Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 5/29/2008 4:22:15 AM EST
Went to the local Wegmans today to pick up some sundries and peruse the magazine section. Got the groceries but when I got into the magazine area i found that EVERY magazine with a gun reference was gone, not sold out...removed. Questioned the GM who could not offer an answer, said he would have somebody call me. I suggest we all check our respective Wegmans and question them individually so that the HQ is getting inquiries from all locations, then we can write letters to follow up and call for an ARFCOM and general boycott of Wegmans. I'm PISSED.

Daniel R. Wegman
1500 Brooks Ave.
Rochester, NY 14603
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:55:26 AM EST
I honestly don't think that I ever browsed their book or magazine section as it was always a
'certain mission' type of trip - get that one or two particular specialty items and go elsewhere
for the rest of the groceries.

Probably some soccer-mom saw a picture of a pistol, wet herself, then went and threw a
temper tantrum to the manager.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:40:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
Probably some soccer-mom saw a picture of a pistol, wet herself, then went and threw a
temper tantrum to the manager.....

Quite likely. AND, its not just Wegmans.

I have noticed this sort of SELF-CENSORSHIP of gun-related magazines at many places.

Look, a retailer is not part of Government. They can sell whatever they want (or don't want). But they are easily pressured by individuals and groups. All we can do is try to push back.

Bigger picture is how the antis are trying to portray GUN OWNERSHIP in the USA. Look at the questions they now ask at the doctor's office:

"Do you have a GUN in the home?" Yes.

"Did you know its a danger to your children and to YOU?"

I won't even go into the issue of our public schools.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:20:50 AM EST

Are you sure it's even Wegman's making that decision? A lot of supermarket/drug stores pimp out their magazine/book racks to an outside service. The same way you see the Pepsico guy loading up the soda racks and the Stroehmans guy loading up the bread racks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:30:08 AM EST
Good luck with that boycott folks.
As a former Rochester area resident (the heartland of Wegmans),I remember quite clearly that they,like many other businesses in that region, are anti-gun:
(leave cold pls)
http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=61318&rnews_story_type=18

Our honorable arfcom executive family and NY members aside,even western NY is not known as a hotbed for gun rights.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:56:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By Poodleshooter:
Good luck with that boycott folks.
As a former Rochester area resident (the heartland of Wegmans),I remember quite clearly that they,like many other businesses in that region, are anti-gun:
(leave cold pls)
http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=61318&rnews_story_type=18

Our honorable arfcom executive family and NY members aside,even western NY is not known as a hotbed for gun rights.

Correct. I lived in Buffalo for 2 years (its not as cold as they say. Just snows a lot).

Ownership of any sort of pistol requires a state permit and its easier to get a CCW in VA than it is to get an "Ownership" permit in NY state. I did not bother. They also still have the same assault weapon ban we all once had to live with.

NY is not gun friendly. "Boycott" probably won't work. Taking all your friends (and their children) out shooting on a regular basis - THAT will do some good over time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:30:57 PM EST
Danny Wegman portrays himself as an avid outdoorsman and hunter, inquiries from around his area of operations will cause him to look into the matter, all it takes is question your local store manager. Or don't and let more incrementalism persist.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:48:40 PM EST
Interesting, even places like Giant and Bloom carry weapons mags. I was surprised about Border's selections.

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 1:05:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By DaveAlpern:
Are you sure it's even Wegman's making that decision? A lot of supermarket/drug stores pimp out their magazine/book racks to an outside service. The same way you see the Pepsico guy loading up the soda racks and the Stroehmans guy loading up the bread racks.

I worked at the Fairfax store for 2 years. At no time were there no gun mags but there were times when they were cut down in favor of car mags and other subjects. I can't say why though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:16:58 AM EST
For Giant, I think it is up to the individual stores. At certain locations, they have the Evil Black Rifle magazines and others don't have any gun mags at all.

I tend to avoid the stores without the magazines. Otherwise I'd be bored walking around getting groceries with the gf.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:21:46 AM EST
typically, and outside company is contracted to 'work' the magazine and books,
they may be a local company, or a national one,

the magazine companies may also work by 'pay per scan' or a more simple invoice in, credit out system,

either way, the checkout mags and a large percentage of the magazine rack mags are contracted, as in TV guide, Weekly World News, People etc (or more correctly their parent company or distributor) will pay the company, (not the individual stores, the entire company) for placement at the check stands,
typically they pay a fee to place the mags in a store, and pay for all or part of the fixture it is setting on,

the other mags, depending on the vendor, will be brought in based on sales, or by a predetermined product mix decided by the category manager of either the distributor or store (not the one store, but the store's divisional office or national office)

in other words, If the divisional office gets a complaint, or has a libtard as that catagory manager, they may discontinue (disco) the title(s),

or if they put in say 3 Guns magazines, (or Guns And Ammo, Shooting Times etc) and they credit out 3, after a few months, if it is not a contracted magazine, they may not bring it in again,

this is just a general description of how it works, doesn't explain some of the BS titles that are out there,,,

FWIW, I work for a rather large retail chain, and have had to listen to complaints from customers because of everything from a picture on a book/magazine, type of book/magazine, or in one instance, because a clerk was looking at a magazine, (well actually a catalog from a grip maker that was not even sold at the store), that customer could not fathom how we (the company) would allow our clerks to even look at a picture of a gun,,,

and that starts an entirely different subject!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:51:22 AM EST
I was just advised by the GM at my local Wegmans that the decision was a CORPORATE decision not one made by the news supplier. She suggested going to the Wegmans website and sending an e-mail expressing our displeasure. I will do so as soon as I get to my residence. FLAME ON.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:56:49 AM EST
Wegmans can decide to put on their shelves whatever they want and it doesn't bother me. Living literally across the street from one, I'm a frequent customer there and, to their credit, have not been hassled once about carrying my firearm. I usually carry it concealed, but one time I did open carry because my wife was cold and I gave her my over-shirt (aka - conceal garment).

Nobody said a word.

Just putting it out there that, while they may not carry this stuff on the newsstands, they haven't hassled me over what I actually have on me. Must have something to do with living below the Mason-Dixon line... Sorry about yer situation in the great Yankee Bastille that is New York!

_MaH
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 11:20:37 AM EST
Just an FYI they also gave out gift cards for the Rochester Gun Buyback. But that doesn't affect you either. this just came down on Thursday, lets see what the future holds. Maybe they won't affect your guns.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 8:02:42 PM EST
If you get a corporate response from Wegmans,please post.

I have a feeling I know what it will say.
Probably something fuddish,yet not inconsistent with the views of a majority of western NYers who are fine with "sporting" weapons.
(I was sad to flee western NY; my wife used to work for Wegmans during college).

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:52:56 PM EST
We need to start using the Soccer Mom's tactics against them!
The squeaky wheel gets the grease after all!

Go in there and get the Manager. Yell, scream, throw a fit about not having gun mags on the shelf to buy. Then wet yourself to show them you're serious!
That'll get results!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:14:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By DaveAlpern:

Highly doubt that. Wegmans has some pretty good QC and I don't think they'd allow that.

On a side note the last time I went to the doctor I came across this

And I answered like this

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:13:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By ProjectNick:

On a side note the last time I went to the doctor I came across this

I just wanted to reply because I thought it was funny you put "enough" in the "how much alcohol do you drink a week" column.

As for the OP, was this a business decision, or a decision of ideal?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:55:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By Squib:

I just wanted to reply because I thought it was funny you put "enough" in the "how much alcohol do you drink a week" column.

As for the OP, was this a business decision, or a decision of ideal?

My intake per week will vary from nothing to I'll have zero liver left in less than a month
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:01:05 AM EST
Yes- that is the question I referred to originally.

At my doctor's office, I wrote:

"This is an inappropriate question. Remove this question from your survey immediately."
Top Top