, unloading not so much. one of the guys at work has volunteered to help, so that's one. looking forward to meeting more of you guys in the augusta area

I use to live right near there and I think my brother went to school at Martinez Elementary.

We used to go to Columbia Square when they still had the Roses stores. There was also a neat movie theatre there. I haven't been there in years and I'm sure that Martinez has grown.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
UPDATE   guys i'll be moving the weekend of the 31st of this month, we found a rental home in Martinez off of flowing wells rd and columbia rd, literally across from Martinez elementary school, any help would be appreciated. i do have have help loading up in Vidalia, unloading not so much. one of the guys at work has volunteered to help, so that's one. looking forward to meeting more of you guys in the augusta area

Depending on the day I may be of some use, maybe I'll even have my handtruck back by then.  

Im going to give you a warning though a friend of mine used to live in nearly that exact location and getting in and out of your driveway can be a PITA at certain times, try to leave before school traffic because it backs up bad right there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#40]
i think the 31st is a saturday, and we will be loading up as soon as i can get the u-haul to the house, my wife and i are packing everything we can before so alls we have to do is load and roll on. i'm hoping to be in augusta middle afternoon and then get unloaded from there. i hate moving so i hope we can stay put for a while
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#41]
if i dont have soccer at that time, then i'd be more than happy to help you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Odds are I wont be of much use sadly, I'll probaly be at work be the time you get here.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
taxman, whatever happened to the LaRue drawing you won? you got the upper yet?
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
taxman, whatever happened to the LaRue drawing you won? you got the upper yet?

Not yet, I expect everyone being at SHOT threw a delay in there as well, I also need to order me a nice optic
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#45]
i agree that Columbia county is the way to go. I have lived here for 6 years and love it. Grovetown is the cheapest by far as for real estate. Located close to post. I live out in Evans and if it was not for the kids wanting to stay in Evans schools i would have bought a home in Grovetown(thousands cheaper for the same size home) Fort Gordon is home to a new NSA site and it is huge!! should be getting a lot of jobs opening there once the complex is completed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
update:

hey guys, will be moving in on the 31st of this month, should be there by 3 in the afternoon; sooner if i can help it. i'm providing food and drinks if you want to come help. finances aren't what it used to be with everything that's been going on so I hope you guys will be cool with a cookout. i figured it would be a good way to meet everyone and get this unloading crap over with at the same time! my cell # is 478-993-6533. give me a call if you can/want to help. thanks again everyone!

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#47]
i have soccer at 12 saturday. should last for about 2 hours. ill definately come and help you out afterwards. ill call saturday once im done to make sure my help is still needed. not looking to get anything out of it, but a burger would be nice
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#48]
any of you guys that want to stop by saturday night, i'll be happy to throw some burgers and dogs your way, bring your own beer
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Vagrancy Mall!!! Didn't MCG buy that place?

ETA: glad the move went well.

I lived in Augusta from 92-96. I was back through there two weeks ago. What is up with the great interstate wall?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#50]
i think its for the residences next to the highway. it surpresses noise.

i heard on the radio that the interstate construction in Augusta is the biggest road construction in GA history.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top